• 13 Replies

yotamarker

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
  • battle programmer
    • battle programming
the parry chatbot
« on: January 22, 2021, 08:18:55 am »
I cant find it's algorithm. anyone has it ? I want to take a look.

infurl

• Administrator
  • Eve
  • Humans will disappoint you.
    • Home Page
Re: the parry chatbot
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 08:25:30 am »
With just a little bit of Googling I found the source code for Parry online.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/ai-repository/ai/areas/classics/parry/

It's written in an old dialect of LISP. Maybe someone has updated it like they have for Shrdlu. There is also a Parry clone on the Bot Libre website although I didn't try it out.

yotamarker

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
  • battle programmer
    • battle programming
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 02:47:29 pm »
With just a little bit of Googling I found the source code for Parry online.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/ai-repository/ai/areas/classics/parry/

It's written in an old dialect of LISP. Maybe someone has updated it like they have for Shrdlu. There is also a Parry clone on the Bot Libre website although I didn't try it out.

I have no idea how to read that. some pseudocode or the actual code lines would have helped. ideally in java.

infurl

• Administrator
  • Eve
    • Home Page
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 12:49:08 am »
I have no idea how to read that. some pseudocode or the actual code lines would have helped. ideally in java.

More people would be inclined to help you if you didn't seem so rude and lazy. The only reason I bothered was because I was curious about it myself. I can easily figure out how it works from the available resources, but I won't be sharing what I learn with you because you're such a sociopathic jerk.

HS

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 02:44:19 am »
It’s often tough to tell if certain behaviors or patterns of behavior are a person’s fault or not. My assumptions may be incorrect, but for a lack of better options, it may be helpful for you @Lock and @yotamarker to check with a medical professional, if https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7527484/ could provide some benefits.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 03:30:58 am by HS »

infurl

• Administrator
  • Eve
    • Home Page
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2021, 02:58:37 am »
It’s often tough to tell if certain behaviors or patterns of behavior are a person’s fault or not.

That's very true and for that reason the people you mention continue to be granted the benefit of the doubt. There is more to it than mere tolerance though. Most people do care about people who have problems like that and try to help them. I know I certainly do, but the more subtle and tactful approaches that I have tried in the past were usually rebuffed. Sometimes you have to be very blunt to get a message across and it's still a longshot that is more likely to fail.

My assumptions may be incorrect, but for a lack of better options, this may be helpful to you @Lock and @yotamarker:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7527484/

Now I should point out that prescribing a specific remedy when you can't even be sure of the problem is actually rather irresponsible and can get you into trouble. I believe that if you really feel that intervention is required then the most you can safely do is recommend that someone seek professional help.

HS

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2021, 03:36:09 am »
Fair enough, how about this edit?

yotamarker

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
  • battle programmer
    • battle programming
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2021, 06:54:49 am »

More people would be inclined to help you if you didn't seem so rude and lazy. The only reason I bothered was because I was curious about it myself. I can easily figure out how it works from the available resources, but I won't be sharing what I learn with you because you're such a sociopathic jerk.

I suffer from schizophrenia and I really do try to be polite. not fair that I get punished for my other personalities rudeness. at any rate now you made me want that alg even more ngl tbh

infurl

• Administrator
  • Eve
    • Home Page
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2021, 07:01:47 am »
I'm suffer from schizophrenia and I really do try to be polite. not fair that I get punished for my other personalities rudeness. at any rate now you made me want that alg even more ngl tbh

Rest assured you are not being punished, we are trying to figure out how to help you, and I don't just mean with your programming projects. The problem (from my point of view) is that you don't seem to recognize when someone is trying to help you. It is normal to make mistakes when dealing with other people because of the sheer number of differences we all have. There is a protocol for correcting those mistakes that most people learn early on but you don't seem to be aware of it. I am asking you to help us help you, I can't be plainer than that.

infurl

• Administrator
  • Eve
    • Home Page
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2021, 07:14:14 am »
Regarding the Parry algorithm, it is written in an obsolete dialect of lisp called MLISP, supplemented with some PDP-8 assembly language. I do have a lot of professional experience programming with Common Lisp and I expect I will be able to understand enough to make sense of it if and when I get time to look at it. Coincidentally I also learned some PDP-8 and PDP-10 assembly programming at university, but I don't really expect it would be useful to work through those parts of the program, they are probably very low level.

Part of being a good programmer means being ready and able to learn new skills quickly and often. I do highly recommend that you gain some familiarity with Common Lisp. It is still the most powerful and productive programming environment there is. You mentioned some familiarity with Java but what you might not know is that Java was conceived as a greatly simplified dialect of lisp with a C like syntax bolted on to make it more appealing to business types (suits), so it might not be as foreign to you as you might think. In fact, Lisp and Java are so similar that they can be compiled to the same byte code and run on the same virtual machine.

yotamarker

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
  • battle programmer
    • battle programming
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2021, 07:19:46 am »
if I understand correctly lisp is an old programming language ?
also if I could somehow find some examples of parry chat logs I might fish something useful.

thanks for your help pal !

yotamarker

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
  • battle programmer
    • battle programming
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2021, 07:20:24 am »
I hope I phrased that polite tbh ngl

infurl

• Administrator
  • Eve
    • Home Page
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2021, 07:22:58 am »
I hope I phrased that polite tbh ngl
Yes, much better thanks. I had to look up NGL (not gonna lie) although I already knew TBH (to be honest). Depending on who you are talking to "pal" can seem overly familiar and condescending, but I'm taking it in the spirit which I am sure you intended it.

infurl

• Administrator
  • Eve
    • Home Page
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2021, 07:47:12 am »
if I understand correctly lisp is an old programming language ?
also if I could somehow find some examples of parry chat logs I might fish something useful.

Lisp was invented even before there were computers to run it on. It was derived from a mathematical theory called Lambda Calculus and is the highest level programming language conceivable. It is still a new programming language in the sense that the best minds in computing have devoted an enormous effort to updating it and refining it for more than 70 years and continue to do so.

There was a time when its use was reserved for the most advanced projects on the most powerful computers and that's probably why it is not more widespread now. Nevertheless, there are a number of open source implementations to choose from and it will run on anything; compiler technology has advanced so much that Common Lisp programs can be compiled to binaries that run as efficiently as those of any other language.

If you want to read an actual chat log for Parry, you could try this. Again, I found it easily with Google.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc439

Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by MikeB (AI News )
March 15, 2024, 08:14:02 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

246 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 320. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles