• 14 Replies

DemonRaven

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
  • Disclaimer old brain @ work not liable for content
    • Chatbotfriends
Wow not liking ten much.
« on: September 24, 2015, 12:12:46 am »
 :o Windows ten is a memory hog, holy cow. I went into the task manager and talk about using cpu and memory wow. I had to go in and delete some unnecessary programs and shut off some settings. I belong to several virtual worlds and on one of them i am what is called a events team member and i had to be there today and boy talk about laggy big time and i know for a fact that it did not update as utherverse is not known for it frequent updates.
So sue me

8pla.net

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • TV News. Pub. UAL (PhD). Robitron Mod. LPC Judge.
    • 8pla.net
Re: Wow not liking ten much.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 02:29:51 am »
I like Microsoft, and I always will.   I just find that I drifted away from them. 
Funny how, in DOS, I find myself typing in Linux commands, sometimes!   
And, in Linux, I find myself configuring a Start menu to look like Windows.

I am so sorry to hear about your operating system annoyances.
My suggestion is to install Linux on an older, spare computer, and
start using it part time, to slowly let the learning curve fade away.

What's convenient about Linux is that it is so stable, meaning there are relatively no bothers. No expiring anti-virus or security related products that make the PC run improperly.  Linux just runs, and runs very reliably. 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 02:53:34 am by 8pla.net »
My Very Enormous Monster Just Stopped Using Nine

DemonRaven

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • Chatbotfriends
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 04:40:51 am »
Thank you for the suggestion there is just one little problem with that i am old and it is harder for me to learn new things. I have to go over stuff ten times more now then i did when i was younger for it actually stick in my brain. I just dialed my computer back to windows 8.1 it does not hog the memory as much.
So sue me

Data

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • Overclocked // Undervolted
    • Datahopa - Share your thoughts ideas and creations
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 09:57:06 am »
I haven't seen any memory hogging in win 10 on either my install or my customers.

I have seen problems where people have done the up-grade to windows 10 and left software on their computers from their previous windows install. Got over that problem by doing a clean install of win10.

For me Linux is far from perfect because I like to play games and run DirectX game engines, does Linux fully support DirectX ? last time I looked in to it support was far from perfect.

It is good that we have choice and can choose the best OS for ourselves, but Microsoft will pull the plug on windows 8.1 at some point, it would be wise to bear that in mind. The clock is ticking regarding getting the free up-grade to 10.

EDIT:
If it's better frames per second you are after then windows 10 is the clear winner. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjdvCDAJ0iE
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 10:47:22 am by Data »

8pla.net

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
    • 8pla.net
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 02:25:39 pm »
Great to hear about your success supporting customers with Microsoft products!  A buddy of mine, pointed out to me, "You're famous!" when he discovered the college textbooks on advanced Microsoft technologies, that published me. 

During my TV interview (Tech TV on cable) in prime time... Wouldn't you know it? Discussion of the Microsoft Windows Driver Development Kit (DDK) came up!  For these reasons, my feedback on Linux is only meant to benefit Microsoft. To answer your question, in C++, I program in 3D using OpenGL on Linux. OpenGL is the Windows NT predecessor of DirectX.  For 3D modeling, I very much enjoy Blender 3D on Linux, which includes a game engine. 

Just to further clarify the spirit of my previous comments, they are not meant to disparage Microsoft in any way. Once, I attended a seminar in a conference room at Microsoft headquarters, and Bill Gates showed up.  Microsoft has always been so nice to me, with free software, hardware, books and food... On one occasion, they bought me a beef steak for brunch, in exchange for "confiscating;)  my live Linux boot disk.**

** Not really confiscated! That's just  how my friends like to jokingly tell that story.

8pla.net

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
    • 8pla.net
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 03:13:36 pm »
Thank you for the suggestion there is just one little problem ...

A little solution, to a little problem, is to do little for a little while.  Start with simply booting up and shutting down Linux properly.  Then, bootup, surf the web, and shutdown properly.   Now, that it serves a useful purpose, just relax and take your time learning.

Despite the extra space it takes, it tends to be fun geeking out with two computer screens, keyboards and mice, side by side.  What's cool is that since Linux is open source, it is lighter weight than closed source.   

So, just like Data's video... Supe up an older PC, like a hot rod in a race, against a newer PC.

DemonRaven

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • Chatbotfriends
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 08:27:29 pm »
Data you might have a newer  computer then  mine. Mine is over 5 years old. So it does not like the additional programs that windows ten adds. Windows ten would not even install on mine at first because of the graphics card i have. They updated it and then i was able to install it.

I did do a clean install. I usually do as it is more efficient and solves lots of problems like you pointed out.
So sue me

Data

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 10:01:04 am »
LOL 8pla.net, I can assure you that I'm not on some kind of ego trip, I only run a small business that looks after peoples computers in and around the area I live in. Also give some free advice out on the web, but that's more of a hobby really.

DemonRaven, sounds like you did the right thing with a clean install, I guess older computers with relatively small amounts of RAM shouldn't really consider up-dating to windows 10. Thanks for the tip :)

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 10:21:26 am »
I'm also finding out that some older computers cannot cope with the newer network protocols for routers on a network.

My old Linksys D router took a hit during a recent power spike / failure. I purchased a new Netgear AC 1900 - Nighthawk R7000.

I am now unable to connect wife's 7 year old computer on the network since her network card is not compatible with the new router, despite a long chat session with tech support. I connected a new, shielded, Cat 6 crossover cable.

What's funny, even my older Linux box can connect to it but not wife's Window 7 computer.

I hate to have to spring for yet another computer!! :(
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

DemonRaven

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • Chatbotfriends
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 03:07:54 pm »
The other thing i am starting to dislike about the whole thing is now it only wants to update to windows ten. So far as of yet no other kinds of updates for windows 8.1 are in. :/
So sue me

Data

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 06:59:11 pm »
DemonRaven, that is easy to fix, just remove up-date KB3035583 and then hide it, win 8 will revert to standard up-dates, I have done this on a few computers and it works :)

http://microsoft-news.com/how-to-remove-windows-10-upgrade-notification-on-windows-7-and-windows-8/

DemonRaven

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • Chatbotfriends
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 08:53:43 pm »
Thanks for the tip. :)
So sue me

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 12:46:25 am »
Or Completely do away with all those update and upgrades and stay with Windows 1.0 or was it Bob? :D

A friend said it was the Abacus, but aside from the 1.0 upgrade (one additional bead), it had no real GUI to speak of. It was more of a "Hands on" kind of thing. ;)
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

Data

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2015, 11:42:39 am »
[ Incoming silly Data comment ]

I'm a huge fan of the Abacus, lowest power consumption computer there is, unfortunately my hand to eye coordination isn't what it used to be and rendering videos just takes me too long these days :D

[ End silly Data comment ]

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2015, 05:20:15 pm »
Yep rendering would take a while on an abacus  :D

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
Today at 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

274 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 346. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles