New Article : Virtual sweat for real world money

• 4 Replies

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
New Article : Virtual sweat for real world money
« on: May 23, 2014, 04:22:37 pm »
Here's a new article I commissioned last year but only just got around to publishing it. Comments welcome, I think it's an interesting subject - the artificial goods world.

Virtual goods are probably something you've heard of before as they are becoming quite the lucrative business for computer savvy entrepreneurs. In layman's terms they are non-existent items that some people will hand over (sometimes) large sums of money for. Starting to sound like Jack and the Beanstalks magic beans? Let's take a look at a few of the most noticeable examples to see if money really leads to in game happiness.
Read more...

Data

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • Overclocked // Undervolted
    • Datahopa - Share your thoughts ideas and creations
Re: New Article : Virtual sweat for real world money
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 04:58:07 pm »
Oh I get it, even if you are no good at gaming you can buy cheats, sorry gaming aids.

Bring back the days when skill ruled.

Good article but I'm gutted where it's all going. 

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 05:21:05 pm »
Much like all those Props (items like chairs, cars, lamps, buildings, etc.) from the Poser fans and characters like those at 3D sites where they sell all kinds what's of Virtual clothing, shoes, weapons, armor, etc. some for quite a pretty penny (phrase for quite a sum of money)!

Yes, people buy Digital memberships with digital money and meet and even date in digital chatrooms and virtual worlds. Gosh...it's difficult to tell what's real and what's imagined.

Of course, in a virtual world, the only real anything is how one perceives it.

Your mileage may vary!!
(I've got some virtual swamp for sale...you can build a nice house...I also own a virtual hardware and lumber store!)
 :2funny:
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 11:28:36 pm »
Don't be too gutted Data, people that put skill over wallet size are alive and kicking.

In LOTRO (Lord of the Rings Online) they have micro-payments and it's not really spoiling the game. You can't beat a skilled player no matter what you buy. At LOTRO they seem to have got the balance about right.

Some people still want to speed through the game though, they ask to be power levelled, which is using a high level character to quickly advance a low level character. I never do this and I always tell them to try playing the game. These kind of players are often no good in group play because they did not learn the basics they will have missed due to them rushing through the game just to say they are top level. I can't see the attraction.

But as you know, about the only game I play is LOTRO, so I couldn't say what it's like in others, but I bet it's pretty similar. But now just a few hours away I'll be in some new game...

Watchdogs !

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 11:29:36 pm »
Art, I had not thought of all the 3D art places like Daz3D, but yep it's the same kind of thing. Good point  O0

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
March 28, 2024, 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

319 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 372. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles