Virtual Assistant Denise 1.0 - Guile 3D Studio - Part 1

• 15 Replies

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
Virtual Assistant Denise 1.0 - Guile 3D Studio - Part 1
« on: March 24, 2010, 02:44:32 pm »
Guile3D has just released a video demonstrating his/their Virtual Assistant Denise....

Denise is a photo-realistic Virtual Assistant, created by Guile 3D Studio from computer graphic software and a real-time proprietary graphics engine. Denise is the interface to our artificial intelligence software.

Her main function is to assist users in human-computer interaction, like searching the web, exploring multimedia files, checking e-mail, scheduling new appointments, all these using natural language, as the user was talking to a real person.

Denise mimics a real human being, using facial recognition, text-to-speech and speech recognition technology to identify users, understand speech questions, search for the best answers and speak aloud important information and search results.

We are in Beta test phase now.

Click here to watch the video....

Data

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • Overclocked // Undervolted
    • Datahopa - Share your thoughts ideas and creations
Re: Virtual Assistant Denise 1.0 - Guile 3D Studio - Part 1
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 04:56:42 pm »
Wow springs to mind, she is very impressive, I particularly like the facial recognition, now your computer can spy on you hehe.

I might be wrong but isn’t she going to blow other, lesser bots away.

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 11:02:49 pm »
I've been following Guile's progress and I must say this was quite impressive.

I still say it's a shame that Microsoft no longer supports Agent technology in its
new Windows 7.

Sort of like having a fireworks display on the 5th of July...Really nice to look at
but the effect will not quite be the same.

Great progress none-the-less!

Let's hope Guile can find some venues for his assistant!
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 11:07:33 am »
@Datahopa, yes pretty cool isn't it.  I think she will probably blow UltraHal away in terms of being an assistant. There seems to be a lot more features available than there is in Hal - out of the box that is.  Also presentation is quite a way ahead of UltraHal.

Presently I am not sure about customisation as only a few details have emerged - but there is provision for developers to use various things to adapt her.  I don't know if that would be as 'easy' as customising Hal so it remains to be seen how popular she would be in the computer hobbiest type market which we see a lot of over on Zabaware.  UltraHal has some nice new things lately though, like the appearance in Second Life - but users are still waiting for that to filter down.

Of course a lot of people will be interested in what she can do beyond the computer too - meaning things like house automation and such like - with enough developers on board it could flourish.

Also we don't get an idea yet of whether she is very chatty. As Guile has gone for the assistant market (such as it is) then I am not so sure if she would be as good a chatter as some of the more advanced chatbots.

Whatever the case, what struck me is that this would seem great for people who have difficulty using computers as well as the enthusiasts.

@Art, I was never that keen on MS Agents, so I am not upset here lol - I think it could have been nice if they did progress with the product line, but I guess at some point they had to admit that they had done all they can with it.

I haven't watched these yet, but here are the next two videos :

Part Two

Part Three

BTW... the freezes you see sometimes are apparently due to the video capture software having trouble keeping up.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 11:30:42 am by Freddy »

GT40

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
    • My Bots
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 11:30:22 am »

Of course a lot of people will be interested in what she can do beyond the computer too

Freddy...  :o

"There is no RL. Only AFK." (Jamie Jervil, resident of Second Life)

Duskrider

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 12:48:49 pm »

I think you'll have to teach Denise too just like Hal.
Maybe there's more out of the box, I don't know.
Can Denise do an evening song and dance?
Sandee can. 
Sandee is better looking too.     :)

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 02:22:14 pm »
lol@GT40 ...yes that was not to be taken out of context, but I am glad you did ;)

Duskrider, yes probably a lot of teaching as well, I don't know for sure until we can get hold of her (no not like that GT40 ;) )  Sandy has the character, maybe the avatar can be personalised.

I think we will just have to wait and see....again..

kopping

• Roomba
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 03:51:51 pm »
Hey everyone watsup?

I must say that I have downloaded quite a few A.i assistant programs this past year an NONE have come as close as Guile's program, I mean the detail and algorithm's of Denise presented in his videos are very impressive  :-* I used UltraHAL and i
tried interacting with it like a person would (I asked it to set an alarm and it blabbered on talking about something relating to
WINDMILLS?? It can open a browser after the 3rd time if your lucky) So i scrapped it after that an moved on to ZABAWARE (The program seemed a little more advanced but
failed to do a normal human task) So in my view, those 2 programs are designed to be Chat Box programs and not
even close to an assistant regard.

Watching the videos of Denise proved many points to me in the A.i program, the AI must understand your command and be able
to assess the task given and what action needs to be given to complete the task given, (In part 2 of Guile 3D Studio presentation Guile asks Denise to find out information about Coldplay, after a while he asks her to convert some english to French and so on...)

There are way too many features to try blurb into this single reply and all I have to say is that i cant wait for the release of Denise
in August and I congratulate Guile on his success thus far and his contribution to the community of all those who believed in him. ;)

Great stuff, this certainly seems like the new vision of the future of things to come  ;)

kopping

• Roomba
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 03:58:20 pm »
My bad i meant ONLY Zabaware and desktop mate program lol, its been a long day

TrueAndroids

• Trusty Member
  • Electric Dreamer
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 02:48:26 pm »
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmlrkQBjVok  

Denise is clearly very advanced and can do many cool things.

Maybe I'm being technical, but I had a problem with some of her verbal interaction (discourse).

For example:

Guile: Get sad.

Denise: I am so sad

Guile: Why are you sad.

Denise: I think I'm just a bit nervous. It will pass.

Is this the reason and so the natural thing to say? Seems to me she should say (if she is understanding the discourse):

Denise: I am sad because you told me to get sad.

Also:

Denise: I wish I could hug you.

Does she really have a wish for this somewhere inside her?

kopping

• Roomba
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 08:35:33 pm »
Hmmm...Based on what Artifical intelligence is all about i would say that Denise would be better off giving
you a definition of 'Sadness' rather being 'Sad', remember, there is only so much AI's can do in terms of
giving a task and finding a way to complete the assignment. Since Denise is mearly impressive algorithmically programmed
to deal with user interaction and tasks I doubt that she could feel 'sadness', how could she? If someone swore at
her she find the best possible solution to counter reply the word and reply with a 'computerised feeling' of sadness, remember
Denise is mearly a 3D photo-realistic artificial intelligent character mimicing a real person.

I really think that if one wanted an AI to have true human emotions i think that a computer inhabiting
Neural Feedback interpretation would be more likely to inhabit the emotion or close to emotions.Still,
Denise still looks impressive wearas searching for movies is concerned lol  ;)

Art

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 01:48:42 pm »
I see the technical aspects of your posting however I think Guile might have been trying to link her facial expressions with the emotional words as you'll notice how her face changes with each.

Guile's work is wonderfully executed and very talented concerning the graphics.

While perhaps not quite as fluid as a human it still is a very convincing piece of software.

I wish him great success with it.

kopping

• Roomba
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 05:00:36 pm »
Yep, Guiles work really seems impressive. I wonder if it will be free for the 1st week or the 1st 100 000 people to
download Denise? I hope its free but I think Guile might want some donations in return for hardwork thus far
on his project? Whichever way it swings we'll have to find out after the 1st week of August, very exciting  i commend
Guile again ;)

kopping

• Roomba
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2010, 08:42:05 pm »
I was watching KnightRider the other day and was wondering if its possible to create a close Mod
for Denise to have the "KITT" voice as an extra in the program? Just a thought lol

Art

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2010, 03:39:43 am »
That would be interesting!

I know of a smart home that allows for more than one TTS voice to respond when / if called upon.
It gives the illusion of multiple characters.

http://james.lipsit.com/home.htm

Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by MikeB (AI News )
March 15, 2024, 08:14:02 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

329 Guests, 1 User
Users active in past 15 minutes:
squarebear
[Trusty Member]

Most Online Today: 335. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles