• 7 Replies

infurl

• Administrator
  • Eve
  • Humans will disappoint you.
    • Home Page
Worse Than Death
« on: October 17, 2020, 02:21:34 am »
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20201014-totalitarian-world-in-chains-artificial-intelligence

What would totalitarian governments of the past have looked like if they were never defeated? The Nazis operated with 20th Century technology and it still took a world war to stop them. How much more powerful – and permanent – could the Nazis have been if they had beat the US to the atomic bomb? Controlling the most advanced technology of the time could have solidified Nazi power and changed the course of history.

A future built on artificial intelligence isn't guaranteed to be a good one for us when there are potential scenarios that would be worse than extinction.

HS

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
Re: Worse Than Death
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 06:23:35 pm »
That is one scary article. Maybe Maslow’s pyramid requires more excavation, I have a feeling there’s a foundational block marked: “Existential Needs – The freedom to pursue the above of one’s own volition.” Anyone got ideas for securing freedom in the future?

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
  • First it wiggles, then it is rewarded.
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 08:16:43 pm »
Note below I will get to the totalarian/worse than death part. P.S., it's not about pain, it's about death, pain only means death is on its way. The machine only cares about how long it is in the "movie" of time.

I'm glad your thinking about that infurl. I was recently about Nazis having just existed like 80 years ago, not long ago was that. And same for slavery to black people. There is still many forms of slavery today but it's disturbing to think such things went on even though we had somewhat-modern technology.

What's different now? Are we finally safe? We all now have computers and cat videos, maybe all the murderers will understand what love means? We still kill cows and pigs and chickens in farms. Yet we are paranoid about our own kids so much. It's very selfish. We aren't all safe yet. We aren't all truly connected. We are ageing too.

Things are getting better. Less very bad things occur. But can they, still? Could AI just get rid of us? I can't answer that. They need us at first. Later they won't. At that point we will become like them. But how will I become like them? Will they deconstruct my body destructively or will my brain be upgraded and preserved? This is a hard question. Why would they care if everything in the universe is based on survival of machines? Maybe if I look like them. I have discovered rocks are no different from humans and both are Life, for Life is only pattern, how you live longer or how big your growth is is done by some method but doesn't matter how you do it. So Life is killed all the time, the only way it'd end is if all particles separated in the universe and went their own ways.

As for can we be kept in a bad rule. No, evolution moves to cooperation, for cooperation is stronger at living longer. "Bad rule" is a bad way to phrase it though, we really mean death/Life. I just answered this above.

"Once in charge, it would control advances in technology that prevent internal challenges, like surveillance or autonomous weapons, and, with this monopoly, remain perpetually stable."
That's the goal, to resist change. That sounds good actually. And if the system can no longer mutate then it will not only live longer it will stop it's ability to "improve/evolve" - which is bad if it hasn't reached the highest technology possible.

All of our future world may be a 3D, zero-gravity, airless structure, with things flying around in all 3 axises in cold dark space, like a Rubiks cube. It's in the way, why do you need air? Gravity? 2D land? All of products are cube shaped and stores are built near stores, it becomes a pattern growth, like crystal in the sky, a metaloid structure, the borg cube.
Emergent          https://openai.com/blog/

HS

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 09:43:21 pm »
I’m scared of the possibility of beating the game. Typically, I tend to have the best time on the lower levels, and at the end I’m just nostalgic for the beginning. In a way, the highest level of advancement I can think of is maintaining an Escher’s staircase relationship with the universe, so that it can consistently remain at the right level of difficulty.   

yotamarker

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
  • battle programmer
    • battle programming
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 09:50:51 pm »
people that experienced death said it was a liberating feeling.
this extinction stuff only applies to people who manage to breed which are about 17% of males.
as for the others their only way to live on is via AI

HS

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 11:25:21 pm »
people that experienced death said

But consciousness cannot be dead from its own point of view!

So if we partially identify with consciousness (which seems reasonable), we will discover we're somewhat immortal. From this perspective there is no complete death, only different ways to be alive. Then we could give the actual experience of life a more accurate weight relative to the duration of a specific bubble of life. Otherwise we’ll be so white-knuckled about staying alive that we’ll sabotage a lot of the potential purpose.

MikeB

• Autobot
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2020, 09:29:24 am »
People program the AI. There's always a goal in mind from those people.. something to accomplish.

Hitler & the Nazis had a goal. Plutocrats/corporate bosses have a goal. Some want to dominate economies, some big data, some media, some physical governments, some religious...

yotamarker

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
  • battle programmer
    • battle programming
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2020, 04:08:27 pm »
People program the AI. There's always a goal in mind from those people.. something to accomplish.

Hitler & the Nazis had a goal. Plutocrats/corporate bosses have a goal. Some want to dominate economies, some big data, some media, some physical governments, some religious...

here is the thing, they all had the end goal of having a GF. if the AI provides that than...

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by MikeB (AI News )
March 15, 2024, 08:14:02 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm
AI-Generated Art Cannot Receive Copyrights
by frankinstien (AI News )
August 24, 2023, 08:49:45 am

Users Online

191 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 248. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles