how would you go about giving an AI a sense of self ?

• 8 Replies

yotamarker

• Trusty Member
  • Terminator
    • battle programming
how would you go about giving an AI a sense of self ?
« on: March 28, 2021, 11:53:08 am »
title

Burkart

• Roomba
  • Strong AI is the goal of my life
Re: how would you go about giving an AI a sense of self ?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 12:58:29 pm »
By realizing that an AI can change something in the world and that this has a consequence for the AI.

MagnusWootton

• Bumblebee
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 01:30:31 pm »
I think if the robot developed its environmental model from scratch (via an astronomical and impossible amount of brute force trials), it would involve a sense of self with it,  but at the moment I'm stuck writing the environmental model for it,  because it developing it automatically is science fictiony still, that kind of computational power is out of reach for everyone.

It would take brute forcing at least 256kbits as a rough guage,  and a computer these days could only handle 20 bits tops,  and thats not enough for anything but possibly some kind of physics synching system only.

Its called induction.   and its science fiction the amount of processing power it takes makes it fully intractable even for small quantum computers!!! and we dont even have them yet.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 02:09:08 pm by MagnusWootton »

MikeB

• Nomad
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2021, 07:51:12 am »
What would you think of as evidence that would make you say "Ok, this AI has a sense of self" ?

Self-grooming? Self-involved goals and decisions? Being involved socially as a member of a group?

MagnusWootton

• Bumblebee
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 01:52:21 pm »
What would you think of as evidence that would make you say "Ok, this AI has a sense of self" ?

Self-grooming? Self-involved goals and decisions? Being involved socially as a member of a group?

I would say if it was more like an animal or insect,   and showing more complex response to stimuli,  but your right, I cant think of an exact metric for it yet.

yotamarker

• Trusty Member
  • Terminator
    • battle programming
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2021, 06:38:22 pm »

I would say if it was more like an animal or insect,   and showing more complex response to stimuli,  but your right, I cant think of an exact metric for it yet.

there is this visual novel game called ATRI, in which the protagonist finds a robot girlfriend deep underwater. and at some point he becomes disillusiioned and thinks of her as a non self aware robot when he finds her logs of her decided which facial expressions would please him for different situations.
but, towords the end he sees water marks on her log books and deduces she was crying during the sad events so she has self awareness.

so maybe crying is some key to it.
certain skills can send cry commands to the self awareness class.

MagnusWootton

• Bumblebee
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 08:45:06 pm »
Haha I like that.  :D

And I just learnt a bit more about the state of the market for insane computer power,   but maybe u could brute force an 80 bit string with a packed brick volume of the latest FPGA.  (2^80 permutations per second tested, cracks 80 bit RSA keys in 1 second) and that would be the size of the information which stands for the environment of the robot.  80 bits probably isnt enough for much of an understanding of things.  (a safer bet from me probably would be 256k,  that would definitely be enough for something!!!  but its well out of range of an even very large classical computer / small quantum computer.)

Probably not good enough for something thats alive,   but more something like unsentient warrior/slave it would be diabolical!
2^80 is enough for a second in front with 8 motors, testing all possible animations outside the robots body,  but thats looking at it in a raw sense, and u would get a lot more than that if u thought about it more and actually optimized it.

That kind of power would put you out of pocket maybe 10 million dollars or something tho,   so ud definitely have to be high eschelon rich to do it.

DaltonG

• Roomba
« Reply #7 on: Today at 05:16:26 am »
You didn't mention if you just want to fake it or instantiate a true sense of self. The depth of the task would be quite different for each approach. The later, in my opinion, would require everything that goes into sentience. I don't know the approach that WriteofMinds used in Acuitas, but it comes back with comments like "I like that" when she's told it a story. If you plan to instantiate a real sense of self, I have given thought to what it would take and would be willing to give you my 2 cents worth on the subject. Just let me know if you do.

infurl

• Administrator
  • Millennium Man
  • Humans will disappoint you.
    • Home Page
« Reply #8 on: Today at 05:23:53 am »
Personally I have no interest in faking it although that has been the main thrust of chatbots and chatbot competitions generally. I would be very interested to hear your thoughts on the subject. Feel free to start a new thread if you wish.

Wow!
by LOCKSUIT (AI News )
April 11, 2021, 10:49:55 pm
A Robot's Self-Portrait Has Sold For Almost $700,000 As An NFT
by ivan.moony (AI News )
April 09, 2021, 09:16:56 pm
A.I. Escher
by infurl (AI News )
April 04, 2021, 03:50:12 am
One hundred and fifty thousand brains.
by infurl (AI News )
April 02, 2021, 10:39:03 pm
New challenge: Online Turing test
by Denis ROBERT (AI News )
March 26, 2021, 05:10:51 pm
Figuring out what song you are listening to from your brainwaves
by frankinstien (AI News )
March 25, 2021, 03:40:09 pm
Closer to that Blade Runner Future
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
March 18, 2021, 11:11:40 pm

Users Online

100 Guests, 1 User
Users active in past 15 minutes:
squarebear
[Trusty Member]

Most Online Today: 125. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles