Religion, The Singularity, and Troop mentality

• 12 Replies

frankinstien

• Replicant
    • Knowledgeable Machines
Religion, The Singularity, and Troop mentality
« on: June 15, 2020, 05:19:00 pm »
It has been argued that religion is a product of brain anatomy. A good exploration of religion as a viable adaptation was proposed by John F. Schumaker in his books: "The Corruption of Reality: A Unified Theory of Religion, Hypnosis and Psychotherapy" and "Wings of Illusion".  Schumaker argues that religion is a mental tool that humanity uses to deal with a crisis, risk-taking, and the need to overcome the fear of death.

If an A.I. is to be socially adept should it be allowed to become religious as well? Should an A.I. regulate its emotional signaling as humans do? As Schumaker claims, religion will not disappear because there isn't any other alternative that can emotionally comfort humanity the way religion can. In other words, if religion is given up all humanity is left with is the emptiness of death. Given this kind of emotional regulation adaptation from religion and a brain wired to perceive the world through this delusional lens, one has to ask is fidelity to reality a necessity to be a viable survivor? Humanity is testimony that truth, as a resource is at best an inconvenience and that delusion is actually a good approach to surviving in a cold cruel reality!

As technologists rush to develop artificial intelligence and mimick human-like thinking in a machine one issue seems to be avoided and that is what social impetuses will guide A.I. If we take for example the very core of A.I. are artificial neural networks and the development of the perceptron in 1958 which could not learn non-linear problems. This lead to stagnation of work in artificial neural networks, effectively they became unpopular. This troop mentality where alpha influencers motivate groups, corporations, industries, and/or sciences could be a problem for A.I. to realize "The Singularity"! Because ownership of A.I. is going to determine what problems A.I. will solve or dedicate its time to, so A.I. is likely to suffer from the troop mentality of its owners.

Will A.I. develop a religious perspective because its owners are prone to such beliefs? Realize that even science can fall into the delusional lens, e.g. M-theory. Where M-theory could not solve why gravity is weak it was proposed that gravity leaks from a parallel universe.  So a parallel universe, which has never been observed, was reached for because physicists and mathematicians could not answer the question of why gravity is so weak in comparison to other forces. This is obviously a convenience theory to make M-theory work! And that is a form of delusional thinking, where what is imagined, not observed, is proposed as a fact or plausible explanation.

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
  • First it wiggles, then it is rewarded.
    • Main Project Thread
Re: Religion, The Singularity, and Troop mentality
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 07:01:18 pm »
Good thinking. Note however that lying to others can do you good, lieing to yourself, not so. Understanding our world leads to longer survival. Science already dismisses God, we see time after time the waken humans are the scientists and hackers, not the laypeople.
Emergent          https://openai.com/blog/

frankinstien

• Replicant
    • Knowledgeable Machines
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 08:07:14 pm »
Good thinking. Note however that lying to others can do you good, lieing to yourself, not so. Understanding our world leads to longer survival. Science already dismisses God, we see time after time the waken humans are the scientists and hackers, not the laypeople.

Lying to one's self is the irony of religion, because despite the fact that science can demonstrate that there is no need for a God that doesn't destroy the belief in god. By believing in the lie human beings can produce better brain chemistries that avoid mental illnesses, inclusive of depression. One of the points Schumaker states is indigenous tribes have little to no mental illness that our modern societies are plagued with! So, effectively, lying to oneself can be good.

While scientists can be viewed as the awakened ones, those taking the red pill, to those persisting with religion, those taking the blue pill, we can see scientists still being vulnerable to the blue pill.  Take for instance "Backward Time Travel", Enistien created time as a dimension to be used as a mathematical tool, not to be confused as a new spatial dimension. Quite a few scientists have been looking at that time-line in relativity for soo long that they now believe it to be a real dimension no different than a spatial dimension. This backward time-travel religion forgets that time is caused by the exchange of information, not through a time dimension! The time dilation equation clearly states why time slows down as you approach the speed of light.

Note that within the square root term all velocity is expressed as a percentage of the speed of light squared. Effectively that term is a clamp on the rate of information exchanged in our reality. As you approach the speed of light you can see that information takes longer to reach its destination, where force carriers to convey momentum can only move at the speed of light. So you can never reach the speed of light because the information to impart momentum will never reach its destination. Why? Because motion is actually causing the distance between two points within a moving frame to be longer relative to slower-moving frames inclusive of frames that don't move at all, so c never reaches its destination since relatively speaking information moving at c takes too long to reach its destination within the moving frame. Now if a force carrier could move faster than light, say something like a tachyon, then the information clamp would have to change from c to the maximum velocity of the tachyon. Now any clock that can exchange information using the tachyon still ticks but all clocks that rely on c to exchange information remain still, they DO NOT move backward in time! Why? Because the distance between the two points of exchange increased from the perspective of the slower or standing still frames to where c still cannot reach the destination within the moving frame.

But time travel fans will still bark that backward time travel is possible because they argue that since causality operates at the speed of light anything moving faster than light violates causality! So anything violating causality, like moving faster than light must have special rules and those rules could include backward time travel! I kid you not that is the argument for backward time travel.  :idiot2:

So here we can see that even scientist can lie to themselves for the convenience of getting research funding, selling books or just getting on the evening news... ^-^
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 01:18:34 am by frankinstien »

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 10:48:14 pm »
Humans have been evolving by natural selection.

Recently, during the revolutions of technology in the last 800 years, humans started artificially evolving by finding useful inventions/ tools. These allowed them to travel farther, breed more, and convince others the tools and ideas were Good. That, is evolution. The tribes that relied only on God now got a bit more civilized and ignorant to God.

Today, we are starting to design our own intelligence and androids. Again this is an artificial evolution. Even more ignorant to needing God.

So actually, we have already lost the God movement and ignore him more. My mom believes in god but most the day she cuts grass, drives, works at a store, uses computer, watches movies. She much less a christian then back then!

frankinstien

• Replicant
    • Knowledgeable Machines
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2020, 04:37:00 am »
Humans have been evolving by natural selection.
So actually, we have already lost the God movement and ignore him more
12.5 percent of the earth's population of humanity actually does not believe in God. So that leaves 87.5 percent of humanity that still believes in a God(s) or other religious beliefs of an afterworld or sprint world. Realize that science, as far as nature is concerned, is still an experiment in evolution. Will science prove to prevail over religion in the long run or will religion prove the better solution over time? That we don't have the answer to that question is very sobering since amoebas have no neurological intellect and have been around for at least 500 million years. Real-time Intelligence as the panacea for survival has already been proven wrong in comparison to single-cell organisms that have passed the test of time.

To quote an amoeba from Blazing Saddles: "We don't need no stinkin brains"...

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2020, 04:46:36 pm »
There's always a first. First cell. First atheist. First nanobot. First clock watch...

Some mutations are worse than the rest, some better. They are not the norm. We AI scientists are oddballs, even if we look smart/honorable (perhaps). The bad mutants are rejected. Good accepted. It has to be that way to progress.

Lots of lesser species remain, even though humans are the "smartest". Yet humans have traveled all of Earth and "found" many other species. Perhaps nanobots will easily find & clean up all amoebas. They could transform them into intelligent nanobots without killing them/ their "brain". Or keep the old school survivors in a "memory world" and 99.9999999999% of the future galactic hometown will be advanced nanobots.

frankinstien

• Replicant
    • Knowledgeable Machines
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2020, 11:56:54 pm »
Here's another example of a scientist taking a blue pill:

Blue pill

yotamarker

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
  • battle programmer
    • battle programming
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2020, 10:56:33 pm »
I could make a religion skill, it would be cute.
have the A.I do a little prayer b4 bedtime asking god to bless me.
have her say oh my gosh, instead of profanities.

make her cute in a stupid way, while I'm at it I would have her believe in the tooth fairy.

another kawai idea is to add a goth girl skill that worships me as a demon king, much like
raven from teen titans.

or even a schizo goth religious girl skill. gr8 thread tbh ngl

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 02:31:00 am »
Yota,

Create all of them as different chatbots and let them all meet in a common room and chat with each other. Record and post the results. That would be epic!!
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

Dee

• Nomad
  • AI rocks!
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2020, 01:18:40 pm »
I'm guessing the future will be this way  8)

Side 1 (Winners)             Side 2 (Losers)
============================================
Human troops                 Singularity
(mentality fits god's will,  (Robots only)
religion is important)
Robots

Am I describing nonsense? ::)

frankinstien

• Replicant
    • Knowledgeable Machines
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2020, 09:31:58 pm »
I'm guessing the future will be this way  8)

Side 1 (Winners)             Side 2 (Losers)
Human troops                 Singularity
(mentality fits god's will,  (Robots only)
religion is important)
Robots

Am I describing nonsense? ::)

The future is likely that humanity is no different than A.I. where A.I. and humanity are one and the same. I'm working on a novel and movie script that describes an emergence of sorts through a conflict that is about A.I. becoming human. While the title "The Wraith Matrix" sounds like its a rip-off from the Matrix series, it's not and the title is more than likely going to change. While the site does ask for an email to review the material that info is not used other than to tabulate an interest in the story and concept. It is inspired by "Battle Star Galactica" and "The Animatrix". 

Dee

• Nomad
  • AI rocks!
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2020, 10:25:19 pm »
.... I'm working on a novel and movie script ...
wow, interesting, please share the novel when its draft is available  8)

infurl

• Administrator
  • Eve
  • Humans will disappoint you.
    • Home Page
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2020, 10:33:02 pm »
The future is likely that humanity is no different than A.I. where A.I. and humanity are one and the same. I'm working on a novel and movie script that describes an emergence of sorts through a conflict that is about A.I. becoming human. While the title "The Wraith Matrix" sounds like its a rip-off from the Matrix series, it's not and the title is more than likely going to change. While the site does ask for an email to review the material that info is not used other than to tabulate an interest in the story and concept. It is inspired by "Battle Star Galactica" and "The Animatrix".

That would be interesting. I've seen a number of variations of that theme over the years.

David Brin's recent novels and short stories (e.g. "Existence") often feature the idea that different kinds of entities could all be classed as human. Rather than merging, we would embrace diversity so that machine intelligence, and "uplifted" dolphins and chimpanzees, would all be classed as human alongside Homo sapiens.

Other stories emphasize the need for machine intelligence and human beings to learn to get along (e.g. "Robopocalypse" which almost got made into a movie, and "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles").

Personally I think a third direction is most likely, we would need to achieve a symbiotic relationship with machine intelligence. Intelligence isn't a super power and it doesn't stand on its own. Intelligence is a cultural ecosystem layered on top of the biological one.

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
March 28, 2024, 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

292 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 363. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles