• 472 Replies

Data

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • Overclocked // Undervolted
    • Datahopa - Share your thoughts ideas and creations
Re: This is a spam from Second Life
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 03:48:18 pm »
I understand you Claude and I agree with you too  :)

The problem with SL is their servers, they can’t out put enough data for everyone in the sims, so everyone ends up getting lag, and the more people that join the worse it is getting.

I’m pretty sure my computer is fast enough, I can still play the latest games in 1920 x 1080 at maximum settings with a good frame rate and my cable connection is also very quick too.

SL needs much quicker servers.

GT40

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
    • My Bots
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2012, 04:17:25 pm »

Data I'm so disappointed for you and that's not good for my sect, lol.

3 to 5 fps is the frame rate that some people can obtain with a netbook. I'm sure you have a great computer. I guess you loaded the last official SL viewer (version 3). Most people hate it and use a third-party viewer. But that can't explain the bad frame rate.

Claude is right, the most important are the graphics settings (I guess yours are max).

You know I have a 10 y.o. old computer:

Pentium IV, RAM 2 GO, Geforce Ti4600, Windows XP3, 1024x768.
SL viewer: ultimate version 1 (1.23.5)
Draw Distance: 64 m

Measures by the Statistic Bar:

walking on an empty land: 25 fps (like my real TV)
standing on an empty land: 32 fps
zooming on the ground (no interest): 57 fps
elsewhere: I always have the Lag Meter in a corner of the screen and try to keep the 3 spots green!

I have read tons of articles about "how to reduce the lag in SL", I guess I can't do much better with this computer, lol.

If you tp to very crowded places (like top clubs), nothing to do when you have 50 people and more on the sim. Just dance or... do what you want with your partner on poseballs. There, the lag isn't very annoying.

I remember a wedding with 50 people in the church, or a concert of ZZ Top (very realistic avatars) with maybe 100 people on the sim: the lag was just horrible!!

About graphics settings, the first thing to do is to reduce the draw distance. Why having a 512 m dd if we are in a room? In all my places (public and private) 64 m are enough. When I have to travel, I increase the draw distance. Of course there are many other parameters, but less important.

Please Data, don't leave!!  ;D

« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 04:26:42 pm by GT40 »
"There is no RL. Only AFK." (Jamie Jervil, resident of Second Life)

Data

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2012, 05:03:04 pm »
I do actually like SL GT, I used to have 3 shops a few years back, but now I find it unbelievably frustrating, don’t worry though, I will not delete my account so really I am still a member.

Thanks for the tips, I didn’t know the one about the SL viewer: ultimate version 1 (1.23.5), might give that a go. O0

You probably wont be too surprised to know that I do know the other setting tweaks, on my PC the only one that makes any improvement is the draw distance, setting it to 64 meters, not a fault of my PC just a lack of bandwidth from the SL servers, apart from that I do have it all on Ultra settings, you are correct.

Just tried it today, 64 meters draw distance, went to a sandbox with about 15 people in, started to build and got an amazing 7 FPS.

See the bottom right hand side of the image attached for FPS.

Yes you can see two weapon HUDs running, the sandbox is a dangerous place for a Wizard like me  :D.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 06:48:20 pm by Datahopa »

claude2

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
  • are us machineries?
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012, 07:16:50 pm »
DataHop is accurate. This is a problem of simultaneous concentration of Databank. The load is too large, will have one is load times. For my part, I managed, solved the problem by a friend who guides me live. So you have tested, the elimination of contours, such as objects, a very heavy load, and also contains a light burden, it must be set to function, behavior, and loading. Normally after that, everything is okay. Now, and as said, our friend Gt40. The new version, must have new correction for this problem. :)
welcome to my world!
the doors we open and close each day decide the way we live....flora whittemore

It is a proverb, sent of my friend Rutanya Alda, actress. (Amityville2)

GT40

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
    • My Bots
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2012, 09:10:52 pm »

Oops sorry to notice that the old viewer disappeared from the SL Wiki. It was still available last month. Not a good sign.

With Google, it's possible to download it from some independent sites, like this one:

http://www.sensic.nl/PrivateMedia/Second_Life_1-23-5-136262_Setup.exe

Hope they didn't add malwares inside.

(btw Data, now I know you)  :)

Data

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2012, 01:12:06 pm »
(btw Data, now I know you)  :)

Indeed you do know me now GT, if you see me on line in SL, which is possible, please feel free to IM me :)

GT40

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
    • My Bots
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2012, 03:07:29 pm »

Thank you Data. Maybe we will meet on this sandbox. Of course I will use my first avatar/name when I entered SL. Much less interesting than my alts. Because neutral, politically correct, not interesting at all, "normal", just like me in RL (but of course younger).  ;)

Data

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2012, 11:07:10 am »
Been speaking to some old timers In SL and they have all said that the viewer to use is an open source viewer called Phoenix, so I downloaded it and gave it a try and the improvement over the viewer that you get from Linden Labs (the default SL viewer) is huge.

Now getting better frame rate with Ultra settings and my draw distance is 224 meters.

What is it with Linden Labs :tickedoff:, they can’t make a good viewer for their own virtual world, it takes some clever hackers to show them how it’s done.

You can download Phoenix from here:
http://www.phoenixviewer.com/

GT40

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
    • My Bots
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2012, 03:12:13 pm »

Thank you Data. I have tried Phoenix in the past, and before, Emerald. Emerald was the same viewer. I guess you know the story: when LL discovered a malware in the code, they banned Emerald (and it was forbidden to use it). Then the team who had made Emerald launched Phoenix (same but without the malware inside)!!!

Phoenix works fine on my old computer and offers more tools (useful or not) but I went back to the old official 1.23.5 for several reasons.

Of course because I NEVER crash with it. And just for me, THE reason:

I have made hundreds of movies, pics, slideshows, animated pics for my places. Sometimes someone tells me he/she is unable to watch my wonderful movies (white screen), lol. With a recent computer (even a Mac) and a recent viewer. Sure he/she missed something but not my fault! It seems several recent viewers can't play movies.:(

With Phoenix I can see the movies but sometimes I have an issue. Nothing like that with the old viewer. The movie starts very quickly and plays like in a dream.

That's why many residents still use this obsolete viewer.

BTW lots of people are unable to go in SL with recent computers made for work, with a graphics chip integrated on the motherboard. But hey, a boss doesn't buy computers to go in SL!! ;D

« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 03:31:58 pm by GT40 »

claude2

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
  • are us machineries?
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2012, 05:36:20 pm »
Totally agree with you DataHopa. I had instant download SL 2012. I took my registration in 2010. So far everything is okay. Then made ​​an empty-file. Well, now, a white fleecy lag. So I can wait. And if everything back, I give you my username. it will be fun to chat live. :) O0
welcome to my world!

GT40

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
    • My Bots
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2012, 07:29:44 pm »

Oops Data and Claude (and others ??), I forgot to say that if you want to watch movies in SL, you must install QuickTime on your computer before. :-[

Data

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2012, 12:30:13 pm »
GT I didn’t know about the malware in the Emerald viewer, thanks for pointing that out, I did use it about a year ago.

Also read all your post and found it an interesting read, not surprised computers with onboard graphics can’t run SL, you are right the boss wouldn’t like it if they could  ;)

QuickTime & Windows 7
I haven’t proved it in SL yet but Windows 7 can play .mov files so there shouldn’t be a need to install QT in Win 7 for SL.
I can say that my Win 7 can play the .mov files I have on my PC straight away after installation.

Maybe see my friends Claude and GT in SL sometime, which would be cool  8).

GT40

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
    • My Bots
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2012, 04:32:44 pm »

Data, no worries about the late malware anymore (a spyware looking for informations about residents?), lol. I must say everytime I use a third-party viewer, I wonder if I give my password to the guys who made the program or just to LL. But I know I'm a little paranoiac. ;D

QuickTime needed in SL under Windows 7 ? I don't know. Maybe you could find in "Search" LM's of shops selling SL TV's. And go there. You will see if their movies play in your SL.

I bought QT7 Pro after I started to make movies. QT often has hiccups (stop and go, lol) when running under my XP. I thought my computer was too old, or because itsn't a Mac. But it's funny to see that inside SL, the same movies always play perfectly. O0

claude2

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
  • are us machineries?
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2012, 08:08:11 pm »
After testing the viewer 3.2.5., Accidental disconnection, and large bore. So I make the download of SL viewer: an Ultimate version (1.23.5). Hopefully this will work. >:( :o ;)
welcome to my world!

claude2

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
  • are us machineries?
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2012, 08:49:16 pm »
There are still some minutes to download. Good. It is great to join us. I found an island with lots of bird, and very flowery. But there are plenty of things to see, I hope a good time to laugh with you. ;)
welcome to my world!

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
Today at 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

293 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 343. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles