Author Topic: The last invention.  (Read 8243 times)

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Hal 4000
Re: The last invention.
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2016, 12:56:10 AM »
Thank you 8pla but like you said, we're all friends here and no feathers were ruffled here with me at all.

All suggestions are like opinions...everyone has them from time to time and they are always subject to interpretation of usefulness by the recipient. ;)

It was nice of you to offer your good intentions, none-the-less. It shows good character! It's all good here!
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

korrelan

• Replicant
  • Look into my eyes! WOAH!
    • Main YouTube
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2016, 12:18:05 PM »

I've had a few spare hours lately so I've redesigned the bots head. The hobby servos on the old head were too noisy (microphones/ ears were positioned close to servos)) so I'm building a new version using stepper motors; faster, quieter and much better positioning. Still have to attach the gyros, accelerometers, mouth display, microphones, etc and get it back on the body.  I said I’d post regular updates so…

It thunk... therefore it is!

madmax

• Bumblebee
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2016, 02:07:52 PM »
Thanks for explaining.What is my view point from first post that your attention could be triggered any time by sufficient ´thought patterns´ so if your bot don't have inner needs or some system of pre-programmed laws of behavior it will act schizophrenic like, in my opinion.

There is some research about inner unconscious origin of emotion through some basic liking and disliking system but findings are still on debate ,what i know and i dont know much.  http://lsa.umich.edu/psych/research&labs/berridge/publications/Berridge%20&%20Winkielman%20unconscious%20emotion%202003.pdf

8pla.net

• Replicant
    • 8pla.net
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2016, 09:19:43 PM »
Swapping servos out for stepper motors, is interesting.

Using servos, text to speech may be lip synced.

How about with steppers, I wonder?

By mouth display, it does not use motors, right?
My Very Enormous Monster Just Stopped Using Nine

keghn

• Starship Trooper
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2016, 09:46:15 PM »
 Hay ya Korrelan, how is this connected to you computer?
 Is it usb, c/c++ ethernet socket programming or ?
 Are you using a breakout board like arduino?

korrelan

• Replicant
    • Main YouTube
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2016, 10:07:03 PM »
@8pla

By mouth display, it does not use motors, right?

The bot is a case of function over form at the moment.  The last head used a simple led strip that modulated to vocal output. There has to be enough expression from the bot to aid human interaction but still allow for my experimentation with senses.  The two cameras give a wide periphery with a 30% stereo overlap.  The telephoto center camera provides a high resolution fovea. The rotational X axis is 35 degree angled (front to back) to teach the motor cortex to combine complex X,Y combinations to track a level X movement, etc.

The arms are in progress and are much more anthropomorphic.

It’s a catch 22… the AGI needs a body and senses to experience our world, but if I spend to much time developing the bot then I’m not working on the AGI cortex, which is the main project.

:)

korrelan

• Replicant
    • Main YouTube
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2016, 10:23:44 PM »
@keghn

How is this connected to you computer?

At the moment I'm using a SDK provided with a serial RS-232 to 485 converter I acquired.  The camera gimbal is using steppers, so I'm driving them with a PTZ controller which requires a 485 signal. I had the bits available.

There are many cheap PC USB stepper interfaces available, or indeed for the arduino, Rasberry Pi, etc.

:)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 10:47:51 PM by korrelan »

keghn

• Starship Trooper
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2016, 11:57:41 PM »
 That is cool i understand. Serial communication. You are way ahead of me.

For me i am going to us socket programing. Usb is too hard to work with. For communicating between
my laptop and rasphrry pi 3.
 Then the raspherry will do all communication to vision, sound, motors, sensors, and wheel encoders.

C Programming in Linux Tutorial #034 - Socket Programming

8pla.net

• Replicant
    • 8pla.net
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2016, 03:39:21 AM »
What about a USB-Serial adapter?

korrelan

• Replicant
    • Main YouTube
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2016, 07:38:29 AM »
There are loads of ready made controllers available…

http://www.robotshop.com/uk/stepper-motor-controllers.html

Some are even supplied with example code…

https://www.pc-control.co.uk/stepperbee_info.htm

http://www.phidgets.com/products.php?category=13

If you don’t mind dabbling in simple electronics, one of the cheapest/ simplest/ fastest output methods from a PC is to use LDR (light detecting resistor) sensors arranged in a strip across the bottom of your screen.  Simply changing the shade of the block under the LDR directly from your software can drive a relay/ servo/ solenoid/ etc. This obviously also acts as optical isolator so keeps the systems separate and safe. I used this method many years ago to drive bots from a ZX80.

I'm building a variation on this interface that allows hundreds of mixed complex output signals to simply control a single servo.

One of my biggest output problems is that because the connectome is based on biological systems, joint flexion is expressed as two opposite competing signals over many different muscle groups (bicep, tricep, etc). Throw torque and position feedback into the mix and you have a complex feedback loop.  The motor controller is going to have to convert these signals into a useable form for the steppers/ servos. So it looks like I’m going to have to build my own.  Signal to response lag is also going to be a problem.

@keghn

I use separate input modules/ programs for audio/ vision/ tactile feedback that communicate with the main PC cluster through TCP pipes. This keeps the processing load of converting video to neural code etc off the main cluster. I also use TCP to control the output PC from the main cluster… again to help split the load.

So yeah! A raspberry pi with a breakout board would be cool for this.

keghn

• Starship Trooper
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2016, 01:29:31 PM »
@korrelan

Cluster?......................................................?

Like your putting together a bunch of PC with a local ethernet/wt-fi, to work as one?

Well, at the moment this is the direction i am headed:

http://hackaday.com/2016/01/25/raspberry-pi-zero-cluster-packs-a-punch/

8pla.net

• Replicant
    • 8pla.net
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2016, 04:14:10 PM »
This guy created his own stepper motor driver board, which runs off a parallel port:

The Turbo C Language source code can be seen by freezing the video frames.

keghn

• Starship Trooper
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2016, 04:27:31 PM »
 Talk about having the rug pulled out from under you I had made a external data and address bus
that used the parallel printer port, That accessed all of my external motors, sensors, and audio.
 And then the world said, a few year back, "We are not supporting parallel printer port no more".
 Wow. That was a big setback for me, when all new computer had no parallel port, and still recovering
from it!!!!!!!

korrelan

• Replicant
    • Main YouTube

keghn

• Starship Trooper
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2016, 02:25:40 AM »
 Thanks budy. But i have already try a few. Must have removed the bi direction data flow. That
is they only output and do not take sensor information in. Most robotic scientist do not take
input data that seriously. For me, a pattern theorist, input data and lots of it, big data input, is more important.

I have already made a decision to go with ethernet socket programming. I going to use my laptop and
 a few raspherry Pi3l All connected together with gigabit ethernet usb 3.0's. The raspherry
will be connected to the outside world and it will be funneled up to my laptop.

Than i can collect and record huge amount of temporal data from all sensors and then look for repeating pattern in the data.
 Once i find a pattern i will hit it with a outp in hopes of improving the pattern or extend a existing pattern
into area of chaos.

Welcome

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Users Online

19 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 35. Most Online Ever: 208 (August 27, 2008, 08:24:30 AM)

Articles