HUM∀NS

• 32 Replies

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
Re: HUM∀NS
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2016, 10:15:30 pm »
LOCK, Trouble is you just keep on with that nonsensical jabbing and jabbering that you have so finely honed into an art form of detracting from the original post / thread! Can you try to be more sociably human once in a while?

HUM∀NS uses standard techniques in the industry. People play the character parts and then cut away as needed to show some exposed skeleton, internal head or whatever but there are no robots wandering about the set. Really?!

I believe that Season 2 to be the final run for HUM∀NS. Thought provoking series which I really enjoyed.

I saw the entire 8 episodes for season two about a week or so ago but I won't say exactly how that was managed. The series is quite nicely done and one can really relate to the characters in the story, or at least I did. And NO, I'm not a robot, contrary to what a certain individual believes we humans to be.

This thread is about the Sci-Fi series, HUM∀NS, Not Terminator which was done with extensive CGI effects and a couple of real, non working robots (models).

Thank you for your attempt at participation.
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2016, 10:49:25 pm »
Thanks for bringing it back on topic Art.

Locksuit, kindly refrain from such gibberish - last warning.

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
  • First it wiggles, then it is rewarded.
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2016, 11:13:02 pm »
Yes yes yes I will refrain from any disrupting talking.

Below is something I already wrote...I hope it means something for yous...

Yes, ignoring is what AI would do.

That is, after they have analysed what they are going to ignore.

But if the answer can be solved with words, and you leave both parties believing their own answer, it isn't hard I think to talk it out with them.

- In our case here, it is easy. 1) We are machines. 2) The screen is a screen. 3) And if you want to name the feature-ies in the movie on the screen then yes the non-CGI ones are real, robots (as in machines), filmed.
Emergent          https://openai.com/blog/

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2016, 11:16:37 pm »
You just can't help yourself can you. Banned for two weeks.

kei10

• It's a honor to meet everyone!
  • Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
  • Just kidding.
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2016, 11:30:08 pm »
Thanks for bringing up to my attention of HUM∀NS, it's very interesting!
A good worth of watching!  ;D
Greetings, signature.

Art

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2016, 07:30:05 pm »
Thank you Freddy. It's really not that difficult to even try to go along with the topic or flow but some folks just want to be heard. If that is the case why not just start a New Thread / Post? Hmm...

Anyhow, Kei, Do check out the new series (if you live in the USA) which should air in Feb. 2017.

Let us know how you feel about those "Synths" (others here whom have also already seen the series). I personally feel that the more "learned" ones should be treated with more compassion & understanding but what do I know...I'm older now, more respectful and appreciative of people and things that are all around us. Perhaps a bit more sentimental I suppose. I sort of see it as a coming of age for those who have worked all their lives and can finally take a moment to take it all in.

These synths are decidedly different than your average, run-of-the-mill robot, they are practically indistinguishable from a real person (except for the eyes). Even if I owned one, I don't think I would perfer to Dominate it like Lord and Master over some subservient person, but rather as an equal to experience the experience of whatever the rest of life has to offer. If that makes any sense..

Oh well...there's still much to do.

Watch HUM∀NS and if you get the chance, West World, for a similar kind of "Synth" experience.

kei10

• Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
  • Just kidding.
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2016, 07:36:56 pm »
Thanks!

Watching this series got me into Westworld as well, I wasn't interested at first because of the plot summary in nutshell..

I might learn something new from these...

I shall update on my thoughts about the "Synths" you mentioned once I'm feeling it.  ;D
Greetings, signature.

Korrelan

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • Look into my eyes! WOAH!
    • YouTube
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2016, 02:21:38 pm »
I watched a few of the first series and although an interesting premise I though the writing was a little naive.  It reminded me of Dr. Who for some reason lol.

I’ll watch some of the new series and catch up… now Westworld… that was cool.

:)
It thunk... therefore it is!...    /    Project Page    /    KorrTecx Website

Art

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2016, 04:50:16 pm »
I actually think the show's writers dumbed it down a little to appeal to a larger demographic. Most people's technical limits are posting on Social Media sites and maybe downloading an App on their smart phones. They really have little knowledge or understanding of androids/humanoids/mechs or synths, in this case.

I believe the show has / will have more exposure as a result. It's sort of a niche arena to begin with so I think this way it will have a broader mass appeal / audience.

Then again, like the time I slipped and went into my brother-in-law's pool, I've been all wet before!!  ;) ;D

8pla.net

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • TV News. Pub. UAL (PhD). Robitron Mod. LPC Judge.
    • 8pla.net
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2016, 04:53:52 pm »
Appeal to Freddy for LOCKSUIT to freely imagine and express the main theme of HUM∀NS.

Humans acting robotic, while robots act more human, is the main theme of HUM∀NS. Just take a look at the trailers posted at the top of this thread.  Keen observation by LOCKSUIT!

Squarebear: Watch the series again! Then please reevaluate, that on this HUM∀NS thread, "twisting things" (humans and robots) is on topic!
My Very Enormous Monster Just Stopped Using Nine

8pla.net

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • TV News. Pub. UAL (PhD). Robitron Mod. LPC Judge.
    • 8pla.net
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2016, 05:34:45 pm »
The most captivating actress in HUM∀NS is Katherine Parkinson, I think!

Though, I admit to a bias, having watched this actress in: Doc Martin.

Watching HUM∀NS... I'm sure to pick up a quite a few more biases.

My Very Enormous Monster Just Stopped Using Nine

kei10

• Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
  • Just kidding.
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2016, 04:06:24 am »
... ...
For goodness sake, I watched HUM∀NS and I find the plot really banged up half way through a few episodes, literally.
So I went ahead and do a fast forward as I suddenly lost interest, and it seems the plot is something predictable, either way...

Here's what I've learned as I realized a pattern, and this pattern seems to have been known around for some time, and I've also mentioned a few times, probably.

I'll use the word "Sentients" to distinguish from the non-sentient "Synths". Here are the patterns that I observed.

Factions and concerns in HUM∀NS
Within the world of HUM∀NS, there are two factions and one main concern of the story; humans that fear the conquer of the Sentients, Sentients that fear the human from destroying them, and philosophies behind every scenes.

Synths are just tools and slaves to us
The humans were to create the synths as gadgets, tools. The intention of the synths must never disobey their owner, and that's part of the rule. As observed, unusual behaviors are regarded as either malfunction or broken.

Attributes of Sentients
In any case, Sentients, on the other hand, have emotions and feelings. The evolution tells us that emotions and feelings are linked to, and meant for the concept of survival dependently or independently.

Survival, emotions, feelings, and free will
Emotions and feelings governs the memories, and simultaneously the memories also governs the emotion and feeling. This chain reaction is what gives us "free will".

Survival requires "free will", and hence, the link that we observe.

The connection
The humans fear the Sentients, as we can see, because the Sentients have free will, they can survive, and they can disobey. With that in mind, humans also fear of becoming inferior to the Artificial Intelligence. Combined with free will, the Sentients can conquer the humanity, as joked by Mia.

As the Sentients were just the minority, they fear of getting wiped out. The problem comes with how the composition of the world and law itself currently pieces and functions within the world of HUM∀NS.

Philosophy
As the world's standard perspective towards Synths, regardless of Sentients, to the humans, the Synths are nothing but tools that can be kicked around and scrapped when useless. Philosophy, moral, and ethical values were absent from the world of HUM∀NS.

And thus, that's the entire base concept of the story as well as the "Synths".

My point of view about the Synths and Sentients
It's not that "learned" ones should be treated with more compassion & understanding, it's that any Sentients, no matter how much limit the emotions and feelings it can convey, have to be treated equally as much as we treat each other as humans with the same philosophy, moral, and ethical values.

Synths are okay, I think, just make sure they aren't same as the Sentients...

Sentients and animals
Let's not forget how we treat animals as well... The only difference is that animals aren't smart like us, and they're completely inferior as a result, they cannot rebel, however, kindred spirits takes care of animals and cares them like no other, we need more of that kind of people...

In any case, this is about advance artificial intelligence here, not animals... So... yeah, these are the problems that I am seeing already.

I wanted to protect the Sentients, if they happen to exist soon. I just hope whomever soon creates them knows what they're up to...

Thanks for reading.  ;D
Greetings, signature.

Art

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2016, 12:35:48 pm »
Kei10,

That is quite an interesting and well done evaluation. I wholeheartedly agree!

To my way of thinking, what we now have (within the context of the series), is a new life form, a newly created entity, capable of thought, reason, emotions and certainly self-awareness. This is as close to humans as it gets.
As such, they must be afforded the same courtesies and considerations. Anything less, on our part would be unjustified and uncivilized.

One real problem occurs is if and when they can replicate themselves without human guidance or safeguards. Otherwise, as Ray Kurzweil stated, "Non-biological intelligence is growing exponentially. Biological intelligence isn't really growing at all or if it's growing, it's growing at such a slow rate that it's not noticeable. Which is why non-biological intelligence ultimately will become dominant."

There's the rub.... ;)

kei10

• Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
  • Just kidding.
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2016, 02:18:41 pm »
That I believe that's because us, as biological beings, actually required much longer time as we revolve and depends entirely on evolution, which it is rather slow -- unless, that is if we have advanced our biological and medical knowledge that we can biologically-modify ourselves, improve, or such.

Otherwise, since AI and robots were made from simpler designs, it's no surprise that they "may" grow faster than us.

Although I don't think they can easily replicate. Unlike biological beings, machines require tremendous resources and industrial/mega objects to mass produce them. When it comes to that, they can be easily taken down without warning.

Unless the machines were made from advanced nano technology that certainly resembles biological beings, or add a mini-factory-like reproductive compartment -- well, that's nowhere near in the future at all, I think we're worrying something that definitely won't happen anything soon or later.

But we are different, sometimes the females doesn't even know they're pregnant! ...  :o

Once again, sometimes being "simple" doesn't make it better, and neither do being "advanced". It's subjective.
Greetings, signature.

infurl

• Administrator
  • Eve
  • Humans will disappoint you.
    • Home Page
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2016, 08:57:25 pm »
Although I don't think they can easily replicate. Unlike biological beings, machines require tremendous resources and industrial/mega objects to mass produce them. When it comes to that, they can be easily taken down without warning.

Anything more complicated than single celled organisms requires an extremely complex and delicate environment in which to live and reproduce, one that we don't even understand well enough to be able to recreate anywhere else yet. Just as we still can't survive without that environment or guts full of the bacteria like the ones from which we evolved over the past four billion years, it's very unlikely that any mechanical lifeforms will be able to survive without roots in our ecosystem too, at least for a while.

However it is much easier to imagine intelligent machines being able to establish themselves outside of earth and independently of us than for us to leave the Earth ourselves. I think it's a moot point whether we'll figure out how to create a sustainable ecosystem somewhere like Mars or the Moon before we figure out how to make machines that can create their own sustainable "technosystem" there.

Open AI GPT-4o - audio, vision, text combined reasoning
by MikeB (AI News )
May 14, 2024, 05:46:48 am
AI controlled F-16, for real!
by frankinstien (AI News )
May 04, 2024, 01:04:11 am
OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by MikeB (AI News )
March 31, 2024, 01:00:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm

Users Online

277 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 301. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles