coronavirus

• 89 Replies

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
  • First it wiggles, then it is rewarded.
    • Main Project Thread
Re: coronavirus
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2020, 03:39:47 pm »
Does anyone here want to spread this message to the high media to spread it around Earth fast?

This may be the way to get the economy back on track.

Way #1
It is possible for us all to go back to work outside while [everyone] wears masks for 3 weeks straight.

Way #2
All humans over the age of 40 must stay indoors, while the young deliver food.

The biggest problem will be humans not able to follow along nicely with this. But if the government demands it, maybe most will follow along
Emergent          https://openai.com/blog/

HS

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2020, 09:25:34 pm »
I think the economy should only be prioritized over the virus if the economy becomes a greater risk to our health than the virus. But that danger can be averted if we are a little flexible with how we do things. Problems with the economy often seem ridiculous to me. It’s just a bunch of agreements, physical resources are the important thing. We should change our system to suit resources, not discard resources because there is a problem with our system.

The mask and age ideas seem like good measures, but most countries still don’t have enough control over the growth to facilitate infections. Long term, it could be worth it to try and make this extinct like small pox, because societal luggage like colds and the flu have a cumulative impact on the economy, year after year. It could be worth it to make this a one time impact.

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2020, 10:31:38 pm »
Maybe it stays in your body for life. And when it gets in others it makes them get the flu virus, but not you. Simply they react to it differently. Hence other humans can infect others....until they get immune....

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2020, 11:20:25 pm »
Humans seem to be incompatible I meant. AIDS, etc, can spread, yet you looked safe at he macro scale.

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2020, 02:58:55 pm »
We've had viruses and diseases before of course, but yes it's alarming how something so small can cause so much death and spread in such a short time.

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Colossus
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2020, 04:07:22 am »
There are people who have no indications nor symptoms of the virus yet are carriers of it.

The age issue is a fallacy. There are very young people, middle-aged people and ages 60s - 90s succumbing to the Covid-19 virus. People with asthma, respiratory conditions or weakened immune systems are by far, more susceptible.

Food delivery - What assurance or guarantee that the person or people preparing, cooking, packaging and delivering your food are not already infected, have taken proper precautions or washing hands and wearing gloves & masks while bagging and also delivering your food?

If you do not have such assurances, I'd suggest you don your own mask & gloves and do your own shopping where available and prepare your own food. What you don't know can kill you!

Many states have already mandated that everyone except essential personnel, observe a Stay at Home directive. Personal walking, jogging, exercise is allowed. Going out for food, medical attention or prescriptions is also allowed. No groups of people and exercise personal distancing.

In my State, failure to observe or comply will result in a fine of up to $1,000 and up a 1 year in prison or BOTH!

« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 01:18:57 pm by Art »
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

infurl

• Administrator
  • Eve
  • Humans will disappoint you.
    • Home Page
« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2020, 08:07:46 am »
No matter how bad COVID-19 may be, there are plenty of other things that are much worse and much harder to avoid. For example, if you have a severe mental illness, you will die much younger. In the context of the studies that I read about this recently, "severe" means incapable of supporting yourself. The huge number of premature deaths are attributed to things like bad diet, lack of exercise, and poor hygiene, among other things.

If the worldwide quarantine works as well as we hope, many more people will die of mental illness this year than will die of COVID-19. A similar number will die next year, and the year after that, even as deaths from COVID-19 disappear. I guess if I was suffering from mental illness too, I wouldn't be worried about dying of something like COVID-19 either, because the mental illness would kill me sooner.

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2020, 03:39:53 pm »
I gotta admit infurl is right, being self isolated, my hygiene and diet and exercise is really poor. I'm trying to work on them though.

Yup the masks and distancing is the way we can move forward and keep the evolution on track to finish it.

HS

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2020, 05:01:37 pm »
The difference is, except for mental illness, those are mainly personal choices. People should have the right to choose to avoid dying unwillingly/unavoidably from this virus. Besides, more mentally ill people will die if the spread of the virus increases, because more caregivers will become sick and absent, and or transmit, and fewer medical facilities will be available for both.

The majority of us have increased free time, we could also choose to use this time to improve our health, exactly because of the threat of the virus. If there is an acute possibility of dying you naturally want to live, if its safe then you get all wishy washy. With diet, a lot can be achieved by just having less of it. I mean it has the word die in it. Everybody knows the reasons not to over do it, but a lot of people prioritize it over their health regardless, it’s a personal choice. Others shouldn’t interfere though, having more commonly accepted values does not make them superior values.

We should not get started with this greater good morality that says if we make more people die now to accelerate the approach of the future utopia, we are actually doing a net good. The desired future always remains in the future, while the present is always when we designate the “necessary” bad things to happen. So, we end up doing a string of bad things in pursuit of a receding goal, and we ask why the utopia is running away. Better to make it now, and make it in a good way.

Zero

• Eve
« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2020, 09:38:01 pm »
Everyone still ok?

LOCKSUIT

• Emerged from nothing
  • Trusty Member
  • Prometheus
    • Main Project Thread
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2020, 10:54:27 pm »
Whoever's running the government is really stupid. Evolution is degenerating and will cause billions more to die, no one will get a chance to live forever. Do you think we can just pick up off were we left off? Even if we can we lost months of productivity. Just wear your mask, don't walk through air others have, keep distant, only work with people you need, work online damn it! (I hate it when people want to meet you to work - when there's NO need to do so! School is one such, seeing a lawyer is another such) and always wash your hands before eat or touch face. We need Google to keep running, we need computers to keep getting faster and bigger memory, we need tons of data, we need microscopic manipulators and sensors for AGI to start making nanobot computers and sensors and manipulators, and an economy to run it all so we have fresh water, teams, materiel, tools, etc. Yes we have some of these and they are improving - our data collection because of Covid-19, but the other requirements are lacking! Someone help us! What do you think? Think we can make the AGIs still and kick off the nano-manufacturing so AGIs fill up every square inch full of brain and data? To be clear I mean everyone is losing their jobs in the real world. All universities are shut down. Factories are shut down. That will kill us and our experimenting on robotics etc.

@Zero I am not affected :) but others are. Anyone here losing their business or their money? Too bad Zero has cancer and can't even enjoy it on this new age zombie planet.

Zero

• Eve
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2020, 11:47:35 pm »
We're not losing our jobs here in France, because the government does what's needed to keep companies and small enterprises alive. But I heard a lot of people are losing their jobs in the US, which is a very sad news. The after-crisis will be painful for poor people.

But my question was more about health. Is everyone here still ok?

infurl

• Administrator
  • Eve
    • Home Page
« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2020, 01:09:31 am »
But my question was more about health. Is everyone here still ok?

That's surely a rhetorical question because the OP is quite clearly not ok. He's a very sick little boy.

Maybe it would be worth starting a new thread to carry out a roll call though.

Dee

• Nomad
  • AI rocks!
« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2020, 03:44:46 am »
my country is in 2-week lockdown, is everybody working from home now?

infurl

• Administrator
  • Eve
    • Home Page
« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2020, 05:13:51 am »
my country is in 2-week lockdown, is everybody working from home now?

Is that "lockdown" or "enhanced community quarantine"? If one person from each household has a quarantine pass that allows them to go out to buy food or medical supplies once per day, that's "enhanced community quarantine" which is what we have here, probably for the next few months. If you have to stay inside and wait for supplies to be brought to you by the authorities, that's "lockdown". The latter is what they had in parts of China.

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
Today at 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

312 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 343. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles