• 4 Replies

infurl

• Administrator
  • Eve
  • Humans will disappoint you.
    • Home Page
A.I. Robot Cast in Lead Role of $70M Sci-Fi Film
« on: June 25, 2020, 05:42:07 am »
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ai-robot-cast-lead-role-70m-sci-fi-film-1300068

As the industry grapples with how to reopen for production safely, one movie is proceeding with a lead actress who is immune to COVID-19 — because she’s a robot named Erica.

Based on a story by visual effects supervisor Eric Pham, Tarek Zohdy, and Sam Khoze, who also produces through Life Entertainment, b follows a scientist who discovers dangers associated with a program he created to perfect human DNA and helps the artificially intelligent woman he designed (Erica) escape.

You can find an in-depth interview with Erica's designers here:
https://www.yoichimatsuyama.com/conversation-with-evolving-robotic-species-interview-with-hiroshi-ishiguro/

Video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyJ-xLj9SEE

WriterOfMinds

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • WriterOfMinds Blog
Re: A.I. Robot Cast in Lead Role of $70M Sci-Fi Film
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 06:05:46 am »
I don't know if I've seen any better-looking humanoid robots than the ones that come out of Japan.

I wish there were more details about the AI part, though.  "...talking through her feelings and coaching character development and body language" sounds either figurative or hype-y.

infurl

• Administrator
  • Eve
  • Humans will disappoint you.
    • Home Page
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 06:25:00 am »
I wish there were more details about the AI part, though.  "...talking through her feelings and coaching character development and body language" sounds either figurative or hype-y.

It's little wonder the field of artificial intelligence goes through periodic AI winters. There's so much hype and wishful thinking, exaggeration, lies and craziness. We've seen something like this before though. Centuries ago, there were medieval geeks toiling in their laboratories, trying to turn lead into gold, or brew the elixir of life so they could live forever. Nothing has changed and fools are still fools. We should start calling it AIchemy.

Nevertheless, we owe modern medicine to alchemy; it was alchemists who discovered that animate and inanimate things are made of the same stuff. Let's keep trying and see what we can find that will change the world for the better, even just a little bit.

Don Patrick

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • AI / robot merchandise
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 07:42:37 am »
I came to realize that conversations between people themselves are killer contents and I stopped making conversational models between a robot and a human since I thought it’s nonsense to replace a human with a robot that cannot live up to the level of the expectation with the current technology.
Expect there to be no AI at all. Ishiguro is a roboticist, his previous androids were manually controlled by humans, and spoke by virtue of somebody in the other room talking through a microphone. He hasn't obscured that fact himself. The preparation process they describe is identical to how one could talk about animating a 3D computer model, coaching the animator rather than the robot. My guess is the journalist doesn't know much about the subject matter and just slapped on the word "AI".
CO2 retains heat. More CO2 in the air = hotter climate.

frankinstien

• Replicant
    • Knowledgeable Machines
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2020, 09:29:32 pm »
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ai-robot-cast-lead-role-70m-sci-fi-film-1300068

It's just an animatronic figure no different than what's been done in Hollywood for years. It's not that good and special effects engineers have been doing better for decades! The video below shows what special effects people can do and compare that to what we see in the animatronic world of sex robots and the robot described in the article. Note how the mouth of the robot forms words and how it can move its body, it's pretty good. While the robot could be much better looking it sill is a great piece of work:

Witchy Robot

and

Witch Robot

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
Today at 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

261 Guests, 1 User
Users active in past 15 minutes:
ivan.moony
[Trusty Member]

Most Online Today: 346. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles