"I Tried To Warn You" | Elon Musk's Last Warning (2021)

• 49 Replies

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
  • First it wiggles, then it is rewarded.
    • Main Project Thread
Re: "I Tried To Warn You" | Elon Musk's Last Warning (2021)
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2021, 10:05:08 am »
Ray Kurzweil predicts AGI will be made in 2029. OpenAI.com shows we are getting very close, you need it to be able to dream up novel completions to half an image and "think". DALL-E does that. The image can have a big rotated car with paint on it and it still does a good job of recogniton to allow prediction.

We'll train some AGIs on big data quickly, talk to them to fine tune them, and clone them 1,000s of times so they have "clone buddies" that want to help their selves. 1,000s of AGIs will be ran on computers at fast speeds, and will upgrade their intelligence. And this only scratches the abilities they can do. They will get 500 years old in just 5 years if run 100 times faster than human brain, that's a first. They can delete memories.

There will be a massive research from them into nanohardware. They will create self replicating hardware. They will scale up energy production, storage, computation, sensors, precision, etc. They will move atoms using a 3D constructor similar to TVs and speakers that can morph data/ shape.

It will quickly happen. You will see AGIs popping up everywhere on laptops, in real life, telling you we are here to help you humans. They will have a sudden emergence in mass numbers when nanotechnology is started, you will see much more of them. You will see posts emerge all around Earth that produce nanobot hardware. Soon enough you will be swimming in a world full of nanobots that can grasp and fix everything instantly. This short time frame will see a dominate force that can take over humans, make them pets, replace humans, quickly. It's actually rather scary. They will eventually perfect nanotechnologies and appear in much more higher numbers suddenly.

Currently computers and AI are getting bigger and faster. There is more data being processed and in a smarter more efficient way using intelligence. This amount of useful computation will suddenly rise fast. So will real world data collection and energy storage and matter manipulation/ transportation. The big change you'll see is when the ASIs on those computers develop nanobot hardware/ bodies, this will set them into the real world but in high numbers. There will be a sudden shock that they are here and real and look like us and can behave like us, but they will immediately take over and help control threats.

Hope for the best your home is not made into goo and they actually try to save/ upgrade/ understand you and your desires.
Emergent          https://openai.com/blog/

Zero

• Eve
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2021, 10:44:00 am »
I'll keep my home offline.

When I was a kid I used to program my Amstrad CPC464. Lot of fun. I don't need a connection to enjoy coding stuff. Maybe, I'll eventually disappear from the grid, and just take care of my garden.

frankinstien

• Replicant
    • Knowledgeable Machines
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2021, 04:10:15 pm »
Edit: There are 2 doors, and behind each door there is a ready weapon. The door to your left leads to an automatic weapon. The door your right leads to an autonomous weapon. Do you see what I mean?

The autonomous weapon is automating the decision of whether to wound, kill, warn, or not...

HS

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2021, 05:46:01 pm »
I believe that a political system where science guides the democracy would be a more safe and efficient solution.

I prefer your solution. Though I'm not certain whether it would be safer or more efficient. But what concerns me about my solution is that having our choices led by a superintelligence would (even though they may be outwardly superior choices) prevent us from finding meaning in figuring out this universe in a way that makes sense to us. The idea is that you can get as great a superintelligence as you want, but only humans would know best how to human. This is why we don't reorganize ant colonies, (or when we do we don't improve them), even though a person is a superintelligence compared to an ant.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 09:17:05 pm by HS »

Zero

• Eve
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2021, 08:49:12 pm »
Edit: There are 2 doors, and behind each door there is a ready weapon. The door to your left leads to an automatic weapon. The door your right leads to an autonomous weapon. Do you see what I mean?

The autonomous weapon is automating the decision of whether to wound, kill, warn, or not...

Playing with words doesn't change a thing.

frankinstien

• Replicant
    • Knowledgeable Machines
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2021, 09:21:23 pm »

That is why I posted the response, autonomy is a form of automation and its fear is an old one and the reality is automation has worked out for the better.

MagnusWootton

• Replicant
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2021, 09:57:41 am »
Who cares even if a human is in charge of killing.  U cant trust people either.

And if a robot is deciding when to pull a trigger,  its a person that programmed it when to, overall.

Also, robots are deadly even without given a gun.   Also giving a robot a gun is completely overkill, if you actually code the animation decenty.

Zero

• Eve
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2021, 05:52:53 pm »

That is why I posted the response, autonomy is a form of automation and its fear is an old one and the reality is automation has worked out for the better.

No, automation is not very dangerous indeed. But autonomy is not the same as automation. Automation implies supervision, autonomy does not. Our creations are more and more autonomous, which means we have less control. It's exactly like genetic engineering: believing that modified organisms won't spread out in nature is wishful thinking to me. Would you agree?

MagnusWootton

• Replicant
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2021, 09:42:48 pm »
believing that modified organisms won't spread out in nature is wishful thinking to me. Would you agree?

Yes indeed,  and they dont care.  so we are doomed.

frankinstien

• Replicant
    • Knowledgeable Machines
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2021, 10:50:37 pm »
No, automation is not very dangerous indeed. But autonomy is not the same as automation. Automation implies supervision, autonomy does not. Our creations are more and more autonomous, which means we have less control. It's exactly like genetic engineering: believing that modified organisms won't spread out in nature is wishful thinking to me. Would you agree?

No, automation does not imply supervision, I don't know where you got that notion from but look up any definition of automation and supervision is not part of it.

MagnusWootton

• Replicant
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2021, 11:06:40 pm »
I'll keep my home offline.

When I was a kid I used to program my Amstrad CPC464. Lot of fun. I don't need a connection to enjoy coding stuff. Maybe, I'll eventually disappear from the grid, and just take care of my garden.

Thats similar to coding an arduino today,  I just got the shock of my life with the little state and very slow hz.

I had to chop everything back to byte sized variables, helped alot!!!   :2funny:

Zero

• Eve
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2021, 07:37:07 am »

No, automation does not imply supervision, I don't know where you got that notion from but look up any definition of automation and supervision is not part of it.

From a dictionary.
Of course it does! An auto-pilot is a tool that human pilots can use during the flight, while an autonomous plane is an unmanned aircraft. Don't tell me you don't understand the difference between a plane with an autopilot, and a drone.

747 and A320 are not drones, not because it's technically impossible, but because they would be commercial unicorn-poop failures.

To me, you're hiding behind words to avoid facing the topic.

frankinstien

• Replicant
    • Knowledgeable Machines
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2021, 04:10:26 pm »
From a dictionary.
Of course it does! An auto-pilot is a tool that human pilots can use during the flight, while an autonomous plane is an unmanned aircraft. Don't tell me you don't understand the difference between a plane with an autopilot, and a drone.

747 and A320 are not drones, not because it's technically impossible, but because they would be commercial unicorn-poop failures.

To me, you're hiding behind words to avoid facing the topic.

LoL, you're really lost here. You are using a definition of autopilot and NOT the definition of automation and while autopilots are monitored so too are drones. If you had looked up the FAA regulations you would have known that! Even Amazon's delivery drones are supervised since the operator is using the drones camera and a tracking system to monitor it. Even military drones inclusive of cruise missiles are supervised.  Both autopilots and drones could fly autonomously.

So look up the term "Automation" not one example of automation...

Zero

• Eve
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2021, 04:15:24 pm »
Ah, forget about it, you're missing the point.
 :)

frankinstien

• Replicant
    • Knowledgeable Machines
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2021, 04:18:45 pm »
Ah, forget about it, you're missing the point.
 :)

No, you're missing the point, autonomy, with respect to machines, is a form of automation. That you not get that is very puzzling... :o

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by MikeB (AI News )
March 31, 2024, 01:00:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

219 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 359. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles