Vestibulo–Ocular Reflex - a key to human intelligence.

• 10 Replies

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
  • First it wiggles, then it is rewarded.
    • Main Project Thread
Vestibulo–Ocular Reflex - a key to human intelligence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vestibulo%E2%80%93ocular_reflex

What that page doesn't say, however, is what took me 1.5 days in my big kitchen to solve.

Your eyes, really, REALLY, want to stay looking at where they are. Unless voluntarilly moved, they keep a 3D POINT in space.

Try it. Turn your head left and right, walk left and right, walk around the point. Go up to it and away from it. AND DO IT LOOKING THROUGH A WALL!

Your eyes's position, cross, and focus, are re-adjusted.

And the sneaky thing is this. Your 3D point is kept at a far away wall when you cross your eyes to a close view (a close 3D point on the line). So then it is using the visual difference it sees in the blurry background right? 50% right. When you don't recognize blur, it switches to using where the eyes's (or eye's) crossing lines's meet-up point or point on the line that you have "controlled" (that you wouldn't with 1 eye i.e. no crossed vision). PROOF - you can keep 3D point when looking through a giant ball or wall walking around it/left right.

When looking through a wall it keeps that far away 3D point it can't see by cross or "distance point", while when looking at a wall that's far away it also keeps that 3D point when cross eyes to a close point by saying hey don't make a 3D point at this close wall there ain't no close wall cus it's blurry so keep 3D point at the far away wall by uh I got it - visual difference!

Further, it happens when a visual difference like light or color moves, your eyes follow it smoothly yet again here.

Even further, don't look to your side, but look there without pointing eyes at it (sneaky yes you can check someone out), then walk forth - your "watching point" of the images or "CNN score on the images" is re-adjusted yet again.
Emergent          https://openai.com/blog/

Korrelan

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • Look into my eyes! WOAH!
    • YouTube
Re: Vestibulo–Ocular Reflex - a key to human intelligence.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 10:13:25 am »
Your eyes, really, REALLY, want to stay looking at where they are. Unless voluntarilly moved, they keep a 3D POINT in space.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saccade

Humans and many animals do not look at a scene in fixed steadiness; instead, the eyes move around, locating interesting parts of the scene and building up a mental, three-dimensional 'map' corresponding to the scene

:)
It thunk... therefore it is!...    /    Project Page    /    KorrTecx Website

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 02:17:59 pm »
Yes, when I am say, outside looking at a scene, my eyes are moving around involuntarily a lot of the time. Saccade is something I have tried to recreate with my avatar project so make the model look more natural.

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 09:26:08 pm »
Really guys, my eyes have never ever moved on their own, it's always my cortical voluntary actions I'm operating.

All you have to do is not do any actions. And then walk around. Your eyes keep a 3D point in space. Even if what you's said was true!

When you change where you look, it is neocortical, actions are being selected that just are'nt zero-action actions now. You can control it.

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 10:15:53 pm »
We're not saying we are never in control of our eyes - just that a lot of orientation is done without us thinking to do it.

Really guys, my eyes have never ever moved on their own, it's always my cortical voluntary actions I'm operating.

OK since you are different to the rest of humanity try this on for size instead then...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapid_eye_movement_sleep

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 10:47:47 pm »
Anyhow, did yous try my experiments? Your eyes keep a 3D point re-adjusting focus cross position.

Luckily it holds true no matter if anyone believes we look around or automatically look around.

Korrelan

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 11:15:45 pm »
If you stare/ focus on one point in space intentionally for an extended period of time then you will experience tunnel vision.  The ganglion output neurons from your retina (especially peripheral) require fast periodic rest. Change/ stimulation; if the input from the rods/ cones is kept constant then the ganglion output (optic nerve) cells cease to function correctly through loss of sensitivity. The human ocular system has evolved to react to change of scene or movement… this is believed to be one of the main reasons for the saccades.

Try that… sit still and stare at one point.

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 12:12:55 am »
Then my vision gets intenseity color when I do that....ewewewewew!!

Yes sacades, little guys, little moves. Those are different from voluntailly moving all the way from grandma to papa on the rocking chair. (big jumps/moves). I don't even notice sacade's moves.

My point is that when you walk around or around a fridge, you eyes keep a 3D point in space. Auto-re-adjusts focus, cross, and position.

Korrelan

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
    • YouTube
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 12:55:02 am »
My point is that when you walk around or around a fridge, you eyes keep a 3D point in space. Auto-re-adjusts focus, cross, and position.

Of course they do... we know this.

Your eyes follow a point of saliency… what is most relevant to your current action/ goal/ state of mind/ mental focus at the time.

If your foot hits a ridge in the floor, a wasp crosses your visual field, a sudden sound from your left… your focus of attention will shift; and your eyes will follow.

We understand what the eyes do… the hard bit is explaining HOW the brain achieves these functions.  An AGI design must also produce an equivalent ocular schema.

If you want t make statement you have to describe the mechanisms of HOW the brain achieves these feats.

kei10

• It's a honor to meet everyone!
  • Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
  • Just kidding.
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 02:06:33 am »
Aka Feynman Technique.
Greetings, signature.

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 04:57:12 am »
Korrelan I think you're not getting it.

Looking at the sound, looking at the wasp, looking at interest, yes.

But when you walk circular around a fridge in your kitchen keeping your body facing the fridge, and don't move your eyes ever, they are "left behind", they keep auto-re-adjusting focus / cross / postion smoothly so your eyes always point at the 3D-point in-the-fridge.

AI controlled F-16, for real!
by frankinstien (AI News )
May 04, 2024, 01:04:11 am
OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by MikeB (AI News )
March 31, 2024, 01:00:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am

Users Online

351 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 352. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles