what is the spark that would make a user feel not alone ?

• 23 Replies

WriterOfMinds

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • WriterOfMinds Blog
Re: what is the spark that would make a user feel not alone ?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2021, 01:05:09 am »
I would say that it is impossible to *always* know what something is experiencing by watching what it does. Sometimes it would be possible, sometimes it would be difficult, and sometimes it would not be possible.

Depends on how strict you are about the definition of "know." IMO it is not possible for me to know anything about your experiences with absolute certainty, because I cannot directly observe them. All I can do is observe your behavior, and hope that it has the same relationship to your experiences that my behavior has to my experiences. But it might not! In other words, I make analogies, because it's the best I can do, but I have no means by which to confirm their validity.

I know that I am conscious; I make a reasonable, but ultimately unprovable, assumption that others are.

MagnusWootton

• Replicant
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2021, 04:20:02 am »
Maybe make a 12 step program for the person to go out of his house and talk to random people.

infurl

• Administrator
  • Eve
  • Humans will disappoint you.
    • Home Page
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2021, 04:36:38 am »
Maybe make a 12 step program for the person to go out of his house and talk to random people.

That is the best point that anyone has made on this topic. It should be qualified with "talk to random people without creeping them out or trying to use them" because I've heard of programs that don't recognize the need for change in the lonely people they are purporting to help.

yotamarker

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
  • battle programmer
    • battle programming
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2021, 07:18:57 am »
by replicate I meant help achieve 1 of the main 9 objectives (eat, get attention, play ...)

MikeB

• Autobot
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2021, 10:02:56 am »

I'd ignore a random person that tried to talk to me. They're mixing up family-friend-stranger-enemy and should have them defined better...

And what makes you feel alone in the first place is actually not feeling part of a family/tribe, or a valid member, or the members just claim they love you no matter what then ignore you and treat you like a mixed stranger-enemy or distant friend. Many people imagine they're friends with the people in their favorite TV show only, then just "put up with" the real people around them.

And the war attitude that's everywhere will have you picking drama fights with the people around you for fun, and then you don't feel like part of a tribe/family anymore. We're actually social creatures.

MagnusWootton

• Replicant
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2021, 10:35:07 am »
The only way to make a friend, is to first not know them from a bar of soap.   O0

Zero

• Eve
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2021, 10:02:28 pm »
Hi friends  :)  little late to the party...

I think you're all wrong about this spark thing. It does exist, but it's not life, not the whole person, and not even empathy. It's simpler than that. Think about it: dogs have it, right? but dogs aren't whole persons, they don't feel sad because your dad is dead, and they're not more alive than... ants or trees.

Eyes.

That's the spark, the little thing that makes it real. Dogs have it. They look at you, and then you don't feel alone anymore. But it doesn't have to be a biological eye. Remember HAL in 2001? A webcam works perfectly fine, as long as you can feel that there's "somebody"  behind.

So, you want your Ai to feel real? Make it so it can *really* look at you deliberately.

yotamarker

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
  • battle programmer
    • battle programming
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2021, 10:23:30 pm »
Hi friends  :)  little late to the party...

I think you're all wrong about this spark thing. It does exist, but it's not life, not the whole person, and not even empathy. It's simpler than that. Think about it: dogs have it, right? but dogs aren't whole persons, they don't feel sad because your dad is dead, and they're not more alive than... ants or trees.

Eyes.

That's the spark, the little thing that makes it real. Dogs have it. They look at you, and then you don't feel alone anymore. But it doesn't have to be a biological eye. Remember HAL in 2001? A webcam works perfectly fine, as long as you can feel that there's "somebody"  behind.

So, you want your Ai to feel real? Make it so it can *really* look at you deliberately.

briliant tbh ngl tbph tbqh tbf

MagnusWootton

• Replicant
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2021, 04:00:44 am »
Your just going to have to realize, without some form of complex behaviour, its just not alive.
Bees and insects make better friends than chat bots -  why?  because they are highly complex organisms,  thats the attachment quality I think.
Even if it doesn't talk, a little preying mantis is good company because hes a complex creature, something to be proud of.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 05:11:13 am by MagnusWootton »

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
Today at 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

286 Guests, 1 User
Users active in past 15 minutes:
8pla.net
[Trusty Member]

Most Online Today: 335. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles