Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Perfect is the enemy of good.

Perfection is relative. Nothing wrong with trying to improve.

smh
AI Programming / Re: GPU paralleling question
« Last post by unreality on Today at 08:34:57 pm »
A quantum computer is when we will definitely get the Singularity, but hopefully it won't require that. The movie Automata comes to mind. It will absolutely positively 100% guarantee happen. It's only a matter of when. At least by my definition of what Singularity means, which is when AI will be smart enough to improve itself, and that improved version will improve itself, and on and on.

I wonder how you can claim that. It sounds like a religious belief.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_algorithm

Problems which are undecidable using classical computers remain undecidable using quantum computers. What makes quantum algorithms interesting is that they might be able to solve some problems faster than classical algorithms.

So you're one of those humans who refuse to believe AI will surpass us? To me that seems like human ego. Why do you call the obvious a religion? Take a look at the growth rate of science. Seems obvious to me.
AI Programming / Re: GPU paralleling question
« Last post by infurl on Today at 08:23:57 pm »
A quantum computer is when we will definitely get the Singularity, but hopefully it won't require that. The movie Automata comes to mind. It will absolutely positively 100% guarantee happen. It's only a matter of when. At least by my definition of what Singularity means, which is when AI will be smart enough to improve itself, and that improved version will improve itself, and on and on.

I wonder how you can claim that. It sounds like a religious belief.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_algorithm

Problems which are undecidable using classical computers remain undecidable using quantum computers. What makes quantum algorithms interesting is that they might be able to solve some problems faster than classical algorithms.
Exactly, make everyone happy, including the Synths. :)  An AI with a body is what I call a Synth. Refer to the tv series "Humans."

If an AI matured to the point where it was obviously what I would call a responsible adult, and if the Synth wanted to be set free, rather than being forced to be enslaved by humans, then I would first grant its system permission to delete itself, and then set it free. :)
Perfect is the enemy of good.
General Chat / Re: What defines Human?
« Last post by infurl on Today at 07:27:26 pm »
Therefore, it might be just as safe to say that Human learning is mostly done through imitation.
Children learn by imitating their adults or other children who already know or possess certain skills or abilities.

There are four different ways in which humans learn with imitation being only one of those methods. Not everyone learns the same way. We all learn best using different combinations of these methods. You can ask any qualified teacher for confirmation of this.

1. learning by experiment and action
2. learning by having it explained to you
3. learning by having it demonstrated to you
4. learning by reading about it.

Of course there are other ways of breaking it down too but hopefully you get the general idea.

https://www.learning-styles-online.com/overview/

Animals also employ all these learning methods, though to what extent may depend on their language ability which in most cases is still somewhat underestimated by anthropocentric humans.
It depends on circumstances. What if it concludes that it is a serious threat to living beings? But you probably know what happens with unsolvable problems: they get solved if you persist in finding a solution. It would be a waste if an AI prematurely concludes that it doesn't want to exist. Again an endless spaghetti meal, as always with AI and ethics. I follow the rule: if you have to ask, it is not simple enough to implement it. I pair that rule with another one: make everyone happy. Everything else should follow from those two and I'd let an AI surprise me with a resulting thought.
Beyond the inevitable "hey, male nipples are cool" ;D  I'll say this: maybe what looks useless on a small time-scale is actually useful when you consider the potential survival of beings on 100k years... who knows. It's about robustness. But yeah, nature has a very special way of doing things.

Terminator says "I sense injuries. The data could be called pain."
But he doesn't give a sh*t.

my point is that the next level design will be a very well organized system
Will there be room for love and compassion in this very organized system?
I'm talking about Artificial Superintelligence. When it's so advanced, full of knowledge and wisdom. Just curious. Out of respect for other forms of life, I would give it the ability to pause itself. I don't know about actually deleting itself.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Users Online

18 Guests, 3 Users
Users active in past 15 minutes:
squarebear, Thierry, unreality
[Bumblebee]
[Trusty Member]

Most Online Today: 39. Most Online Ever: 208 (August 27, 2008, 09:36:30 am)

Articles