SL without SL - Cloud Computing

• 12 Replies

GT40

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
    • My Bots
SL without SL - Cloud Computing
« on: March 06, 2011, 02:23:37 pm »

As you know, cloud computing is the fact you can run a program without installing it on your computer, a distant server doing all the job for you. The main advantage is that we can do quite everything with a low-end machine. With maybe some little problems about security and privacy...

All this seemed very serious but two years ago, they started to speak about using cloud computing for games (why not):

http://www.redherring.com/home/25965

Recently (last November), Second Life launched a web viewer (beta), named Skylight, allowing people to go in SL with their ordinary web browser:

http://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2010/11/second-life-launches-beta-web-browser-test-using-gaikai-streaming.html

This was a limited experience but many beta-testers seemed very amazed by the result.

And today... tada!!

http://jayrcelasecondlifetechnologist.blogspot.com/2011/03/secondlife-moves-into-cloud-2-new-3rd.html

http://www.b2cmarketinginsider.com/consumer-marketing/gaikai-in-beta-phase-allows-play-of-pc-and-console-games-through-browser-016845

For now, the both existing services are provided by Gaikai and Spoon. Many questions. Wait and see... ::)

"There is no RL. Only AFK." (Jamie Jervil, resident of Second Life)

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
Re: SL without SL - Cloud Computing
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 03:09:59 pm »
Thanks for that, I must admit I was a bit foggy (groan) about the whole cloud thing.  Thanks for the education !

GT40

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
    • My Bots
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 04:34:18 pm »

Lol Freddy, I'm not a teacher. All those new terms, mainly used by serious journalists, make me laugh: the Cloud, Web 2.0... So pretentious.  ;D

Data

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • Overclocked // Undervolted
    • Datahopa - Share your thoughts ideas and creations
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 11:04:14 am »
I’m not sure if I like the idea of the cloud, it feels like they are trying to push us in that direction, in the end the people will decide. 

Incidentally Windows 8 is going to integrate the cloud direct into Windows, at least that’s the plan, Im not sure what that means, maybe a hard drive showing in windows that’s housed on some server somewhere and aps that run in the cloud but look like they are part of Windows.  Maybe.

photostill

• Trusty Member
  • Nomad
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 06:51:20 pm »
Like Freddy I don't know a lot about "The Cloud" other than it's in news sites from time to time. I gather it is basically sort of driven by terms that brings you into your area of interest.

Web 2 was one of those things that were gonna change our internet life. I don't know about you but I don't see any difference from this end. It's a bit faster, it's riddled scam artists (as it always was), but there is nothing drastic in Web 2 from what I see.

These companies are pushing The Cloud for a reason. If you are not using your software on your computer, then whose are you using? If it's not on your computer, you will most likely be looking at all these corporations wet dreams. That is to say, no piracy and paying by the usage not for a program itself. Paying by usage is far more expensive in the long run, which is why it's the wet dream.

If you have to open your computer to be in the cloud, I have serious doubts that the security is "a little problem" and I already find it extremely annoying the crap one has to go through to keep just a few of the dataminers out not to mention driveby malware installers. No one will protect your security but you. Quite a few will be willing to take advantage of your lack of caring. 

The only reason the the cloud isn't having main security problems with sharing resources and computing is that it isn't mainstream and doesn't have the full attention of the hacker and cracker yet. You put the user percentage rates up around 80% or so and you'll see dedicated efforts to get into it that will strain the servers. If they crack the cloud they in to near everyone's computer. Either money or resources are both big drivers for gaining access. You just can't put big numbers of computer people together and not expect it to happen.

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 12:30:03 pm »
So our PC's will just become dumb terminals like in the good old days of mainframes ?

I go along with what you say Photostill and you echo my concerns.

I guess that would mean the end of modded applications too.

I can't see this taking over completely though, maybe we will have both.  Big software companies like Adobe will probably launch Photoshop like this , maybe they already have...

Hmm, more research needed.

:rtfm:

Data

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • Overclocked // Undervolted
    • Datahopa - Share your thoughts ideas and creations
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 12:45:48 pm »
If you google “windows 8 cloud” there is lots of talk about it, most seems to be ideas of what MS want to do, though as yet nothing is set in stone.

There is still hope.

claude2

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
  • are us machineries?
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 11:49:18 pm »
Dear DataHopa, One thank you very much for information!! That's true, it would be better not to make the download of SecondLife, from, it is on a browser. I think that it would be lighter, that actual program, it is great, if it evolved, towards a simple LOG... Cool and interesting my friend, mostly not download necessary, and also better for the computer. :)
welcome to my world!
the doors we open and close each day decide the way we live....flora whittemore

It is a proverb, sent of my friend Rutanya Alda, actress. (Amityville2)

GT40

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
    • My Bots
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 06:01:51 pm »

Sorry to bother you again with articles about SL and the Cloud, but you know I love SL.  :D

http://changingworldsbuildingdreams.com/what-everyone-needs-to-know-about-second-life-on-the-cloud

An interesting (at least for SL users, lol) but "cloudy" (it was one year ago) interview of Joe Miller from LL (aka Joe Linden in SL).  :)

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 05:14:50 pm »
Interesting article GT :)

Looks like the main thing holding something like this back is broadband speed - technologically speaking anyway.  And money of course...

claude2

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
  • are us machineries?
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 02:29:28 am »
Dear Gt40, and all my friends of aidreams, you are my source, resolutions, for SecondLife, will make evolved, programs it. I also like SecondLife, now, I am a gladiator, or, a wolf. I make a lot of discovery. But I am going to take back my Iclone favorit, which I like very much!! But best regards has all. Claude ;)
welcome to my world!
the doors we open and close each day decide the way we live....flora whittemore

It is a proverb, sent of my friend Rutanya Alda, actress. (Amityville2)

lrh9

• Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
  • Rome wasn't built in a day.
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 07:55:22 am »
I'm not very concerned about the cloud.

I agree it is a serious issue, but cloud companies don't have a monopoly.

As long as open source exists, so too will software people host on their own physical devices.

If the cloud revolution happens in my lifetime, I'll start using Ubuntu most of the time.

(I should probably get around to reading my copy of Ubuntu Unleashed.)

I'll still have a Windows box, but nothing will enter or leave it except information regarding video games.

Essentially, Windows boxes will become consoles on steroids with glorified interfaces.

GT40

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
    • My Bots
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2011, 02:37:50 pm »

I thought I had found "the" solution: I unplugged my modem from the wall and wow it works! The cloud is gone and the weather is sunny again. :)

But now, my TV, phone and SL don't work anymore. I know nothing about computers. Please help me!! :idiot2:

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
Today at 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

301 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 335. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles