WW3

• 22 Replies

ivan.moony

• Trusty Member
  • Bishop
    • mind-child
WW3
« on: May 05, 2015, 09:34:29 pm »
They say that world war III will be fought by machines. Is this supposed to be a good or a bad thing?

squarebear

• Trusty Member
  • Terminator
  • It's Hip to be Square
Re: WW3
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 09:46:56 pm »

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”

― Albert Einstein
Feeling Chatty?
www.mitsuku.com

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 10:12:14 pm »
That's good Squarebear. I remembered reading that some time ago...just can't remember which time.
No matter...

Uh...What was the question again?
 :2funny:
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

Ultron

• Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
  • There are no strings on me.
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 10:35:25 pm »
Dr. Maasaki Hatsumi said (paraphrasing) - we should be peaceful and calm, but must always be ready for war.

We already have a "cold war" style war already - spies, politics, economy. Never have battles been so evil, devious and cold-hearted. Many lies, casualties and in the end we are convinced that we are at 'peace'. There is no honor in today's battles - simply put. And in the end, those that are at war or at the head of the faction are never the ones to be hurt. The only way they are 'hurt' is by loosing resources and we, humans, are nothing but a resource to Them.

A.I. or not, humans will always be the ones to feel the struggle of war and be it's casualties. Robots can only be iron with a new shape - a new weapon or toy. If we on the other hand, talk about true A.I. - something like what we saw in Age of Ultron represented by Ultron and The Vision, then we are in trouble. Entities such as those could easily be considered overpowered - just because of their ability to easily interface with machines. They also wouldn't feel pain and could very easily transfer their conscience to other bodies. Improvements would be just as easy. They wouldn't even have to posses the same cognitive abilities as us - but their interfacing abilities would be far superior.

It's like having two soldiers - one can only see the 'visible' portion of the spectrum and only caries a knife, while the other, armed with a rifle that can fire self-guided bullets, can see 90% of the EM spectrum... Just to make a not-really-exaggerated analogy.
Software and Hardware developer, and everything in between.

Art

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 01:21:04 am »
Relax! Put away your bullets and pop guns. The final war will be fought using computers and computer-based technology from desktops, laptops, tablets, phones, mainframes and cloud-based hardware devices.

Yes Pilgrim, it will likely be a Cyber War...a MMORPG of a different type, scale and prize! It could spell the destruction of life as we know it, virtually setting civilization and humanity back hundreds of years. Hopefully, from the dust, we could cobble together some remnants of the Industrial Revolution if we could wait that long and had the where-with-all to create those needed inventions! You see, most have become far too "comfortable" with out technology that kids don't need to know how to do long division, square roots, multiplication tables, geography or anything of a practical nature.

The stores today are unable to process your order if the power goes down (or the computer - same thing).
Without power, we're all screwed, unless you have a dependable wind, solar or water powered generator. But hey...it's a start.

Now you were saying while you were sharpening that stick? ;)

ivan.moony

• Trusty Member
  • Bishop
    • mind-child
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 03:01:43 pm »
thank you for insightful opinions.

ivan.moony

• Trusty Member
  • Bishop
    • mind-child
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 07:54:46 pm »
Guess what? I think there will be no WW3. Look at how we are scared to use atomic bombs. No one wants them, even in wars of today. Now imagine artificial intelligence. We will be terrified so much to use such a power for wars. So we won't, and we will live in peace, once that third world countries get developed enough to stop their wars.

Maybe we will build creepy war things, just in case, but I believe that we won't ever use it.

Ultron

• Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
  • There are no strings on me.
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 08:26:10 pm »
When you think of it, nobody wants war - well, speaking in terms of general public. However, the war is usually began by powerful mis-minded people such as Adolf Hitler.

But nobody can force you into war, unless you agree to it and give in. This is something everybody fails to see - if we really didn't want a war as much, there wouldn't be anyone signing up for the military.

That aside, even if we are scared of these weapons that is no guarantee that those who are most likely to use them are or wouldn't, even if they were afraid.

There will always be war, I just hope that we stop killing our own in those wars.

I will admit that I am personally somebody who would take pleasure in a battle - however, a honorable battle... A battle of my own... A battle to protect what I personally love and believe in - not the political wars that soldiers fought for others.
Software and Hardware developer, and everything in between.

