infurl

• Administrator
  • Eve
  • Humans will disappoint you.
    • Home Page
Artificial Intelligence Jobs
« on: January 27, 2021, 03:59:19 am »
https://www.mind.ai/careers

There are some AI jobs being advertised by a company based in Seoul. The work seems to be related to symbolic artificial intelligence (GOFAI) which makes a nice change from the hysteria surrounding machine learning at the moment. The main requirement is for lots of experience with Common Lisp programming.

There is also information about the jobs posted on Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Common_Lisp/comments/l5v53e/still_hiring_lisp_engineer_for_ai_startup_remote/

I would be tempted to apply if I didn't have such an awesome job already.

yotamarker

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
  • battle programmer
    • battle programming
Re: Artificial Intelligence Jobs
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 06:52:48 pm »
I have been looking into this common lisp.

to my understanding it is a programming language in which the main advantage is that the source code can mutate while the
program is running.
^ is this correnct ?

infurl

• Administrator
  • Eve
  • Humans will disappoint you.
    • Home Page
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 12:10:29 am »
I have been looking into this common lisp.
to my understanding it is a programming language in which the main advantage is that the source code can mutate while the
program is running.
^ is this correct ?

That's certainly one way that you can use it. If a running program encounters a problem it can pause and a programmer can fix the problem interactively right there before allowing the program to resume. The Smalltalk programming language also has that capability.

Self-modifying code is generally a bad idea though; a better strategy is to write code that writes code and that is where Common Lisp really shines. It is often referred to as the programmable programming language. Code and data take the same form so you can process and manipulate programs as easily as data. No other language has such a powerful macro capability as Common Lisp and you would typically work with Common Lisp by building what is called a domain specific language. You solve a problem by developing a language that is specialized for that problem.

A good example of that is the Common Lisp loop macro which provides such powerful control over iteration that once you get used to using it, trying to implement loops in any other language seems so crippled it becomes very frustrating. Similarly, the Common Lisp Object System (CLOS) is the most powerful and easy to use implementation of object oriented programming anywhere. It is also implemented using a domain specific language called a metaobject protocol so it is simple to perform the kinds of really advanced tasks that you would have to do using nasty fragile hacks in languages like Python.

Most other programming languages have got some of the capabilities of Common Lisp bolted on to them in attempts to acquire some of its power but none of them even come close to having it all.

HS

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2021, 02:36:00 am »
Ok, if you put it that way, that does sound pretty cool. I'm gonna go check if I'm capable of learning it at the moment.

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
Today at 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

246 Guests, 1 User
Users active in past 15 minutes:
WriterOfMinds
[Trusty Member]

Most Online Today: 335. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles