Illusion of free will and the roadmap to AI

• 11 Replies

raegoen

• Roomba
Illusion of free will and the roadmap to AI
« on: January 31, 2018, 10:33:43 pm »
Hey guys :) I read a very interesting article a while back and it found it's way back to my thoughts recently, so I thought I would post it here and see what you guys think about it. To start here is the link:
http://awarenessact.com/new-scientific-theory-suggests-we-have-no-control-over-our-thoughts-and-emotionss/

It talks about how consciousness is only the awareness of what goes on in our subconscious, and that we don't actually have any control over the subconscious processes that drive our behaviour and actions. I think this is a pretty natural conclusion when you stop and think about how animals behave, sure they lack a sizeable cortex to do any "deep" thinking therefore their actions are just the product of some processing inside their brains, but I think humans are very much the same way. There is no inherent third person control you have over yourself; self control, free will, these are all built in circuits in your brain that act to change the wiring, "you" don't have any control per-say, through consciousness you become aware of what these circuits in the subconscious have come up with.

I think this way of approaching consciousness is very constructive when it comes to AI, it made me realize that consciousness emerges when the brain abstracts sensory input enough to represent real world objects and ideas, in other words it is a layer in the processing hierarchy of the brain, we are one of the few conscious animals because our brains are big and dense enough to allow for the processing to reach this abstraction level. In theory AI could be built to utilize abstracted modules such as object recognition, etc etc which already exist, and feed this environmental state information into some central processing "conscious" module which acts to integrate the real world representations of data (again we're not conscious of how our eyes communicate with our brain and process information, we become aware of the byproduct which is understanding of our surroundings, and that's what we act on).

Anyways that's it for my little rant, I'd be very curious to read what others think about this :)

keghn

• Trusty Member
  • Terminator
Re: Illusion of free will and the roadmap to AI
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 12:58:03 am »

For me, this is my own theory being spoken by somebody else. And then calling it theirs.

raegoen

• Roomba
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 05:10:02 am »
Hey keghn, sorry if I insulted you somehow, but more than one person can have the same idea/theory on a topic right O0

keghn

• Trusty Member
  • Terminator
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 06:28:07 am »

I do not kill messengers. I am glad been made aware of it.

keghn

• Trusty Member
  • Terminator
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 02:26:13 pm »
 Look, Someone else with same theory as mine. What are the chanches of that? 

Joscha Bach - From Computation to Consciousness: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da-9zPgxWBY&feature=youtu.be

Korrelan

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • Look into my eyes! WOAH!
    • YouTube
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 05:37:44 pm »
Hmmm...

7.5 billion people on earth atm... also got to consider dead neuroscientists white papers...

Perhaps 10 to 20 relevant theories... (or just the correct one... mine... hehe)

OMG... they stole your idea... lol

:)

Everyone has a theory as you know,,, the winner is the one who actually recreates human + level intelligence. Sod patents, other theories, who thought of what first... who owns the rights to whatever... does it work... if it does...  :D

:)
It thunk... therefore it is!...    /    Project Page    /    KorrTecx Website

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 03:25:49 pm »
Ideas are much like Birthdays. There are many of them held by many people at nearly the same time.

How many people are born on the same day? - A Lot!
How many people that are born on the same day are born at the same time? - Still a surprising amount!

Is there anything that might be original, unique, first? - The one who not only has it but acts upon it (does something with it).

Even though we think our idea is outstanding and individualized, it is most likely not the case.

============= NOW =============
Back to the topic,
Is Freewill an Illusion or are we really free to choose / make our own destiny?
Is the roadmap to AI the ultimate path to our own eventual undoing? :-\
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

ivan.moony

• Trusty Member
  • Bishop
    • mind-child
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 03:56:10 pm »
What if in the future we invent how to create artificial life, and we also invent a time machine, just to go back in the past when the Earth was not inhabited, to spark our fork of earthling life that grows back into us, humans? If you ask me, that would be a definition of a free will.

keghn

• Trusty Member
  • Terminator
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 04:39:57 pm »
 Will, it look like Joscha hit the AI wall little more than a year ago. Then jump onto to my work.
 Good chance he he got the info here.

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 03:58:01 pm »
What if in the future we invent how to create artificial life, and we also invent a time machine, just to go back in the past when the Earth was not inhabited, to spark our fork of earthling life that grows back into us, humans? If you ask me, that would be a definition of a free will.

Wasn't the very fact that you thought of this and posted it also an example of Free Will? (unless you were told what to type and forced to do so). ;)
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

keghn

• Trusty Member
  • Terminator
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 04:22:33 pm »

ranch vermin

• Not much time left.
  • Terminator
  • Its nearly time!
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 04:46:39 pm »

For me, this is my own theory being spoken by somebody else. And then calling it theirs.

Keghn im afraid the roadmap to making the ai happen is pretty common for people to come up with independantly.  its just a coincidence,   its just life sucks,  like tic tok the little ball man robot from return to oz said,  im not alive, and im glad im not,  because it sucks caring about things when they are illusionary futilities.

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
Today at 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

321 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 343. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles