Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General AI Discussion / Re: Map of Computer Science
« Last post by keghn on September 20, 2017, 06:00:45 pm »
Format Wars: ASCII vs EBCDIC: 

Future of AI / Re: The way we build A.I.
« Last post by Zero on September 20, 2017, 02:43:40 pm »
Medlock is basically saying that if the goal is to create machines that are just as intelligent and adaptable as human beings, we should start building A.I. systems that possess these types of embodied models of the world in order to give intelligent machines the type of power and flexibility that humans already exhibit.

If I understand correctly, he says we should create batteries-included adult AI in a body, instead of empty-baby AI in nothingness. If that's what he's saying, then I agree.
Future of AI / Detecting Alzheimer's before it happens...
« Last post by Art on September 20, 2017, 02:30:04 pm »
Promising research using A.I. is being conducted in an effort to detect the advent of Alzheimer's Disease.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/17/ai-alzheimers-early-detection/
Future of AI / The way we build A.I.
« Last post by Art on September 20, 2017, 02:17:48 pm »
Ben Medlock, founder of Swiftkey explains his take on how A.I. might be built.

https://www.inverse.com/article/35862-a-i-ben-medlock-machine-intelligence-cell-not-brain

Robotics News / Identifying optimal product prices
« Last post by Tyler on September 20, 2017, 12:00:29 pm »
Identifying optimal product prices
18 September 2017, 9:10 pm

How can online businesses leverage vast historical data, computational power, and sophisticated machine-learning techniques to quickly analyze and forecast demand, and to optimize pricing and increase revenue?

A research highlight article in the Fall 2017 issue of MIT Sloan Management Review by MIT Professor David Simchi-Levi describes new insights into demand forecasting and price optimization.

Algorithm increases revenue by 10 percent in six months

Simchi-Levi developed a machine-learning algorithm, which won the INFORMS Revenue Management and Pricing Section Practice Award, and first implemented it at online retailer Rue La La.

The initial research goal was to reduce inventory, but what the company ended up with was “a cutting-edge, demand-shaping application that has a tremendous impact on the retailer’s bottom line,” Simchi-Levi says.

Rue La La’s big challenge was pricing on items that have never been sold before and therefore required a pricing algorithm that could set higher prices for some first-time items and lower prices for others.

Within six months of implementing the algorithm, it increased Rue La La’s revenue by 10 percent.

Forecast, learn, optimize

Simchi-Levi's process involves three steps for generating better price predictions:

The first step involves matching products with similar characteristics to the products to be optimized. A relationship between demand and price is then predicted with the help of a machine-learning algorithm.

The second step requires testing a price against actual sales, and adjusting the product's pricing curve to match real-life results.  

In the third and final step, a new curve is applied to help optimize pricing across many products and time periods.

Predicting consumer demand at Groupon

Groupon has a huge product portfolio and launches thousands of new deals every day, offering them for only a short time period. Since Groupon has such a short sales period, predicting demand was a big problem and forecasting near impossible.

Applying Simchi-Levi’s approach to this use case began by generating multiple demand functions. By then applying a test price and observing customers’ decisions, insights were gleaned on how much was sold — information that could identify the demand function closest to the level of sales at the learning price. This was the final demand-price function used, and it was used as the basis for optimizing price during the optimization period.

Analysis of the results from the field experiment showed that this new approach increased Groupon’s revenue by about 21 percent but had a much bigger impact on low-volume deals. For deals with fewer bookings per day than the median, the average increase in revenue was 116 percent, while revenue increased only 14 percent for deals with more bookings per day than the median.

Potential to disrupt consumer banking and insurance

The ability to automate pricing enables companies to optimize pricing for more products than most organizations currently find possible. This method has also been used for a bricks-and-mortar application by applying the method to a company’s promotion and pricing, in various retail channels, with similar results.

“I am very pleased that our pricing algorithm can achieve such positive results in a short timeframe,” Simchi-Levi says. “We expect that this method will soon be used not only in retail but also in the consumer banking industry. Indeed, my team at MIT has developed related methods that have recently been applied in the airline and insurance industries.”

Source: MIT News - CSAIL - Robotics - Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL) - Robots - Artificial intelligence

Reprinted with permission of MIT News : MIT News homepage

General AI Discussion / Re: AI safety
« Last post by Zero on September 20, 2017, 09:42:12 am »
Don't you trust justice and democracy, at least on a conceptual level? Why should AI makers interfere with these mechanisms? That's not our job!

Hey, I didn't know you were a woman, WriterOfMinds! In french, it's easier to identify gender of speaker than in english. Are there other women on this forum?
General AI Discussion / Re: outline from gadient mask
« Last post by keghn on September 19, 2017, 10:01:38 pm »
General AI Discussion / Re: The focuses
« Last post by keghn on September 19, 2017, 10:00:20 pm »
 The Center point for the AGI memory is cyclical graph theory map: 

https://www.google.com/search?q=Cycle+graph&client=ubuntu&hs=rnR&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiB6KXNi7LWAhUQx2MKHRPJDHIQ_AUICigB&biw=1194&bih=609#imgrc=RYLi3qRafft__M:

Temporal time is linear. But the AGI mind uses illusion of repeating pattern. Also known as lossy temporal data
compression. 
  The focus pointer track the paths from node to edges to nodes. This memory model needs the support 3 other memory
models to work.    the fist is raw memory. The third is recurrent memory. The forth is constructor memory. 

Repeating pattern found in raw memory are moved to the second memory of cyclical memory.
 Cyclical memory is a like a race track. One can lose track on how may time you go around a track. So that is where
recurrent memory come in. It is a small memory that record only first hundred laps around a loop. FIFO memory.   

The first memory, raw memory, is much lager and it is FIFO memory. First in data and first data to be dump out.
 So before the data is lost something should be done with it. 

The fourth memory is the constructor and predictor memory. Focus pointer build the future form cyclic memory. And also
from the help of the sixth memory of simulator memory. 

« Last post by ivan.moony on September 19, 2017, 09:55:24 pm »
I'm thinking about justification of using force in extreme situations. What would rules that allow using force look like? I hope not like a common state laws that all countries rely upon, because those laws are one big crazy cabbage, a dragon with thirteen heads, and when you chop off one head, three new grow up in its place.

All I know is that it should be simple enough so when you look at it, you can say: yeah, that's it, no doubt, let's do it. Is this even possible?
« Last post by ivan.moony on September 19, 2017, 06:01:16 pm »
Yes, we are stressing the subject all the time. To sum it out, WriterOfMinds would mix using force and being ethical in the same time, and I think she's not the only one. My consideration is that that kind of AI would wipe out this planet when it sees the way it works. Only plants would be spared. So I propose the pure pacifist AI, just in case, corroborated by a vibe of forgiveness we all experience with Mother Nature. But WriterOfMinds is relentless.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Map of Computer Science
by keghn (General AI Discussion)
September 20, 2017, 06:00:45 pm
The way we build A.I.
by Zero (Future of AI)
September 20, 2017, 02:43:40 pm
Detecting Alzheimer's before it happens...
by Art (Future of AI)
September 20, 2017, 02:30:04 pm
AI safety
by Zero (General AI Discussion)
September 20, 2017, 09:42:12 am
outline from gadient mask
September 19, 2017, 10:01:38 pm
The focuses
September 19, 2017, 10:00:20 pm
Grats to SquareBear
by Freddy (General Chatbots and Software)
September 19, 2017, 12:58:18 pm
XKCD Comic : Obsolete Technology
by Tyler (XKCD Comic)
September 19, 2017, 12:00:10 pm

Users Online

17 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 18. Most Online Ever: 208 (August 27, 2008, 09:36:30 am)

Articles