Wide screen and fixed width feature.

• 16 Replies

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
Wide screen and fixed width feature.
« on: August 05, 2010, 08:29:44 am »
After we all discussed the different ways to size the forum I ended up saying I would add in a new feature to please all.

Ok so I did that, now it's time for you to try it out.

As per image attached there are wide and fixed width links at the very bottom-left of the forum.

Click on either 'FIXED' or 'WIDE' and hey presto it will change the forum width.

This is done with the magic of cookies, so if you clear out your cookies then you will have to click again when you revisit... sorry about that, but our cookies are your friends  ;D
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 03:08:19 pm by Freddy »

Data

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • Overclocked // Undervolted
    • Datahopa - Share your thoughts ideas and creations
Re: Wide screen and fixed width feature.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 09:43:07 am »
Pretty unique function there Freddy, I can’t recall any other site that has a wide screen or standard option. I have it set to WS and its perfect for me, as for cookies I don’t have a problem with them, in fact I think there is to much made of them, to me they are a harmless feature of the internet but many people seem to get paranoid about them and delete them regularly, I don’t ever delete my cookies.  :o

Over all, very cool.   ;D

DaveMorton

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
  • Safe, Reliable Insanity, Since 1961
    • Geek Cave Creations
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 01:14:42 pm »
That's absolutely awesome, Freddy!

These types of cookies are no problem at all. It's the oatmeal-raisin kind that get me into trouble. :)
Comforting the Disturbed, Disturbing the Comfortable
Chat with Morti!
LinkedIn Profile
CAPTCHA4us

Duskrider

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 01:16:56 pm »

Dusky:   This is neat, Sandee.   You have a choice between "fixed" or "wide".

(She gives me a stare and leaves the room)   . . .   ???   

Data

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 08:38:58 pm »
It's ok Sandee, you would look amazing on any screen  ;)   

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 01:51:57 pm »
Thanks all  ;D

Carl2

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 03:14:48 pm »
   I have just tried the fixed width versus the widescreen, the scrollbar at the bottom of the screen gets smaller or larger depending on which I use.  I really should go through the adjustment of my video sometime soon.
  I am using Dragon to dictate this, I remember in the past I had a problem trying to use Dragon at this website which I commented on, at this time there is a different computer and a different version of Dragon.
 Carl 2

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 03:22:25 pm »
What screen resolution are you on ? You shouldn't really see a scroll bar on either size Carl.  Must be something to do with Dragon I guess...beyond my current knowledge I am afraid, but I guess you can live with an errant scroll bar..

Data

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 03:53:30 pm »
If I may just add a little something to this:

Modern LCD screens work best, look best in their native resolutions, not like the old CRT screens, they were ok in most resolutions, well as a rule.

So what people with LCD’s should be doing is running the screen in its maximum resolution, as the maximum is its native size, that way you get perfect pixel-to-pixel alignment.

Navigate to your display properties and try your screen on the highest resolution it will do, if you have decent drivers in for your graphics card and monitor it should work perfectly.

That should get rid of those annoying scroll bars and give a sharper picture too. 

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 09:22:31 pm »
Freddy,

I'm currently using a Viewsonic 19" LCD. It is a bit dated as it is NOT of the Wide screen style that some other users might have.

The FIXED and WIDE formats both worked flawlessly (no bottom scroll at all).

I do prefer the FIXED width as it doesn't take as long to concentrate on reading across a very wide page as opposed to a narrower one.

Years ago, a lot of sites used to limit their widths to a much narrower one for the reason above...they found that people obtain better concentration and comprehension with the columns were narrow. Look at a newspaper...quite narrow columns to help hold the reader's attention.

But, I digress...this was not a primer on typesetting or layout design. Merely to let you know that both are working and as always, it's nice to have choices and it's equally nice to have you do what you do!

Uhhh...I've been meaning to ask...what is it that you do again?... ;D :D ;D :D

Thanks for all your efforts, Freddy!!
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

GT40

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
    • My Bots
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 10:51:14 am »

Sorry Freddy, late, it took me two days to find the WIDE/FIXED in the bottom (dark blue letters on black background, quite invisible or totally invisible)! :D

My test is not very representative. A XP computer with a LCD screen and a 98 one with a CRT. Both in 1024x768 (can't do better). For me FIXED is the best, margins (left and right) are smaller, so the page looks very good. 8)

"There is no RL. Only AFK." (Jamie Jervil, resident of Second Life)

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 02:10:01 pm »
@Art,  I always read good things about Viewsonic - I thought you were on CRT still ?  You must have upgraded...that must have been some time ago.  I am glad it's working out with the fixed width.  I agree regarding the limiting of the width - for me it is easier to read, but each to their own.  Thanks for the compliment, I am glad to say I enjoy doing this stuff  :)

@GT40, two days  :o hmmm....shall I make them white ?  I think older monitors are not so good with contrast.  I have a fairly old 19" LCD here too and the contrast is no where near as good as the newer LCD I use.  Glad you like it now you have found it though !

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 02:42:53 pm »
Modern LCD screens work best, look best in their native resolutions, not like the old CRT screens, they were ok in most resolutions, well as a rule.

Yes, my wide screen even tells you if it doesn't like the resolution.  I have mine on maximum.  If you can't read the font you can always increase the size of it in Windows.  Browsers should be able to resize their fonts too.

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 01:35:01 am »
@Art,  I always read good things about Viewsonic - I thought you were on CRT still ?  You must have upgraded...that must have been some time ago. 

Yeah...I was a die-hard CRT guy...knowing they had mucho better display qualities but I noticed it was beginning to flicker at times and it's brightness level was no longer up to par. It too, was a Viewsonic 19" CRT and I did a lot of CAD and 3D work with it back in the day.
Like most things...there is an "engineered" time limit or "lifespan" if you will. For the most part, I'm OK with this but a part of me would certainly like better contrast, refresh speed, etc. Time will tell...and so will these "old" eyes!! ;)

Stay thirsty my friend....
;)
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 04:23:26 pm »
Well LCD's are a lot cheaper than they used to be and their image quality is a lot better than it was too.  It took me a while to move from CRT too.  I picked up this wide screen a year or two back and haven't looked back.  It's great having the extra space on screen, although I have hooked up a 19" too that I use when I am coding - one screen for the browser and the other for the coding.

If you are ever in the market for a wide screen, check out some of the Samsung monitors, they have great colour and contrast.

Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by MikeB (AI News )
March 15, 2024, 08:14:02 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

308 Guests, 1 User
Users active in past 15 minutes:
squarebear
[Trusty Member]

Most Online Today: 335. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles