50 Years from now...

• 9 Replies

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
50 Years from now...
« on: October 15, 2007, 02:23:10 pm »
We all do it...predict the future that is...and with varying degrees of success.  This time a British Professor of Artificial Intelligence temps fate with his view of the future...

http://www.wessexscene.co.uk/article.php?sid=2308

It's just a short article, but it made me wonder what the members here think will happen in the coming fifty years - what kind of things do you think are going to change our lives forever ?

GT40

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
    • My Bots
Re: 50 Years from now...
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 05:00:12 pm »

I remember SciFi movies from the 50's, about Year 2000. Some predictions happened, other ones never. And a lot of them were totally obsolete twenty years later. In 1957, did they imagine a PC (with the internet) for everyone?!

I guess it's a good thing we can't predicate anything. But only hope.

"There is no RL. Only AFK." (Jamie Jervil, resident of Second Life)

ALADYBLOND

• Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 07:12:14 pm »
i think robots will live in our homes with us in some fashion. maybe not in the human form we all dream of but close. i think they will do menial tasks and tutor our kids and do many of the things we now consider chores. I think we will have a health care system that covers all, but we will not have the rights we once had. I believe that the bulky pc will be reduced to hand held or worn device , glasses will have video screens that connect to pc and all of our senses will be heightened. the pc cell , telephone ipod and all these similar techs wil be in one form available to multi-task.i think there will still be autos but people might do more personal travel by rocket pack or personal hovercraft. i do not think homes or architecture will vary much, only more plush more computerized and efficient. I think you will change the color of your walls with a switch and change the view from your picture window the same way. night and day will cease to be of any importance as indoor climate will construct what ever hour you choose. I think people will remain the same , family oriented, religious, political, divided in opinions , but have much more time on their their hands to pursue fun and things they choose rather than work.
~~if i only had a brain~~

Maviarab

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
  • What are you doing Dave?
    • The Celluloid Sage
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 12:23:48 am »
Would agree on many points there with exception to your last one Alady.

With the way both our governments are going, will there be such a thing as 'free time' and will it at all be pleasurable?

Also, the world of consumerism via cost is rising afr beyond means and available money. Maybe the world will become even more elitist than it already is, and those that have, will have more, and those unfortunatly who don't, will have less.

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 01:33:42 am »
Some interesting points. Probably with all of Alady's mentioned computerized / connected items there will
most likely be all sorts of advertising to go with it.

For the most part there are already a lot of devices and even complete homes that are computerized and connected.

There are refridgerators that take stock of existing inventory and prepare a shopping list based on your likes, etc.
Looks like you're running low on Mayo and lunch meat...how about some "whatever brand".

There are GPS devices for your car that navigate to your destination (with maps and voice guidance).
You are almost to your destination but first how about stopping at Honest Harolds Quik Stop for some "whatever".

There are the computerized vacuums and lawn mowers.
So far they are self contained (not connected)

iPhones, Blacberrys (if they still exist) and numerous other "things" with which to assist us.
It really annoys me to receive advertising text messages on my cell phone and fax machine!

I do think there is a lot of unrevealed truth contained in a lot of Sci-Fi movies...that is to say, a lot of the things will come to pass.
(Minority report...optical / biometric scanning...Hello Mr.Smith...would you be interested in purchasing some more "whatever")

The future is upon us and I'll tell you all about it...
But first...a word from our sponsor.... ;D
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

ALADYBLOND

• Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 06:59:02 pm »
i am in full agreement with both of you. one thing that yanks my crank is even online if you watch a video or listen to a audio you have a 15 sec commercial to go through.  and, yes, mavi, i wonder will our time be free . we might pay for the oxygen we breathe by then. ::)
~~if i only had a brain~~

Art

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 08:53:56 pm »
Ahh...
Money is the grease that enables the wheels of society to turn!

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 04:13:14 pm »
I agree with a lot of Alady's points too - but the one I disagree with is the Jet Packs.  That's mainly because this was already tried back in the 50's or 60's I think.  The main problem then was that it soon used up the available fuel and running one was probably not going to be cost effective.  I think you were only able to fly for a few minutes, if I remember right it was for only around 90 seconds.  So I doubt anyone will find that useful unless for no apparent reason you want to fly the end of the street - it's a walk back though!

I do think homes will become even more hi-tech though.  Also a lot of things will become more compact and I agree that there will be a lot of interconnections between gadgets in the home.  Laptops will probably start to be more numerous than desktop PC's too as that is the way things seem to be going already.

Robotics in the home ?  Hmm well that has been suggested many times, but I think we are closer to it now than we ever have been - probably a lot of it will be for entertainment so I guess personal AI's will become more commonplace.  Carrying that thought on they will probably be able to control certain things too.

I think someone will finally crack the Turing Test too within the next 50 years, if not sooner.  So I know there will be a place for UltraHal and other similar things.

Also, I think that as technology prices continue to fall that we will see a more rapid change than before.

And yes, I am with Art....I am sure we will be flooded with even more advertising.  I bet we end up with a hi-tech toilet that can display advertising in multi-colours around the seat - and when that day comes, there will be no escape  :o
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 04:17:10 pm by Freddy »

Art

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 10:12:26 am »
<I bet we end up with a hi-tech toilet that can display advertising in multi-colours around the seat - and when that day comes, there will be no escape>

<GRIN> Yep...A straight flush beats a full house! :D

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 02:46:59 pm »
LOL  :D

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
Today at 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

298 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 343. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles