Poll

If it was possible, would it be wise to bring a machine alive?

Yes
6 (75%)
No
2 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Do some machines need to feel emotions?

• 27 Replies

korrelan

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
  • Look into my eyes! WOAH!
    • Google +
Re: Do some machines need to feel emotions?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2017, 08:19:32 pm »
I'm talking about the "real thing".

Oh! A hypothetical question about ‘real life’. This is a very vague area lol. We can’t even define what the ‘real thing’ is.  We humans tend to apply anthropomorphism to most/ all of the machines/ animals in our lives.

http://www.parorobots.com/

The question is: can we arrange the same happening in laboratory conditions?

No doubt about it.  Eventually humankind will be able to create ‘real’ biological living organisms.  We can build viruses and single cells ATM… only a matter of time.

Your scenario however pertaining the living, feeling, ‘invent’ inside the mechanical body would be equivalent to man in a JCB, a pilot in a fighter or even a Darlek, lol.

I think it lies on the burden of proof.  If society or yourself has deemed the ‘invent’ to be ‘alive’ or the ‘real thing’ then all would treat it accordingly.

I’m finding it hard to differentiate a ‘real soul’ from an artificial equivalent though.  We are biochemical machines; we are deemed ‘alive’ because of our species’ experience with one another over the millennia. The ‘soul’ as you call it is a product/ manifestation/ phenomena generated by a complex system.  Once an equivalent machine species has existed among us long enough it will be accepted and considered by everyone to be ‘alive’ and some will even say it has a ‘soul’.

In reality if you are asking will we extend the same level humanity to these ‘invents’ I'm afraid the answer is… look at how humans treat each other.

How many Tamagotchis do you think are still ‘alive’ lol.

An interesting question though.

:)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 09:34:50 pm by korrelan »
It thunk... therefore it is!

keghn

• Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2017, 09:16:17 pm »
  My agi can do fpv using internal simulator and then fly into the head of another person and look out their eyes. 
 Then zero out a few weight in it grand clustering map and temporally forget how it got here and them would 
assume to be that person. It would look over to the left hand and would see a cut bleeding hand. 
 From this it would use its memory to access a time when it had a damaged hand re live the trauma. Then the 
time runs out on the weight and the AGI is pulled back to reality. It remembers the information and the path taken
and the path back. From the information of both time line both now are feeling pain and both want it too stop. One is feeling for the other. 

Tighter A swarm or a collection of cell that come to gether, they will form specialized union, like brain, heart and so on. So
 That it will become 
a supply chain of one depending on the other. A weak link in a chain effect comes more into play here. If one
goes on strike then chaos can be much greater than in a looser swarm of fish.  Need the early warning of emotion can 
provide. 

What ever illusions are in the mind, they are a shadow of the real cat. If the process or the illusion work as good as the
real thing. Then they are the same or just as good.

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hal 4000
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2017, 12:12:51 pm »
8Pla-net - Agreed! Killjoys is a great series and also in a similar vein would be Dark Matter with their onboard android played by Zoie Palmer.
Last year Android (her name) experimented with a "Emotion Chip" that enabled her digital mind to experience various emotions.

Those Sy-Fy shows do more than just entertain, they inspire and help turn the wheels of creative thinking (to those who have such wheels).
http://www.syfy.com/darkmatter
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

keghn

• Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2017, 05:16:50 pm »
  The conscious mind make plans and have goal to chase. Emotions are green light or a red light. Telling the consciousness
the state of supporting sub systems.

Art

• Global Moderator
  • Hal 4000
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2017, 07:59:38 pm »
And of course the Yellow one would be the caution...think a bit before jumping.  O0

keghn

• Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2017, 11:02:28 pm »
 Swarm system have corrective methods, and checks and balances. 
 Swarm intelligence have corrective methods. Such as a temper to burn calories in protest, using calories that could 
have been better used some where else and time.  Or have natural opiate reward for completing a goal which causes 
 relaxation. A secondary reward of conservation of calories. 
  A person is meant to be a clone of their parent. Parent can not leave forever. So you are the replacement. 

When you hear a song that make you want jump up and take on the world. Then you have exceeded  what you parent 
could generate. And thus burn calories as anti reward. Self correcting system to push you back into your place. 
 If you under perform then a bad temper kicks in. 

Now to transcend. 
 A example would be to have a collection of music that is very up lifting or search for one on the internet or radio. 
 When it is played and it is very up lifting then you are to relax as much as possible. Conservation of calories.   
 If a song starts to get stale then do not relax. Burn calories in looking for another. 
 If you fumble in looking, then get a really a good temper going on.   

Art

• Global Moderator
  • Hal 4000
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2017, 02:11:33 pm »
Hmm...is this part of a Swarm weight-loss program? ;)

keghn

• Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2017, 02:35:59 pm »

no     

Zero

• Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
  • Fictional character
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2017, 02:47:34 pm »
I think I would rather have a stable logical AI than an unstable emotional AI; it’s definitely a choice between a ‘rock and a hard place’ but the latter would remind me of my ex wives too much lol.

I think that a logical-only AI wouldn't be recognized as an AI success by people. Take the movie "I, robot" with Will Smith. A robot is considered alive when it has a heart, litteraly (the robot has a second brain in its chest, if you remember). That's also the case in Terminator IV, where the movies ends on this quote: "what makes us human? it is the strength of the human heart".

The "heart" (which (american people believe) is more than a blood-pumping organ), is a symbol of AGI success. Nobody will be called "the father of modern AI" until crying programs exist.
PRO|STAMINA [ programming game ]

keghn

• Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2017, 04:01:46 pm »
 Crying is for a under performing clone behavior that burns calories and it is a good non vocal and indirect
 communication that work well in a 3 d simulator for identity emotional state in another person.

ivan.moony

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
  • look, a star is falling
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2017, 06:49:22 pm »
Emotional intelligence (EI) is the capability of individuals to recognize their own and other people's emotions, discern between different feelings and label them appropriately, use emotional information to guide thinking and behavior, and manage and/or adjust emotions to adapt to environments or achieve one's goal(s).

korrelan

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
  • Look into my eyes! WOAH!
    • Google +
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2017, 12:05:25 pm »
I think that a logical-only AI wouldn't be recognized as an AI success by people.

I suppose it depends on what you require from your AGI. 

I personally don’t think an AGI that bursts into tears when it sees starving kids in a third world country an asset… emotion clouds logic (RIP Spock).  I need an AGI that understands the problems and works the solutions.

Yes, an emotional AGI could be useful in certain problem spaces, caring for the elderly and children etc. and I’m sure they will be developed… probably by/ with the help of non emotional AGI’s but I don’t see them as a priority.  We have so far used our technology/ modern computers to help solve many of our problems but these accomplishments will pale once a AGI is created.

I have experimented with emotions in my AGI and have a good understanding of how to endow the AGI with human equivalent emotional intelligence… but the word ‘unstable’ doesn’t begin to describe the effect on the systems stability… I have too limited mental recourses too solve that problem atm.

An AGI will ultimately be judged by its actions and accomplishments; and its own arguments and explanations as to why it should considered alive.

Edit: I know my view point can sometimes seem naïve and narrow; I'm not a philosopher I'm an engineer. My only concern/ focus is building the AGI… once it figures out how to hack our consciousness and bypass our innate personalities/ humanity… then its someone else’s problem lol.

:)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 12:46:58 pm by korrelan »
It thunk... therefore it is!

LOCKSUIT

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
  • First it wiggles, then it is rewarded.
    • Enter Lair
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2017, 07:59:58 am »
"Do some machines need to feel emotions?"

Some machines. But not all machines.

Users Online

27 Guests, 1 User
Users active in past 15 minutes:
Freddy
[Administrator]

Most Online Today: 49. Most Online Ever: 208 (August 27, 2008, 09:36:30 am)

Articles