Do we want it?

• 39 Replies

Zero

• Eve
Re: Do we want it?
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2020, 09:04:54 pm »
The future is not set. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves.

frankinstien

• Replicant
    • Knowledgeable Machines
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2020, 02:33:43 am »
The future is not set. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves.

That or some life extinguishing event, but I get the point. :)

Korrelan

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • Look into my eyes! WOAH!
    • YouTube
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2020, 11:58:23 am »
I can only answer from the perspective of my project/ research on machine intelligence/ consciousness.

The answer to the posts initial question (1, 2 or 3) is 2.5.  Sentience is scaleable, depending on the amount of processing power you throw at it, the size of the model, the speed of the processors and ‘life experience’ allowed to the model.

Do we want it?

Human IQ is not fixed, it varies constantly, but using IQ as a metric a single machine with an IQ of 500 is more potent than a 1000 humans with an IQ of 130.  Our language/ protocols are the bottleneck that stops us being an unlimitedly efficient processing group.

I don’t know if you read the news but humanity is currently having a hard time, we are not doing a stellar job of looking after both our environment and our societies. C19 is wreaking havoc with our species and the ecosphere is getting the crap kicked out of it.

As I’ve stated before, I personally think the human condition is the problem, greed, jealousy, racism, politics, etc are all grounded/ stem from our emotional intelligence… this is humanities main hurdle. The original evolutionary purpose of emotion is being twisted by our current societal progress, and now it’s poisoning our existence.  The only emotional relevant trait an AGI will require is empathy, and this is derived from intelligence, not pure emotion.

Giving everyone access to AGI, ASI given the current state of our world politics will only accelerate our demise, humanities greed and stupidity would turn it into a potent weapon, and I agree this cannot be allowed to happen.  Yet we do need AGI’s that can sort this crap out, cure the diseases, improve renewable resources, solve famine, etc.

I think the initial solution is that we need a ASI ‘think tank’ that is available to all but controlled by no one, a globally accessible resource that can be queried, and will provide emotionless, logical, unbiased solutions to our problems along with the explanations of why it came to its conclusions.

I’m going to put it in orbit lol.

:)
It thunk... therefore it is!...    /    Project Page    /    KorrTecx Website

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2020, 02:27:50 pm »
Well Korellan, I certainly agree with practically everything you've mentioned here.

The part where you referred to: "...and will provide emotionless, logical, unbiased solutions to our problems..." really gave me pause. Heck... the very NEWS sources that we used to trust and look up to can't even do that nor can they be trusted any longer. They are extremely biased and are doing their best to sway and pollute their viewers the same as the schools have been steadily indoctrinating our young people into thinking and believing what they're told to believe. Logical, emotionless, and unbiased hardly fit the current state of humanity so we can only hope that the ones designing this AGI/ASI, have at least a modicum of intellectual propriety!

I hope it arrives sooner than later.
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
  • First it wiggles, then it is rewarded.
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2020, 04:47:41 pm »
Imagine if an AGI brain can run 100 times faster? 1 year would be a 100 years to it. Our slow neural computation can run at the speed of light.

Once 80% of AGI is realized, the next 20% come fast.

Once AGI is made, it won't be human intelligence but better.

Emergent          https://openai.com/blog/

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2020, 06:40:17 pm »
We can only hope that it's better at fulfilling that final 20% compared to a lot of human contractors. They reach 90% completion in a couple of weeks, fairly quickly then it takes them an additional 3 months to finish that 20%!!

Funny how that works!!

Of course with an AGI, it shouldn't present any of those time-delayed issues but rather, forge ahead!!
Then it becomes an ASI and the world is its oyster (so-to-speak).

In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
  • First it wiggles, then it is rewarded.
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2020, 07:53:42 pm »
Ah, I'm seeing the whole picture now. Contractors take a long time to get a hold of and get to the job, as well take long to or are reluctant to finish the job. It's an S curve, the middle time is the most productive!
Emergent          https://openai.com/blog/

Dee

• Nomad
  • AI rocks!
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2020, 02:20:10 am »
Scenario 3. There IS a magic algorithm, and you can download it for free! Woohoo, it runs out of the box. What happens then? I can’t say anything, because we honestly don’t know. Is this “we don’t know” really a good news? I don’t think so. Do you?
Consciousness is just a philosophy concept, it shouldn't be complex. A robot acts (lives) by him/herself is automatically considered as having consciousness, I guess.

HS

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2020, 03:39:43 am »
I think it’s a more profound shift than the introduction of a new useful philosophical concept. Consciousness could be to cells, what cells are to "free" matter. The third incarnation of a self-sustaining bundle of interrelation, just recently having found purchase on the previous layer of complexity. Like cells, consciousness could eventually figure out how to spread to new environments. In the way that some cells moved from the water to land, some consciousness could migrate from humans, to computers, and who knows what else. It seems like a new self-sustaining process which was generated within the biological process, just like the biological process started up in the physical process. This one definitely seems like it should have the potential to develop ways of persisting beyond the constraints of biological life.

infurl

• Administrator
  • Eve
  • Humans will disappoint you.
    • Home Page
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2020, 04:22:59 am »
On the one hand, it is what it is. (I think it's a side effect.)

On the other hand, if we attempt to break it down, it could make it easier to extend the phenomenon of consciousness to other things in a way that would benefit us. (Side effects are useful clues that lead to a deeper understanding of the universe.)

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by MikeB (AI News )
March 31, 2024, 01:00:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

204 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 262. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles