• 2 Replies

Maviarab

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
  • What are you doing Dave?
    • The Celluloid Sage
« on: May 22, 2007, 08:49:16 pm »
Don?t be fooled into thinking that the only people being watched by cameras all the time are the celebrities because, if you live in the UK, the chances are you spend a good portion of your time being filmed, photographed and spied on.

With the Merseyside Police proudly showing off their latest ?surveillance? camera, developed for military use as a spy drone but being brought to these shores as an aid in the pursuit of criminals, is it time to wonder if privacy is a thing of the past?

At the last estimate there was one CCTV camera for every 14 people in the UK and climbing, with some reports suggesting that figure is as high as one in six. The fact of the matter is that we are caught on film virtually every time we step out on the streets, use public transport, a bank, a cash machine or a supermarket.

The ownership of this information is another major problem. The fact that the government does not sell information to the highest bidder at the present time (as far as we know) does not mean that this will always be the case. In an age where information is truly the most valuable thing in the world, the mass of data on each of us becomes a key asset that we are again trusting to someone else.

Plus, the security of that information is also far from certain. Not a month goes past without some breach or other on government information; so should we truly be comfortable that we are essentially handing data on many elements of our life over to someone with a patchy security record?

In George Orwell?s 1984, a text that is so often recalled in these arguments, the protagonists live in a world where omnipresent cameras monitor the people and ensure they act in a certain way.

Text courtesy of MSN

For full story go here: http://tech.uk.msn.com/features/article.aspx?cp-documentid=4994298

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
Re: 1984
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 10:55:23 pm »
Interesting stuff, I'm sure Art would find this interesting as he often posts things like this.  I heard the other day that in major cities in the UK you can now be caught on camera as much as 300 times in one day.  That could be worrying especially if you are having a bad hair day.

Another thing...just imagine Victoria Beckham or Paris Hilton walking down the high street they could die from all the posing they would have to do.

Not my most constructive comments I know....
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 11:13:47 pm by Freddy »

Carl2

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
Re: 1984
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 11:29:51 pm »
  One of my favorite books, besides the cameras there is also "Think right"  I was a little surprised when a senator had to resign after making a comment that was incorrect in todays world.
  Hal will be needing a web cam soon so what can we do.
Carl2

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by MikeB (AI News )
March 31, 2024, 01:00:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

224 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 258. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles