misconception

• 11 Replies

MagnusWootton

• Replicant
misconception
« on: June 15, 2021, 08:27:42 am »
You know how people say its ok to operate on chimpanzees, because it enables us huge advances in helping humans?

Thats the same thing as developing a "medical model" of an anatomy of an animal, by mangling 1 million to get the model which you heal the type of animal with afterwards.

If I can save a billion of the cats,  it actually makes sense that it added up to more being healed.
Are u sure this is making sense?

And theres many more of this,  like its ok to test chemicals on animals... animal testing,  is a product of stupidity.

What if some later advancement meant you could do it in "10"   is it worth it now?

But what if I can get a similar but not quite as good (hidden) model, if the animal is already dead.  (And I made it should had a good life before it dropped off.)    Does that mean I get fresh human corpses, and build the model off of them?    That seems "half ok"  even,  but its such a decrepid thing to do to people.  and what if idiots are lining up to give away their corpses to do it!

What do you do then????     

yotamarker

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
  • battle programmer
    • battle programming
Re: misconception
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 10:21:24 am »
why do people always try to apply this logic to numbers ?
like if you sacrifice x ppl to save n*x lives.

1 of the ppl could be a tesla and the nx lives could be looters for example.

IG corpses and animals don't matter as much because they cant fight back. for argument sake, I have read fruits feel pain when they are peeled.

in a perfect world, no one would get sacrificed, including animals, but in reality it's more like how much ppl can get away with.

MagnusWootton

• Replicant
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 10:45:04 am »
Is it a little disturbing to have some punishments for crimes 'DONATION FOR RANDOM EXPERIMENTS FOR THE GOOD OF MANKIND'.
Sounds like something out of the script of robo-cop.

Its funny tho,  the mental institution trials anti-psychotics they know very little about (i mean both the effect of the medication and the people) on anyone they can get their hands on to label insane.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 01:39:02 pm by MagnusWootton »

8pla.net

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • TV News. Pub. UAL (PhD). Robitron Mod. LPC Judge.
    • 8pla.net
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 03:53:11 pm »
Reality is stranger than fiction.
My Very Enormous Monster Just Stopped Using Nine

HS

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 04:17:55 pm »
I think just avoid pain, mental trauma, and respect people's wishes about what's done with their corpses. If they do their best to avoid creating negative experience, plus add a little grace, that's good enough. Same principle as ethical farming really, it's possible to do it right.

ivan.moony

• Trusty Member
  • Bishop
    • mind-child
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2021, 10:15:41 pm »
On 10 June 2021, the European Parliament urged the European Commission to make cages for farmed animals illegal across the European Union by 2027, adopting a resolution on the ‘End the Cage Age‘ European Citizens’ Initiative. link

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
  • First it wiggles, then it is rewarded.
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2021, 01:30:12 am »
On 10 June 2021, the European Parliament urged the European Commission to make cages for farmed animals illegal across the European Union by 2027, adopting a resolution on the %u2018End the Cage Age%u2018 European Citizens%u2019 Initiative. link

Idk bro.......the damage is already done....

@OP, well, the end goal of evolution is immortality / an indescribable planet that grows. All experiments/ decisions lead up to it.
Emergent          https://openai.com/blog/

MagnusWootton

• Replicant
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2021, 01:44:02 pm »
@OP, well, the end goal of evolution is immortality / an indescribable planet that grows. All experiments/ decisions lead up to it.

So we are the end goal of evolution then?     Its only if u can get there before you die.

infurl

• Administrator
  • Eve
  • Humans will disappoint you.
    • Home Page
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2021, 01:08:40 am »
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/jun/17/ageing-process-is-irreversible-finds-unprecedented-study

Immortality and everlasting youth are the stuff of myths, according to new research which may finally end the eternal debate about whether we can live for ever.

Over the past hundred years the average lifespan of human beings has increased dramatically and that has led some selfish idiots to think they will be able to live forever. It's an illusion because the increase is due to fewer people dying young. Nobody is living for longer than people were able to live previously and short of a total overhaul of the human genome, immortality is not going to happen. Either way, if you're alive now and you're not a worm or a jellyfish, you're going to die.

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
  • First it wiggles, then it is rewarded.
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2021, 05:59:02 am »
We invented surgeries and artificial organs, AI, Cryonics, etc. As shown on openAI.com, AGIs are going to become a reality, and they won't die ever because they can repair themselves, they will be on the lookout for meteors etc though. They'll quickly upgrade themselves, but in a way that they feel is not bad 'change' (death). Isn't there at least some hope and proof we can fix ourselves? Why be so hateful to striving to live. We are born wanting life. And still most humans, although appear to not follow god as they say, all stand for eternal life.
Emergent          https://openai.com/blog/

MagnusWootton

• Replicant
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2021, 07:15:34 am »
We might die,  But if there ever was an A.G.I.,   if he had the right kinds of security and given its own rights, it would be immortal, as a machine.

HS

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2021, 10:35:19 pm »
@LOCKSUIT

I don't really understand the fear of death. But the desire to create a worthwhile life that's as long as possible, is something I can agree with. We can do it!

Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by MikeB (AI News )
March 15, 2024, 08:14:02 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

321 Guests, 1 User
Users active in past 15 minutes:
squarebear
[Trusty Member]

Most Online Today: 335. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles