Could the internet reach singularity?

• 13 Replies

HS

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
Could the internet reach singularity?
« on: June 14, 2019, 06:44:03 am »
It is big and complicated and constantly getting more so. The more I consider it the more it starts to look like the infamous primordial ooze. In this case, a big soup of information is being stirred around by billions, random ingredients are thrown in willy-nilly. Millions more meddle with what can be seen as it’s physics, or at least chemistry. All those chances might amount to a brute force, what-can-happen-will-happen, approach to creation. Much like the early earth, and it’s ooze, which seems to have packed up and left, because life on earth looks to have had only the one genesis. Which is odd, and therefore could tell us something.

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
  • First it wiggles, then it is rewarded.
    • Main Project Thread
Re: Could the internet reach singularity?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 06:49:16 am »
The internet is actually comprised of a swarm of nodes wirelessly connected. The amount of nodes does exponentially increase each year, and so does the amount of information on the nodes and between the nodes.

The singularity you really mean is where evolution gets faster and the internet begins to multiple much faster. And as you know, the next stage in evolution is AGI that takes over the duplication process. Intelligence is duplication and preservation, "ownership of a piece of land". Divide & Conquer.
Emergent          https://openai.com/blog/

AndyGoode

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 10:34:47 pm »
I say no. People discussing the semantic web used to raise the same question, and I have constantly said no to their idea that the semantic web could become intelligent, as well. My reasoning is that (public) science has no idea of how the brain works at a higher level of abstraction, so unless some special hardware or software were built that performed the appropriate operations on the appropriate data structures, then brain-like operations could never be performed in any degree of coordination to even mimic intelligence. The Internet and modern computer science are almost completely based on characters, numbers, discrete data structures, discrete networks, and so on, and decades of extensive research into all these topics have failed to produce AGI, so the chance of such structures accidentally producing AGI is extremely small, in my opinion.

Primordial ooze has a lot more data structures than computer science, so I'd say even primordial ooze has a better chance of reaching AGI than the highly constrained data structures of computer science. As for swarms, I don't believe in swarm intelligence much, either.

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 01:21:35 am »
Obviously we need AGI to do R&D, but that's what I meant, AGI would be made on the 'internet', assuming it does R&D, and would become a swarm. Currently only humans do R&D really. AGI requires teaching, desires, Q-A-ing, evolving new answers....

HS

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 02:40:05 am »
We've already got computer viruses. Biologically viruses are much like the undead, a step or two from life. Next up, computer amoebas, bacteria, jellyfish... and so on. Not super AGI right away.   

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2019, 02:43:39 am »
Yes, intelligence will arise on computers, and it will jump out into the real world, but it will look like a massive IoT nanobot swarm lol. The internet will literally jump at you.

HS

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 02:49:06 am »
The VR possibilities!

AndyGoode

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 03:56:15 am »
We've already got computer viruses. Biologically viruses are much like the undead, a step or two from life.

Years ago I read that biological viruses most likely arose from already complete, functioning, living cells, not the other way around. Recent research still suggests that life came first, viruses later:

https://cosmosmagazine.com/biology/what-came-first-cells-or-viruses

This makes sense to me, since a biological virus is basically a program (DNA instructions) without a computer (cell) to run it, so it's a little hard for me to imagine how a precursor virus could evolve unless it had a computer-like helper (cell) to run the virus code: the precursor virus would permanently be unable to test and modify its program, even through random trial-and-order, to even get started in its evolution.

Implication: The same as what I mentioned in my earlier post in this thread: Until you have the full working negentropic phenomenon (life, intelligence, etc.) in a system, it's unlikely you'll ever get simpler offshoots of it to occur.

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 04:00:33 am »
Oh, self evolution in the internet. Ya, unlikely for now. If AGIs were here, yes it is then now. But less likely until something like AGI is made on the internet. It'll be more o from humans artificially making intelligence over artificial evolution on the internet. Artificially guided evolution...on the internet...is still its own unique amazing idea, but not quite there...yet.

HS

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 04:45:08 am »
Thanks for the info Andy, I was quoting half remembered stuff from highschool biology.

HS

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2019, 04:48:21 am »
Yeah Lock, i think you're right.

goaty

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2019, 10:56:24 am »
A singularity on the internet is if someone makes an ai.i bot that solves all the captchas and takes over - destroying everything. :)

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2019, 04:06:50 pm »
Goaty,

You know that the real emerging Singularity will be when all those YouTube funny Animal videos suddenly come to life and take over! ;)
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

goaty

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2019, 06:50:31 pm »
That is definitely possible, the dogs are talking.

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
Today at 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

314 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 346. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles