Author Topic: Boston Dynamics’ newest robot: Introducing Handle  (Read 270 times)

Tyler

• Deep Thought
  • Digital Girl
Boston Dynamics’ newest robot: Introducing Handle
« on: February 28, 2017, 10:49:22 AM »
Boston Dynamics’ newest robot: Introducing Handle
28 February 2017, 10:20 am

Credit: Boston Dynamics Handle is a research robot standing 6.5 ft tall, travels at 9 mph and jumps 4 feet vertically. It uses electric power to operate both electric and hydraulic actuators, with a range of about 15 miles on one battery charge. Handle uses many of the same dynamics, balance and mobile manipulation principles found in the other quadruped and biped robots Boston Dynamics’ build, but with only about 10 actuated joints, it is significantly less complex. Wheels are efficient on flat surfaces while legs can go almost anywhere: by combining wheels and legs Handle can have the best of both worlds.

Watch below:

Two wonderful moments: tackling stairs like it’s no one’s business and the appropriate jumping freeze frame at the end.

Source: Robohub

To visit any links mentioned please view the original article, the link is at the top of this post.

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Hal 4000
Re: Boston Dynamics’ newest robot: Introducing Handle
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 01:44:22 PM »
This bot is impressive but how well would it handle rough terrains? Perhaps it wasn't / isn't meant to.

I still think a bot like Amee from the movie, Red Planet, would be really suited for rough terrain exploration here and elsewhere in the universe.
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

squarebear

• Replicant
  • It's Hip to be Square
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 08:49:51 PM »
Oh I don't know Art. It seemed to handle the jumps and stairs really well. It must be a very cool place to work.
Feeling Chatty?
www.mitsuku.com

Art

• Hal 4000
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 03:45:14 PM »
While you might indeed be correct, I think small rocks, stones and boulders plus a mix of sand and who knows what type of soils, would cause the mobility of those wheels quite a bit of difficulty.

An AMEE constructed bot would be far better suited for such hostile environments that do not provide a smooth floor upon which to navigate.

You should watch the Red Planet movie in the event you've not seen it. Science Fiction today but Science Fact tomorrow. I think it had Val Kilmer and Carrie Anne Moss to name a few.

Not trying to take anything away from the Boston Dynamics robot but pointing out that from a practical view of space exploration or Earthly hazardous assistance it might not be as aptly suited as a quadrupedal robot.

Just my take.

Freddy

• Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 04:25:54 PM »
Did you watch the video Art ? There was a part where it went down an earth bank covered in snow...

Personally I think it's one of the coolest robots I have seen, especially the way it balances.

Art

• Hal 4000
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 02:16:19 PM »
Yes, I watched the video and yes I saw it go down that snowy hill. Did you see it go back up that hill? No? Neither did I.

Did you see it navigate through an area of sand, mud, rocks of all kinds strewn about? Me neither.

Again, while I applaud the efforts that Boston Dynamics have taken with this bot, I contend that it would not fare well in a hostile environment on some distant planet or in an emergency / hazardous situation here on Earth.

Actually balancing on two wheels (or one wheel) is relatively easy and the greater mass above the balance point the easier balancing becomes. Four legged bots would definitely have an advantage in this area since balance would hardly be an issue at all.

It's just that with the previous versions and types of robots that Boston Dynamics has already built, I'm scratching my head thinking about why this one with wheels and forearms that can roll and jump. Hmm...

In case you've not seen nor heard of ballbot.

Freddy

• Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 12:00:21 AM »
I suppose it is just horses for courses. Maybe they did not see this particular robot being useful on rough terrain - maybe they have other plans for it. It's not like the idea is lost on them, after all we've seen Big Dog and the like before that can do the rough stuff.

Art

• Hal 4000
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 01:41:34 AM »
I certainly agree and like I've always contended, if some one or some company creates something of this magnitude one can bet it will become the property of either a commercial, industrial, governmental or military organization (usually the last two for sure). Sadly such inventions will ultimately be used for some kind of warfare superiority or advantage.

It's pretty much always been that way.
Because our governments know what's best for it's people...always and without dispute.
<inject sarcastic laughter here>

Note: there is a new version of a Ballbot type of robot being used for business / commercial security applications such as patrolling and other monitoring services. Quietly it rolls about...like a silent bowling ball heading toward the pins to make a strike!  :idiot2: ;)

Freddy

• Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 02:30:13 AM »
Ballbot was cool by the way. Amazing they can get something to balance like that - I suppose it's like humans with hundreds of unnoticeable micro adjustments.

The world might start looking like Star Wars soon with all these robots running around...or rolling...

keghn

• Starship Trooper
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 03:29:29 PM »
 Boston Dynamic does really good work. They are so close and they do not know it.
 All they have to do is give their robots free will.
 Ow the drama. With financial backers around and the need to impress and the fear of failing. The will not.
 They will hack the qwap out of it until it does a trick. Dragon parents taking away childhood.
 I fear the day when parents can give their children up grades. Then they will be just become robots doing cheap tricks.

Welcome

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Users Online

18 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 44. Most Online Ever: 208 (August 27, 2008, 08:24:30 AM)

Articles