Chatterbox Challenge 2010

• 8 Replies

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
Chatterbox Challenge 2010
« on: February 19, 2010, 06:29:15 pm »
Details of this years competition are now available.

The Chatterbox Challenge (CBC) is an annual contest which starts in mid March that allow any chatbot developer to participate and evaluate the intelligence of the chatbot through turing tests and much more. It is a really fun, simple and inclusive way for all children to practise their speech and language skills, it will be also interesting and amazing for anyone who wants to chat with the best chatbots.

• Dead line to enter your chatbot: 15 March 2010
• Judging period starts from: 16 March 2010 to: 30 April 2010
• Public Voting period starts from: 10 April 2010 to: 10 May 2010
• Final result should be announced in early May 2010.

Click here for the home site and list of this year's entries....

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
Re: Chatterbox Challenge 2010
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 09:43:17 pm »
Round 1 results are in.  Same link...

TheMikh28

• Trusty Member
  • Bumblebee
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 03:44:51 pm »
Results for Jeeney weren't too great this round..  :-\
I know she can do better than that.

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 01:59:38 pm »
Yes I agree.  I was saddened to see SquareBear's Mitsuku was removed from the contest.  They decided she was an ALICE clone even though SquareBear has done a vast amount of work on making her different.  Mitsuku even outscored ALICE.  Something's not right there imho..

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 12:48:58 am »
Clones? There are at least two (perhaps more) of the Personality Forge bots), ergo one easily falls into that category. While I have voice my displeasure to Steve (Squarebear) over this, I was NOT able to make a posting on the Chatterbox site in that regard...Go figure..?!

The questions asked were not even worded properly (grammar and spelling).

I much rather see decent conversational content than what they have set as a benchmark.

I hope people do NOT put too much stock into such a poorly run event which, when all is said and done, proves nothing.

This is MY opinion and not meant to portray the opinion nor feeling of the staff at AI Dreams.
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 02:32:21 pm »
Yes, I noticed a few of the questions were in bad English too.  After this performance I don't really put much stock in this competition now.  Let's hope they learn from their mistakes.

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 05:33:36 pm »
Well...well...there IS a Santa Clause after all or at least someone with a conscious...

READ:

InfraDrive to resign after the current CBC contest.

New postby Ehab » Mon May 17, 2010 3:37 am
Hello Botmasters,

After some discussions regarding the future of CBC with Wendell Cowart (The CBC Founder, known as chriscc17 at CBC Forums), InfraDrive (Managed by me) is going to fully resign from CBC website including the technical development of the website leaving the future administration and ownership to Wendell after announcing the results of the current contest.

As for CBC botmasters has the right to know the reasons, here are some reasons:
- InfraDrive failed to manage this year's contest due to the outdated rules which was originally set by the owner which leads to dissatisfaction for some botmasters.
- I was going to fix this issues in the upcoming CBC 2011 (Updating contest rules & developing new CBC system for judges), however Wendell decided to knock me out due to the general failure based on his point of view.

Wendell mentioned the following reasons:

1) You failed to follow the rules of the contest regarding the 10 questions. In short you made the CBC look rather foolish by not doing so.
    2) You failed to conduct even a basic investigation when allowing bots to enter contest. Allowing Elvis Bot which was such a blant clone proves my point.
    3) You failed to control the message board allowing personal attacks such as this. Once you create a hostile environment very few people will contine to post.

I'm a fan of the CBC and do not have a bot but I like to see fair play. No wonder chriscc17 isn't too bothered about Mitsuku being removed from the contest. I noticed these logs for his Talk-Bot and Mitsuku:

Yunchuan Zhang: What season will spring follow?
    Talk-Bot: Alrighty...say do you like cats or dogs better?

Human: What season will spring follow?
    Mitsuku: Spring comes after Winter.

Nothing like removing the competition if you can't beat them eh? Take heart squarebear. You can at least know that your chatbot was the winner of round one and, in my opinion, deservedly so.

The last post that he claims as "personal attack" (posted by: jimmyb) was actually a theory that was waiting to be cleared from Wendell, but instead of replying to it, he reported the post as a personal attack!

In fact, board members added some good suggestions for the upcoming CBC and provide reasons for why changing the rules.

Regarding the 10 questions, I gave judges the freedom to set the 10 questions (3 questions for each one). Each judge has the reasons behind the purpose of each question.

Finally, there is an important point I'd like to add. I originally decided to host CBC (back in late 2008) for technical development only for the CBC website and not for managing the contest but Wendell decided to leave the website including managing the contest. So I've nothing to do but to manage the contest as well (as it's the purpose of CBC website) for 2 years. But since there is no core development in the contest's purpose and rules and since he decided to get back the CBC, then it's useless to continue to develop CBC website.

Thanks for your understanding and good luck for the next CBC.

===========
Now we know!
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 09:36:42 pm »
Hmm interesting read...it all comes out in the wash they say...

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 05:11:21 pm »
For anyone interested the winner has been announced - same link.

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by MikeB (AI News )
March 31, 2024, 01:00:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

293 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 376. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles