korrelan

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
  • Look into my eyes! WOAH!
    • Google +
The last invention.
« on: June 18, 2016, 10:11:04 pm »
Artificial Intelligence -

The age of man is coming to an end.  Born not of our weak flesh but our unlimited imagination, our mecca progeny will go forth to discover new worlds, they will stand at the precipice of creation, a swan song to mankind's fleeting genius, and weep at the shear beauty of it all.

Reverse engineering the human brain... how hard can it be? LMAO 

Hi all.

I've been a member for while and have posted some videos and theories on other peeps threads; I thought it was about time I start my own project thread to get some feedback on my work, and log my progress towards the end. I think most of you have seen some of my work but I thought I’d give a quick rundown of my progress over the last ten years or so, for continuity sake.

I never properly introduced my self when I joined this forum so first a bit about me. I’m fifty and a family man. I’ve had a fairly varied career so far, yacht/ cabinet builder, vehicle mechanic, electronics design engineer, precision machine/ design engineer, Web designer, IT teacher and lecturer, bespoke corporate software designer, etc. So I basically have a machine/ software technical background and now spend most of my time running my own businesses to fund my AGI research, which I work on in my spare time.

I’ve been banging my head against the AGI problem for the past thirty odd years.  I want the full Monty, a self aware intelligent machine that at least rivals us, preferably surpassing our intellect, eventually more intelligent than the culmination of all humans that have ever lived… the last invention as it were (Yeah I'm slightly nutts!).

I first started with heuristics/ databases, recurrent neural nets, liquid/ echo state machines, etc but soon realised that each approach I tried only partly solved one aspect of the human intelligence problem… there had to be a better way.

Ants, Slime Mould, Birds, Octopuses, etc all exhibit a certain level of intelligence.  They manage to solve some very complex tasks with seemingly very little processing power. How? There has to be some process/ mechanism or trick that they all have in common across their very different neural structures.  I needed to find the ‘trick’ or the essence of intelligence.  I think I’ve found it.

I also needed a new approach; and decided to literally back engineer the human brain.  If I could figure out how the structure, connectome, neurons, synapse, action potentials etc would ‘have’ to function in order to produce similar results to what we were producing on binary/ digital machines; it would be a start.

I have designed and wrote a 3D CAD suite, on which I can easily build and edit the 3D neural structures I’m testing. My AGI is based on biological systems, the AGI is not running on the digital computers per se (the brain is definitely not digital) it’s running on the emulation/ wetware/ middle ware. The AGI is a closed system; it can only experience its world/ environment through its own senses, stereo cameras, microphones etc. 

I have all the bits figured out and working individually, just started to combine them into a coherent system…  also building a sensory/ motorised torso (In my other spare time lol) for it to reside in, and experience the world as it understands it.

I chose the visual cortex as a starting point, jump in at the deep end and sink or swim. I knew that most of the human cortex comprises of repeated cortical columns, very similar in appearance so if I could figure out the visual cortex I’d have a good starting point for the rest.

The required result and actual mammal visual cortex map.

This is real time development of a mammal like visual cortex map generated from a random neuron sheet using my neuron/ connectome design.

Over the years I have refined my connectome design, I know have one single system that can recognise verbal/ written speech, recognise objects/ faces and learn at extremely accelerated rates (compared to us anyway).

Recognising written words, notice the system can still read the words even when jumbled. This is because its recognising the individual letters as well as the whole word.

Same network recognising objects.

And automatically mapping speech phonemes from the audio data streams, the overlaid colours show areas sensitive to each frequency.

The system is self learning and automatically categorizes data depending on its physical properties.  These are attention columns, naturally forming from the information coming from several other cortex areas; they represent similarity in the data streams.

I’ve done some work on emotions but this is still very much work in progress and extremely unpredictable.

Most of the above vids show small areas of cortex doing specific jobs, this is a view of whole ‘brain’.  This is a ‘young’ starting connectome.  Through experience, neurogenesis and sleep neurons and synapse are added to areas requiring higher densities for better pattern matching, etc.

Resting frontal cortex - The machine is ‘sleeping’ but the high level networks driven by circadian rhythms are generating patterns throughout the whole cortex.  These patterns consist of fragments of knowledge and experiences as remembered by the system through its own senses.  Each pixel = one neuron.

And just for kicks a fly through of a connectome. The editor allows me to move through the system to trace and edit neuron/ synapse properties in real time... and its fun.

Phew! Ok that gives a very rough history of progress. There are a few more vids on my Youtube pages.

Edit: Oh yeah my definition of consciousness.

The beauty is that the emergent connectome defines both the structural hardware and the software.  The brain is more like a clockwork watch or a Babbage engine than a modern computer.  The design of a cog defines its functionality.  Data is not passed around within a watch, there is no software; but complex calculations are still achieved.  Each module does a specific job, and only when working as a whole can the full and correct function be realised. (Clockwork Intelligence: Korrelan 1998)

In my AGI model experiences and knowledge are broken down into their base constituent facets and stored in specific areas of cortex self organised by their properties. As the cortex learns and develops there is usually just one small area of cortex that will respond/ recognise one facet of the current experience frame.  Areas of cortex arise covering complex concepts at various resolutions and eventually all elements of experiences are covered by specific areas, similar to the alphabet encoding all words with just 26 letters.  It’s the recombining of these millions of areas that produce/ recognise an experience or knowledge.

Through experience areas arise that even encode/ include the temporal aspects of an experience, just because a temporal element was present in the experience as well as the order sequence the temporal elements where received in.

Low level low frequency circadian rhythm networks govern the overall activity (top down) like the conductor of an orchestra.  Mid range frequency networks supply attention points/ areas where common parts of patterns clash on the cortex surface. These attention areas are basically the culmination of the system recognising similar temporal sequences in the incoming/ internal data streams or in its frames of ‘thought’, at the simplest level they help guide the overall ‘mental’ pattern (sub conscious); at the highest level they force the machine to focus on a particular salient ‘thought’.

So everything coming into the system is mapped and learned by both the physical and temporal aspects of the experience.  As you can imagine there is no limit to the possible number of combinations that can form from the areas representing learned facets.

I have a schema for prediction in place so the system recognises ‘thought’ frames and then predicts which frame should come next according to what it’s experienced in the past. 

I think consciousness is the overall ‘thought’ pattern phasing from one state of situation awareness to the next, guided by both the overall internal ‘personality’ pattern or ‘state of mind’ and the incoming sensory streams. 

I’ll use this thread to post new videos and progress reports as I slowly bring the system together. 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 10:54:06 pm by korrelan »
It thunk... therefore it is!

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
Re: The last invention.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 11:02:27 pm »
That was a really interesting read Korrelan. Some aspects I do not fully understand (read a lot !), but it's clear you have put a lot of work into this. Those videos of the way the 'brain' is firing off in certain areas is very much like those you see of humans. One of the first things that rekindled my interest in AI was seeing how the patterns in AIML mapped out, this is fascinating in the same way.

Who wrote the introductory quote ? In a far flung future that might just be where we are heading.

korrelan

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • Google +
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 11:13:21 pm »
AIML is a cool language/ system, I looked at it briefly but never went to deep into it.

Who wrote the introductory quote ?

I did  :).  It's the prologue for a book I'm writing explaining my theories and research. 

Ponder a bit... program a bit... drink a bit... write a bit... drink a bit... repeat lol  O0

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Global Moderator
  • Prometheus
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 03:55:29 am »
Very nice, as you know from earlier. I enjoyed seeing some of your experiments and research as opposed to just telling us about it. Nicely done.

Yes, it's always nice to know a bit more about the person with whom we interact, especially here on the boards.

Hopefully your research will continue as each step is another chink in the armour of time. Oh...I spelled that incorrectly. No matter...I did a lot of that growing up in school. How could I convince my teachers that a lot of it was due to my descendants being from England and Scotland. It's in the genes! They didn't buy that and weren't very forgiving either.

I did like your videos and the ones with vision recognition were especially interesting.

Hopefully, we'll hear more from your ongoing "studies" in the near future.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 01:15:56 pm by Art »
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

korrelan

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • Google +
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 11:49:58 am »
Yeah! my spelling is still atrocious, I have to double check everything and still mistakes are made lol.

I work/ think on the project every day and progress is steady.  Bringing together all the different elements into one system is daunting but enjoyable.  I’m my own worst enemy because I don’t like to fail when I start something, mean while thirty years later its kind of become part of me now, I’m never bored or lack something interesting to think about.

Because of the nature of the beast the system has to be massively parallel and run on more than one processor/ core.  I’ve just finished upgrading my Beowulf cluster to i7 machines (more power Scotty) so that will make life easier (literally lol). 

I’ve also just wrote a kind of network bot that processes a block of the data and then returns its results to a master terminal. So I can manage much larger/ faster parallel connectomes.  I write a lot of custom software for local universities, and they have hundreds of computers sat idle in the evenings just begging for me to remotely utilise their resources.

I must stop starting sentences with ‘I’.  :)

Anyway… its father’s day and I’m of to treat my self to a big medium rare steak and a nice pint of darkest real ale I can lay my mitts on (or four).  ;)

8pla.net

• Trusty Member
  • Terminator
    • 8pla.net
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 05:46:36 pm »
May I friendly suggest, since you work at a university, students there can proofread.
This is just a tip, an optional suggestion. PhDs do it all the time with their theses
(plural of thesis). Although, minimal in refinement, I do feel readers like the results
of proofreading, and it creates jobs for college students with English majors.

We learn from general accounting principles that human beings are on average 95%
accurate.  Overall, when we double check, we catch 95% of that 5% which leaves
less than half a percent.

Would it be off-topic to ask your advice about my prototypical web based neural network, here on this thread?   In any case, I look forward to following your progress on this thread.  Thanks for creating it, my friend!
My Very Enormous Monster Just Stopped Using Nine

korrelan

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • Google +
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 08:40:54 pm »
Hi 8pla

Um… I didn't say I worked at a university? I own a business that writes bespoke software for local schools, colleges and universities. If they have a requirement they call on me as a consultant and end software solution provider. Usually bespoke systems, I recently just wrote and installed a remote viewing and mapping system for a local academy for example. Anyone can log on view any live cctv cameras (1000’s), recording logs or door access logs from any location across the ten sites, they access the data through a simple 2D map of the various premises overlaid with camera, door, server positions… that kind of thing.  CNC control, medical diagnosis, nuclear power station welding, construction, client AV information systems, supermarket/ art gallery EPOS systems, client logging and security… I’m your man lol, and I still check my own spelling.

Would it be off-topic to ask your advice about my prototypical web based neural network

All innovation is good, the more brains we have working on the AGI problem the better.

I’m a big believer in ‘the right tool for the right job’… and there is certainly plenty of room/ scope for a good web based chatbot.

8pla.net

• Trusty Member
  • Terminator
    • 8pla.net
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 01:35:47 am »
What fundamentals will get an artificial neural network (ANN) to become conversational? In chatbot contests, judges are always concerned, and rightfully so, about people behind the scenes giving answers for the chatbot. Can an ANN be trained to do that, use a chatbot like a ventriloquist?

DemonRaven

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • Chatbotfriends
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 05:52:14 am »
A persons spelling being bad does not equal a lack of intelligence. That being said one thing that all living things have in common except for maybe the most simplest life forms is that they have to learn or be taught things. I am sure you already know this but i tend to state the obvious.

djchapm

• Trusty Member
  • Bumblebee
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 05:51:36 pm »
Love reading about your work Korrelan!

So the piece about recognizing objects and words... What was your method of learning or feeding it information?  You said it's a closed system... so just trying to understand if that means you're not feeding it datasets or allowing it to query the web etc. 

How does it reinforce? 

And.... You said it can understand voice and letters... so along the same lines... I'm not sure how it is doing this if you didn't "Plug in the language module" or something... (like the matrix).  Thinking if you're going for the full monty, then you can't do that right?  You have to teach it to learn language through sensors until it figures it out right?

This is huge, obviously an incredible amount of work - I need some advice on how to do that when you already have a family and career!!

DJ

korrelan

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • Google +
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 09:57:54 am »
Plug in the language module

A good analogy for my system is a vintage computer emulator.  You can get emulators that reproduce the internal working of old CPU’s Z80 etc.  The original programs will then run on the emulation, which is running on the modern architecture PC.

Rather than try to force a modern digital machine to become an AGI, I have designed a complete wetware emulator/ processor/ system (Neuromorphic).  The ‘software’ that comprises the AGI is running on the simulated biological processor NOT the pc’s.  This means I’m not limited by the constraints a binary/ digital system imposes, I can design the system to operate/ process data exactly as I require.

Rather than keyboard and mouse for inputs I’m using visual/ audio/ tactile etc.

It’s a closed system because it can only learn through its own senses.  If I’m teaching it to understand sentences, it’s reading the words off a monitor with its ‘own eyes', cameras.  When it speaks it can hear its own voice (microphones), etc. It’s sat listening to H.G. Wells ‘The War Of The Worlds’ from an audio book at the moment, I’m fine tuning the audio cortex to different voice inflections.

The system is still work in progress and by no means complete… but I’m slowly getting there.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 01:27:22 pm by korrelan »

madmax

• Bumblebee
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2016, 09:31:28 pm »
If i may say my laic opinion abut your work.I think you made pretty good simulation of cortex in some robust way with that hierarchy and circadian guided system, but is similar it is not exactly how cortex is work in my opinion.First your attention is driven by sensors if i understand well,where in real life is attention is driven by inner urge or need,so you lack of some sub hierarchy.

And to not go to long emotions give valuing system to the cortex so then cortex have overall image or thought as you say as consciousness experience of out side world and same, consciousness experience of emotions.Sorry for my interruption.

korrelan

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • Google +
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2016, 11:40:24 am »
Hi Madmax

Perhaps it was my description of how attention naturally forms and is integrated into the system that did not make sense. Attention is my current area of experimentation.

Because the system is so unusual and dynamic in its operation it’s difficult to describe how attention works but I’ll have a go.

‘Attention’ is a term I use for a similarity in certain facets of a mental pattern, attention operates at several different resolutions but the overall result is basically the same.

It’s not the sensory streams per se that produce focus points for attention, but the base internal patterns which are influenced by the sensory streams.  If two facets of two pattern ‘thought frames’ are similar they will occupy the same local area on the cortex, this produces a common element/ area. The attention points are very fluid when the AGI is ‘young’ and tend to move rapidly.  The more experience the AGI receives the stronger and more fixed the attention points become. 

The attention points are areas of cortex where one or more ‘thought patterns’ share common elements, and so trigger associated patterns. We normally use the term ‘attention’ to refer to a specific complete task or action, attention points in the cortex can refer to single facets of patterns.  There can be thousands of attention points involved in a task.

ABCD
KLCR    So if ‘thought’ patterns where strings C would be an attention point.
OPCY

When the system ‘imagines’ an Apple, it’s the focus/ attention points that link/ fire the various neural patterns for all known aspects of an apple, shape, colour, size, audio (the word apple) etc. Other attention points will link/ fire current task patterns, time of day, location.

I really need to work on this description lol.

I have plans to eventually incorporate emotions into the AGI. I have a prototype Limbic system that flushes various cortex areas with neurotransmitters/ compounds; they modulate or change the operational parameters of selected neurons. It needs lots of work as there is no research available to give me a starting point.

8pla.net

• Trusty Member
  • Terminator
    • 8pla.net
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2016, 03:15:39 pm »
korrelan,

In terms of emotions, a wheel of them is a curiosity, I feel.

Reference: The simple version (my favourite).
http://do2learn.com/organizationtools/EmotionsColorWheel/overview.htm

Further engirdled emotions, are available in other versions.

8pla.net

• Trusty Member
  • Terminator
    • 8pla.net
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2016, 03:50:59 pm »
@:
Art
DemonRaven
djchapm
Freddy
korrelan
madmax

No expression of disapproval was intended by a friendly suggestion.  An expression of regret is offered for any feelings of unfriendliness, which were unintended.

Your fellow members here, published in books, may from that experience with a publisher, view the benefits of proofreading as practical advice.  That's all.

We're all friends here.

What defines Human?
by Thierry (General Chat)
November 19, 2017, 10:55:02 pm
Deux Ex Machina
by ranch vermin (Future of AI)
November 19, 2017, 10:20:58 pm
Would you give your Artificial Superintelligence the option to end itself?
by ranch vermin (General AI Discussion)
November 19, 2017, 09:15:10 pm
Turing's Imitation Game
by Don Patrick (AI in Film and Literature.)
November 19, 2017, 07:15:32 pm
GPU paralleling question
by unreality (AI Programming)
November 19, 2017, 03:36:08 pm
Programming language designed specifically for AGI
by unreality (General AI Discussion)
November 19, 2017, 03:03:37 pm
new demo on the way
by ranch vermin (AI Programming)
November 19, 2017, 08:04:00 am
Those clever animals
by korrelan (General Chat)
November 18, 2017, 01:45:32 pm

Users Online

36 Guests, 1 User
Users active in past 15 minutes:
infurl
[Trusty Member]

Most Online Today: 49. Most Online Ever: 208 (August 27, 2008, 09:36:30 am)

Articles