Meet Sophia, World's First AI Humanoid Robot | Tony Robbins

• 33 Replies

8pla.net

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • TV News. Pub. UAL (PhD). Robitron Mod. LPC Judge.
    • 8pla.net
My Very Enormous Monster Just Stopped Using Nine

squarebear

• Trusty Member
  • Terminator
  • It's Hip to be Square
Re: Meet Sophia, World's First AI Humanoid Robot | Tony Robbins
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 12:30:27 pm »
Awesome. Another pre scripted Q&A session with Sophia.  ::)
Notice that when Tony asks one of the prearranged questions, the responses are very suitable, quite long and almost thoughtful but when he asks something that wasn't prearranged, the robot's answers are very short, generic and often don't answer his question.
Did you notice it fail in a couple of times that the robot starts to answer before Tony has finished asking the question. The human operator needs to ease up on the "play" button"  ;D
Feeling Chatty?
www.mitsuku.com

8pla.net

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
    • 8pla.net
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 06:39:36 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cGRPvN5430

Mentioned in the video, Little Sophia, now open source A.I.

Thanks, squarebear! 

Glad to see so many likes on your comments.

https://vimeo.com/314142765

Oh, a YouTube embed and a Vimeo embed, in the same forum post.  Nice job Freddy!

8pla.net

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
    • 8pla.net
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 07:54:23 pm »
It appears Hanson Robotics committed ChatScript by authors Bruce and Sue to its GitHub repository as a natural language tool and dialog manager, 

https://github.com/hansonrobotics

Bruce and Sue, when they were interviewed on the prime time news, shared the spotlight with squarebear's world famous chatbot, on TV.  So, the other day it occurred to me... Does Sue, as one of the authors deserve credit as the first woman to win the Loebner Prize?  It could be important, as a role model, I wonder.

It also includes a text to speech script courtesy of our very own, Don, in Hanson Robotics' GitHub repository.  As a community we have contributed to the ChatScript open source project over the years.  So, is it fair to say, that our A.I. community has contributed to the open source development of Sophia?

Don Patrick

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • AI / robot merchandise
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 08:30:36 pm »
It looks like they removed the AIML directory from the github, probably because they hated that I kept linking people to the default Alice chatbot script in there to show what a charade it really is.
I'm pretty sure they're not using my visual basic script for text-to-speech. If I recall, it says which 3rd party text-to-speech software they're using on Wikipedia.

Bruce and Sue co-created Rose and Suzette if I recall Bruce's articles, so yes, credit to her as well for their Loebner Prize wins.
CO2 retains heat. More CO2 in the air = hotter climate.

frankinstien

• Replicant
    • Knowledgeable Machines
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 02:33:22 am »
When I see demos like Sophia and/or even Harmony(sex robot) I can't help but think about the early Disney animatronic robots, considering the computational horsepower back then it surprises me. Here's a short video on the history of Disney's animatronics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA1P1Q4G-IE

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 03:45:12 am »
When I see demos like Sophia and/or even Harmony(sex robot) I can't help but think about the early Disney animatronic robots, considering the computational horsepower back then it surprises me. Here's a short video on the history of Disney's animatronics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA1P1Q4G-IE

That really comes as no surprise as Hanson worked for Disney as a sculptor and material researcher, after University (B.A. & PhD.). He also discovered the thin, rubbery covering he would later name Frubber, as in Flexible Rubber.

He has come a long way and has had a few misfires as well but his robots lack a real "brain" that can do something more than follow a scripted outline! Sophia has certainly fooled a lot of people!
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

frankinstien

• Replicant
    • Knowledgeable Machines
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2020, 06:30:50 am »
That really comes as no surprise as Hanson worked for Disney as a sculptor and material researcher, after University (B.A. & PhD.). He also discovered the thin, rubbery covering he would later name Frubber, as in Flexible Rubber.

He has come a long way and has had a few misfires as well but his robots lack a real "brain" that can do something more than follow a scripted outline!

Matt McMullen, founder, and CEO of RealDolls and creator of Harmony has done quite a bit of work with silicon as a durable flexible type material.  This is interesting since materials that can withstand the stresses of human physical contact like having sex isn't something that you can just use rubber with. The material has to be soft and supple to mimic the texture and feel of a human body, yet be durable and not suffer from fatigue caused by cyclical loading. Harmony is also sensitive in the genital area of her body and reacts to the degree of rhythm and drive of her partner, where she actually has facial expressions of arousal as she moans and eventually climaxes! While Harmony's A.I. isn't something one could really be emotionally intimate with, but applying a few tweaks and using something like WriterOfMinds' Acuitas, that could change...

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
  • First it wiggles, then it is rewarded.
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2020, 12:28:49 pm »
All you gotta do is give it GPT-2 and start it off with the prompt:

Oh my that feels so good

https://talktotransformer.com/
Emergent          https://openai.com/blog/

8pla.net

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
    • 8pla.net
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2020, 07:04:01 pm »
@squarebear:

I respect and recognize your expert opinion.  As someone who has been in the news for A.I. (like many of us) I appreciate the attention your popularity brings to this topic.

Let's discuss the human simulation aspect of social humanoid robots. Humans use teleprompters to show (pre) scripted panels, hidden from view, all part of a robotic TV camera system.  Think about that for a moment, humans are  (pre) scripted by an articulated, newsroom robot.

For the Science of A.I. why wouldn't social humanoid robots simulate a teleprompter?  Isn't Sophia simply simulating what humans, in the news, do?

Thank you, squarebear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e__9wKSvweQ

Robotic Camera goes crazy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H3QJ7yY8t4

8pla.net

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
    • 8pla.net
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2020, 08:18:56 am »
The human operator is handing out a microphone to the audience, but does not

appear to be remote controling the social humanoid robot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTBJ3tdWwX8

Rings a bell, to those of us acquainted with the craft of our very own Bruce and Sue.

frankinstien

• Replicant
    • Knowledgeable Machines
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2020, 11:22:34 am »
I respect and recognize your expert opinion.  As someone who has been in the news for A.I. (like many of us) I appreciate the attention your popularity brings to this topic.

Let's discuss the human simulation aspect of social humanoid robots. Humans use teleprompters to show (pre) scripted panels, hidden from view, all part of a robotic TV camera system.  Think about that for a moment, humans are  (pre) scripted by an articulated, newsroom robot.

For the Science of A.I. why wouldn't social humanoid robots simulate a teleprompter?  Isn't Sophia simply simulating what humans, in the news, do?

Thank you, squarebear.

That's true, but what I think the argument is about has more to do with how Sophia is being portrayed as autonomous, which it really isn't. The actual engineers of RealBotix's Harmony were Hanson Robotics engineers. But, to the point, Sophia doesn't really have a market to drive its development whereas the sex robots do.  So Sophia doesn't really have a real goal to achieve beyond her puppet performances, whereas the sexbots must meet a consumer demand, and there are some interesting new applications for these bots: Here's a video of a very customize sexbot:

sexbot

RealBoitix has done what Hanson Robotics couldn't do and that is bring the technology of humanoid robotics to serve a real consumer need. There are videos of the sexbots actually having sex but I won't post those links on this forum, they are easy enough to find with a simple online search.

squarebear

• Trusty Member
  • Terminator
  • It's Hip to be Square
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2020, 11:39:35 am »
I agree with what Frankenstien said about Sophia about the misconception that Sophia is autonomous. It's merely a puppet for Hanson Robotics and for them to portray it as autonomous and having opinions of its own is deceptive and misleading to the public who have little idea about the current state of AI.

If we have a conversation with another person, we don't get to see what the other person will ask in advance. We react to each question on the spot, as it's being asked without having chance to prepare. This video appears to me to be a mixture of prearranged questions in which a writer for Sophia had chance to prepare suitable answers and also a few off hand remarks by the interviewer which probably fell back to a Chatscript bot. Load up the prearranged questions and press play as each one is answered.

The responses in the video are not the opinions of the robot, but of a team of human writers at Hanson.
Feeling Chatty?
www.mitsuku.com

8pla.net

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
    • 8pla.net
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2020, 01:06:30 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fnCQC7bLs0

At 3:58/10:27 Dr. Ben Goertzel, of Hanson Robotics says, "From a software point of view you would say Sophia is a platform like a laptop is a platform for something. I mean, you can run a lot of different software programs on the very same robot."

Sophia has 3 control systems:

1. Timeline Editor - runs entirely on prewritten scripts

Ben says, "Like, if I want her to give a speech on stage, I could load her with software that just makes her repeat some lines that I wrote."

2. Sophisticated Chat System

Ben says, "And if I want her to have an amusing conversation to entertain a reporter, I can load this sort of chatbot software on her that makes her identify words and phrases of what was said and tries to respond appropiately with a kind of partial understanding."

3. OpenCog - Answers are grounded in experience and reasoning

So for the sake of discussion, a Sophisticated Chat System loads some sort of chatbot software on her, perhaps an AIML chatbot runs as a different software program on the very same [Sophia] robot.  How would you feel about that, Squarebear, walking around with Mitsuku in public?

squarebear

• Trusty Member
  • Terminator
  • It's Hip to be Square
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2020, 11:12:49 am »
How would you feel about that, Squarebear, walking around with Mitsuku in public?
Yes, that would be pretty cool. I already demonstrate Mitsuku publicly at conferences and exhibitions. Having it in an actual robot would get even more attention just like it did for Sophia.
Feeling Chatty?
www.mitsuku.com

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
Today at 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

288 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 343. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles