Driverless cars using AI

• 24 Replies

AndyGoode

Re: Driverless cars using AI
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2019, 12:43:56 am »
This is EXACTLY as I see it all running too, and this can ONLY be done with removing all human intervention.

Wow, you guys are serious? You're saying that all people should be forced to give up all driving on all public roads? Just so that some literally idiotic software of the wrong paradigm and wrong hardware can be forced to work? You do realize that autonomous cars use Deep Learning, which is barely any better than backprop, and literally cannot understand *any* concept whatsoever, like what a car is, what a pedestrian is, what a living thing is? Wow. This reminds me of Nickelback's song "If Everyone Cared", or The Bells' song "Fly Little White Dove Fly": if only everyone were nice, if only vows of peace were never broken, if only everyone obeyed the laws, if only everyone would just trust in this/that religious/political entity, if only everyone would just hand over their guns, etc., then we could all live in utopia. Yes, it's all so easy. Sorry, but the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

OllieGee

• Nomad
    • My Wattpad writing page
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2019, 11:17:35 am »
Autonomous car owners are going to get so mad when their car lets others merge.  :2funny:

No, again you have no need to get mad on anything including letting other cars merge. You will probably be too preoccupied with doing whatever else you are doing in the car such as working, watching a movie etc to worry about the autonomous actions outside.

goaty

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2019, 11:30:19 am »
If ppl put trust in some dodgy system thinking its as good as the decent professional model (which none of us here can actually make.),  accidents will happen.

OllieGee

• Nomad
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2019, 01:38:51 pm »
I don't want to labor this too much, but you are assuming people are going to put trust in a dodgy model, which of course wont happen.

goaty

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2019, 01:44:30 pm »
Ok then, you tell me - what does the most safest model involve having in its system?

OllieGee

• Nomad
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2019, 02:49:11 pm »
It's been well-publicized we are at least 10 years away from having any kind of commercial rollout.
It is only then when this will all be relevant (probably my fault, this is all future realm apologies if you thought I was referring to the here and now)

AndyGoode

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2019, 12:25:34 am »
I believe when the technology is ready then you'll know it, but I believe it won't be any kind of technology that we would recognize today. I also don't believe the human race as a whole will ever be allowed to use AGI, or even be informed that it exists, but that's another whole topic, and that opinion is based on non-technical reasons.

MikeB

• Autobot
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2019, 07:31:55 am »
Tesla are the most widely known people working on it. But it's not AGI, it's just regular visual scanning, computing where everything is, setting priorities.

They use a variety of cameras, position sensors... including ultra sonics, some low power mmWave (25 to 75ghz) to detect different moving bodies including people, cars, etc.)

Works extremely well, and has an "auto summon" feature that can make the car wake up and drive toward you, including going around corners, at low speed without anyone in the car.

https://www.tesla.com/autopilot

DemonRaven

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
  • Disclaimer old brain @ work not liable for content
    • Chatbotfriends
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2019, 08:02:23 am »
I am someone who loves robots and that is basically what autonomous cars become and while I think robots can do a lot of good there is a real chance of harm no one seems to think about. All those drivers that drive trucks, bus, taxi's, etc would lose those jobs and guess who gets to pick up the tab for their unemployment one way or another if not directly then indirectly (via use of government food support). That is a lot of unemployed people and frankly i don't like the idea of robots replacing people. Plus to me that would be the most boring car ride imaginable. I like to drive and I don't' like being a passenger.
So sue me

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2019, 01:51:17 pm »
I recently watched a video that said within the next 10 years (give or take) approximately 880 million (truck, delivery, taxi, long-haul 18 wheelers, etc) drivers will be out of their jobs. Between online ordering, branch offices for shipping and the company called OTTO, there will be lots of autonomous vehicles on our roads. Of course, the video said a similar thing happened with the Assembly lines appeared and that it helped create jobs. Yeah...whatever.

The article went on to say that in the very near future, young people will no longer need to know how to drive!

Last year my granddaughter was studying for her driving test. I told her I could get some cones and we could space them in the parking lot. When she inquired why I told her so that she could practice Parallel Parking and that I would show her some tips I'd learned back when I got my license.

She said to me very nonchalantly, Oh, Poppop, we don't need to know how to parallel park. That's no longer on the test!

I was floored, staring at her like the proverbial deer in the headlights. She said, I swear, it's no longer on the test. Most cars have backup cameras and some even have auto-park features so why bother learning something we won't need?

I guess we can't argue with progress or with a very bright 17-year-old!  O0
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
Today at 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

316 Guests, 1 User
Users active in past 15 minutes:
ivan.moony
[Trusty Member]

Most Online Today: 346. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles