Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 31   Go Down

This is a spam from Second Life  (Read 33618 times)

GT40

• Trusty Member
    • My Bots

Re: This is a spam from Second Life
« Reply #225 on: April 30, 2012, 04:30:48 PM »

I've been "busy" in SL during last week. I guess I will be VERY busy in RL in the next days. I finally found "my" netbook on eBay. I was looking for a very cheap machine with a broken screen or/and a dead battery. The one I bought is recent and supposed to be totally operational (and very good). A Samsung NC210. The girl who sold me made a little improvement:

The original Windows 7 Starter has been downgraded to an "optimized" XP (yes, for netbooks, it's a real improvement, lol).

Other good things:

The RAM has 2 GB ("normal" netbooks have only one).

The Atom N550 is a dual-core CPU (no great difference but why not).

Matt screen, 6 cell battery.

The graphics chipset is the current GMA 3150, successor or the GMA 950. All this is very basic but I'm quite sure SL will run. Very very slowly, but it MUST works (many netbooks, laptops, desktops are unable to go in SL). Netbooks containing the Nvidia Ion (9400M) are the best for SL, but I never found one on eBay.

The price: 139 + 9 euros, good one IMHO.

I also bought 2 additional small fans for laptops. I don't want to burn the motherboard in the 1st week.

I think I will receive the thing next Wednesday. I hope I will not be too disappointed. That's eBay, but I've never been disappointed by eBay, at least, for now... Then lots of things to do. First, "learn" netbooks, then...  SL... (?).

Almost nobody here is interested by SL, netbooks, SL and netbooks but if I write a test for a SL forum, I promise you will have the first copy. ;)

"There is no RL. Only AFK." (Jamie Jervil, resident of Second Life)

Data

• Global Moderator
  • Overclocked/Undervolted
    • Datahopa - Fast loading search engine interface.

« Reply #226 on: April 30, 2012, 04:44:34 PM »
I hope it does everything you need it to GT.

I can’t help but think you would have been better off looking for a half decent second hand PC with a gaming graphics card. As you are going to plug the laptop into a monitor anyway.

But I wish you luck  :)

GT40

• Trusty Member
    • My Bots

« Reply #227 on: May 01, 2012, 12:47:53 PM »

Thank you Data. Of course (as I wrote on the previous page) I will continue to use my 10 years old desktop for SL (I'm very happy with it), until it has an "accident". At least I will be sure to have an emergency computer to manage my SL (lands and places, traffic and visitors), a task not requiring a good frame rate. Then I will see. Tomorrow is another day...

Also, I like experiments, i.e. I launch a character on a computer and another one (an alt) on the other PC. Both on poseballs of the same room. The result must be perfect on the screen of the old desktop.

Ah also, I still have two computers (+ 2 keyboards, mouses, monitors + 4 loudspeakers) on my physical desktop, and I'm afraid it can host just a netbook but nothing more.

But I think the true reason is I fell in love for netbooks the first time I saw one (now most people prefer tablets). :)

GT40

• Trusty Member
    • My Bots

« Reply #228 on: May 02, 2012, 10:24:22 AM »

Today another thought of the day, from a good RL friend of my main SL character on Facebook. I know, a little complicated, but my RL and SL are not very simple. No worries, I just wanted to share that. :)

GT40

• Trusty Member
    • My Bots

« Reply #229 on: May 04, 2012, 10:35:22 AM »

Yesterday morning I received my new toy. Fantastic jewel, more than I could imagine!!

It took me some time to learn the touchpad (a "supposed to be usb" mouse didn't want to work, finally a good thing, it's not very instructive to begin with a mouse on a laptop, lol, and this touchpad is so handy). Then I couldn't resist to test SL.

No surprise, as expected SL runs fine on this netbook, not fast but fine. Around 12/18 fps with my special settings, when walking in quiet places (please don't smile, that's just perfect for an emergency machine).

I used the Rainbow Viewer but I must test the basic official 1.23 soon. That one gives me much better results (double frame rate) when I compare both on my old desktop. Hunting the fps in SL is my favorite sport. :)

Since I know SL works, now lots of other cool things to learn. First, how to use laptops and wifi in RL...

BTW I made the experiment above: one character on each computer, both in the same room. Of course perfect.

To be continued... ;)

Update: Just arriving from the supermarket where I found a cute mouse for small laptops. Working like a charm... ;D

« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 02:08:37 PM by GT40 »

GT40

• Trusty Member
    • My Bots

« Reply #230 on: May 04, 2012, 04:28:00 PM »

Sorry I was wrong, the 1.23.5 viewer gives the same results when played on a netbook, no real difference. At least the Boy Lane Viewer contains the classic additional features (radar, history) + now the display names for those who need to use them.

I forgot to say that the SL resolution is important: of course the lower it is, the better is the frame rate. I think it's not a drama to temporarily run SL in a 640 x 480 window. ;)

GT40

• Trusty Member
    • My Bots

« Reply #231 on: May 05, 2012, 10:23:59 AM »

Ok, my experiments with SL and netbooks are over. Since I know my machine can do that, no need to continue and burn the motherboard (I have several friends with net/notebooks who had that bad story with SL).

Now I'm googling about SL and tablets...  ;)

GT40

• Trusty Member
    • My Bots

« Reply #232 on: May 07, 2012, 09:25:28 AM »

I guess nobody here is interested, but I'm a polite guy, I promised. In the bottom of the page:

http://www.sluniverse.com/php/vb/technical-help/70361-netbooks.html#post1551717

Of course I posted as the "neutral" Maverick Kaul to avoid some problems in RL (I'm quite sure Ai Dreams belongs to RL)... ::)

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Mostly Harmless

« Reply #233 on: May 07, 2012, 11:51:06 AM »
It's interesting to read about your adventures.  I'm glad you got the computer you need - you are very dedicated to SL  :)

GT40

• Trusty Member
    • My Bots

« Reply #234 on: May 07, 2012, 03:29:20 PM »

Thank you so much Freddy, and thanks for reading. Do you know you're a little responsible for my "addiction"?

In 2007, I was reading your own adventures in the posts from aladyblond (maybe on Zabaware?). At that time I was stuck in Windows 98, with a computer from the previous century, playing with Haptek, Pandorabots, HTML, JavaScript, VB6... but unable to go in SL. Some months later, I finally got an used  XP Pentium IV. And the dream became reality...

Now, four years later, same computer, same viewer. As I still said, I couldn't have more fun with the last bomb and its graphics card, running the version 3 (or a TPV clone) with Ultra settings. Until LL decides all the old viewers are totally forbidden (maybe soon?)...

By the way I don't need any computer anymore, except for mails and googling. And SL. :)

GT40

• Trusty Member
    • My Bots

« Reply #235 on: May 14, 2012, 03:37:14 PM »

Hi everyone! I don't know if sometimes someone read this thread by accident or not, not important at all. Everybody knows that people don't post on forums "for others", but to see their own posts displayed (except if they really need a very serious reply to solve a specific problem, just my opinion).

Now some thoughts about SL and netbooks...

I must say I have the same fun with mine than with my old desktop, except a lower framerate, but close to the one we have when watching movies in RL. I know you can't believe me, lol. Ok ok, maybe maybe maybe a smaller screen. ;D

About movies playing in SL, since I installed Quicktime on the netbook, they work perfectly, like on the desktop. Of course they eat a few bandwith (not a problem if the internet connexion is good).

Now running SL in a window or fullscreen? That is the question. Nobody has the same opinion. Better framerate in a window, I can notice a difference. And of course, it's more comfortable (we can stay on the web if needed, while being in SL). Just about me, I'm connected to an online dictionary during the whole SL session...

BTW in full screen, the resolution is 1024 x 600 (the native screen). In a (maximized) window, 1024 x 577. No visible distorsion in both images, ratio very similar to 16 x 9 (1.777).

One more thing about framerates. I get more fps in my skyboxes (containing lots of scripted objects, sorry LL, I'm a big provider of lag for the region, lol). The fact is well-known by residents but I have never read a really good explanation. I think I must launch a totally empty skybox, and test. I'm quite sure I can get 30 fps and more in the sky, when walking inside the box! :)

A last word about the RAM. Like with my old desktop (same RAM, 2 Go) I got rid of the virtual memory. Despite the graphics GMA 3150 takes its memory in the RAM (max 384 MB), I never use 2 GO in my SL.

That's all for now. I know, ridiculous post for true gamers, but I affirm we (at least me) can have fun when running SL on a netbook, in case of necessity. If you choose the right computer and the right viewer (the Rainbow Viewer) with the right settings. Again, as always just my opinion. ;)

« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 04:42:57 PM by GT40 »

GT40

• Trusty Member
    • My Bots

« Reply #236 on: May 15, 2012, 04:16:55 PM »

In hurry to try a walk in an empty skybox, with a netbook.

So I rezzed my favorite (because home-made, lol) skybox (as you can see... a box, 22 prims) on my land. And then I sent it 4000 meters above. (1)

A little disappointed (18/20 fps). I have better results in my "normal" places. I don't understand why (2). But figures aren't important. Only the visual impression counts, and my SL runs smoothly.

With my old desktop, I obtain 50/60 fps. A good reason to keep it to go in SL. And its screen seems a little larger. ;)

(1) sorry, the landmark is hidden...

(2) maybe because my internet connexion to San Francisco isn't perfect in the afternoon, max after midnight.

Data

• Global Moderator
  • Overclocked/Undervolted
    • Datahopa - Fast loading search engine interface.

« Reply #237 on: May 15, 2012, 04:38:14 PM »
18 to 20fps sounds ok to me GT, even on a gaming PC I have seen lower FPS than that in SL.

Like you have said it’s a good back up system for you  O0

Now it must be time to start saving some cash for a new PC  8)

Oh and sorry if it sounds like I am complaining, I’m not really.
Could you please not up-load large .bmp images to the site, wherever possible try to use JPG.

Thank you my friend  :)

GT40

• Trusty Member
    • My Bots

« Reply #238 on: May 15, 2012, 09:01:03 PM »

Thank you Data and sorry about the heavy bmp. I feared the text inside the image could become unreadable because of the compression. But I must admit I was wrong and didn't compare before, my fault...

Buying a new desktop, you're right, it's a wise idea... I must prepare the big crash of my 10 y.o. PC. And I'm always dreaming to see if SL, viewed in the terrible official viewer 3, is really better. ;)

GT40

• Trusty Member
    • My Bots

« Reply #239 on: May 21, 2012, 10:11:30 AM »

THOUGHT OF THE DAY

(virtual girls aren't concerned)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 10:19:31 AM by GT40 »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 31   Go Up

Welcome

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Users Online

20 Guests, 2 Users
Users active in past 15 minutes:
Claude, Freddy
[Administrator]
[Trusty Member]

Most Online Today: 47. Most Online Ever: 208 (August 27, 2008, 08:36:30 AM)

Articles

Latest in Media

Unity
Bought a terrain generator and editor plugin for Unity. Looking forward to getting my AI character to explore this world :)
 Views: 2243
Posted by Freddy
Oct 02, 2014
in Artwork

Friends

Chatterbot Collection
Chatterbot Collection
CallMom
Chatbots.org AI Zone
Datahopa
free counters