Art

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 01:59:25 am »
This pretty much sums it all up, “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

Don Patrick

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • AI / robot merchandise
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 07:24:24 am »
WW3 looks to be within Putin's lifetime, so not really. Governments are currently discussing a ban on autonomous weapons.

I do expect some point where we're all just building machines to battle other machines. Right now in fact, defense contractors are developing anti-drone drones (you know, to counter spying quadcopters). I think this is a good thing for eventually making people realise that this is a silly impasse where we're just wasting resources. It would take the personal grudges out of war.
CO2 retains heat. More CO2 in the air = hotter climate.

Art

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 05:36:18 pm »
Unfortunately, all wars are and have been fought, right or wrong, for some reason, belief or ideal.
Usually it was carried out by the people and not fought by the leaders.

Many years ago, there was a TV spot that showed two older leaders or their respective countries. The men were in a large boxing ring and they had boxing gloves put on and were told to carry out their fight or war in the ring. Winner decided and war over!

Maybe a lot less wars would be waged. ;)

ranch vermin

• Not much time left.
  • Terminator
  • Its nearly time!
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2015, 08:20:50 pm »
Its going to be tricky to tell a weapon from a non weapon.

Im quite sure a robot suits a simple minded primitive killer, it needs generate the right shapes in its body, around the shapes its sorrounded with, based apon what shapes it made last time around these other shapes.

I saw this photo of an asian man, with a robotic mosquito, that detects how a white man smells like,  imagine mass producing them and dropping a cloud on australia,  :)

Richard

• Trusty Member
  • Roomba
  • Lua, JS, C++, Java, and LOOP
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2015, 12:07:37 am »
When I think of the future of AI I tend to think two things: Pragmatic distrust, and social unrest. That is in the context of survival. Yes they say World War 3 will be fought by AI, although 'they' do not necessarily know If there will be a World War 3, nor who fights In this war.

I say Pragmatic distrust because as AI get smarter and smarter the trust we will put into AI will increase on the manufacturing end, and lessen on the public end- So it stands to ideal that In Republic, Parliament, or a derivative of a democratic system that AI will be limited by law as to how advanced they can be, so long as those governments/peoples decide that's appropriate- This is similar to how many nuclear silos around the world are using older computers, although less efficient and less mathematically savvy many of the old computers have no wifi, and prevent attacks unless someone used the computer manually from within the silo. If we choose its safer to not allow AIs to be in charge of nukes, or even weapons, then it will not be a problem.

I say social unrest because if we did have a near-completely digitized military then you lose the traditional prospects like a self-run country, morals in battle, and you have an extremely large military budget that takes away from other portions of the economy. No democratic system could really support this (theoretically) unless it's public was in favor of extreme military and resource expenditure and running the risk of miscalculation in battle (i.e. friendly fire)

In the end wars are fought by people, to topple people. To make Robots shoot at eachother is like saying both countries want to throw away a massive amount of metal resources (due to death in battle) to POSSIBLY gain another resource In another country, or POSSIBLY topple a government. And even then opposing militia would be sure to disable a robot and take it for technology research before the end of the war, which raises the question of security on the battlefield.

People are renewable, eventually Robots will not be. It sounds harsh, and it is, but quite truly I doubt it will be fought with predominantly AI fighters.

Aside form everything i mentioned there is still cyber-warfare which will always be a joint-effort between AI and humans, and cyber-warfare is said to be the war of the future. Toppling an economy is more crippling than winning a military battle.

Korrelan

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • Look into my eyes! WOAH!
    • YouTube
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2015, 12:43:36 am »
For an AGI to engage in a war it would have too be as dumb as us.  I'm sure a AGI could find a much more efficient way of solving its problems. :o
It thunk... therefore it is!...    /    Project Page    /    KorrTecx Website

Art

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2015, 05:40:50 pm »
The bottom line always falls back to the age old question: Can computers think or will they ever become sentient?
Some contend that no matter how complicated their decision making task, they are still running a program and carrying out a set of instructions. They will be incapable of "thought" or consciousness as we know it.

Perhaps some brianiac will prove those people wrong. Time is ticking....

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
March 28, 2024, 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

313 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 396. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles