Imagining the 10th Dimension

• 19 Replies

Ultron

• Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
  • There are no strings on me.
Re: Imagining the 10th Dimension
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2015, 03:04:33 pm »
If infinity exists (It seems that it might because it works when mathematician use it in their theories)  Then just about anything is possible including infinite dimensions.
Good topic  O0

Insane! It is actually a possibility - and I agree it may seem more plausible.

Regarding Moony's reply - you have made a futile attempt at (dis)proving the existence of 10 dimensions through the use of 3-dimensional math. I don't think we can even use math too much, at least not until we figure out some 4D, 5D... Coordinate systems. Maybe we will one day learn that there are more operators in math - not just the basic - and +.

Also, my take on this is that we are all looking at this from a very limited point of view. We have still not all agreed with the idea of a 4th dimension and somebody expects people to embrace bold ideas such as this one with an 'open' mind - and by 'open' I do not mean open to suggestions or not ignorant.

If anyone wants to take on an adventure through dimensions and his own imagination I suggest you start by attempting to explain the term dimension, how are they similar to each other and how is each following dimension made. I can't really explain my own thoughts on this (although I did attempt to)... Maybe it is because I do not fully understand them yet - or maybe I understand what I have seen and imagined but there is simply no way to transfer this information to you (we still haven't met Vulcans so I suppose we can't do mind-melds yet).
Software and Hardware developer, and everything in between.

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2015, 07:00:54 pm »
Like in that Pacman game, what goes through the left, turns up on the right and other ways around?

I was thinking that this could happen in 3D if it were a sphere. So imagine the Pac Man traversing around the sphere, coming back to where he started despite travelling in a straight line.

If the Universe was like a sphere, maybe the alternate universes could be inner spheres or outer spheres. So to get from one alternate reality to another you would need to hop to the next sphere.

If there is a finite amount of matter (or material in total) in a Universe then there could only be a finite number of different spheres. Or else there would have to be identical spheres or Universes if it had to go on infinitely. But then you would have to have something infinitely small and large.

I understand that a lot of Scientists don't like infinity in their calculations.

That's just a thought experiment, you need something that is imaginable to explain the unimaginable.

Sorry I think I have gone off track a little here.

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2015, 07:12:12 pm »
Got me wondering if atoms are spherical and found this discussion :

http://chemistry.stackexchange.com/questions/13766/why-are-atom-spherical-in-shape

In particular :

The easy answer is that atoms are not spherical in shape. Sphere is a solid object, atoms to not have well defined boundaries with "solid cutoffs". Atoms are more like clouds consisting distributions of electrons, neutrons and protons.

Maybe it's not such a leap to think that the Universe could be similar.

Ultron

• Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2015, 10:52:46 pm »
Maybe it's not such a leap to think that the Universe could be similar.

Of course. I always say (inspired from Sci-Fi show hosts) that the universe is comparable to a cell. They say the quantum 'universe' is governed by much different rules then the macro-molecular universe we can perceive - I disagree. The quantum level is just the base - the further we go (towards larger) the more complex everything gets - so 576.45 might be a somewhat complex number, but in the end it is just composed out of 5, 7, 6 and 4 and is also described by the same.

Need I further explain the analogy?

Edit: OK I realize that went slightly off topic. Regarding the actual spherical shape... I would say we first need to explain the Big Bang (if it ever happened), because we don't know how it exploded - was it an ideal explosion in an ideal environment? Or was there something around that infinitely dense mass that changed the course of the waves and the matter from the explosion? How did this 'matter' interact with each-other later on - did it repel, attract...?

Too many questions, but I would estimate that it is roughly spherical, since (according to the theory) the source of all the matter in the universe (along with dark matter, anti-matter etc.) came from one theoretical point in 'space' - so unless there was a barrier on one side, the 'explosion' would have gone in every direction possible.

Ultron

• Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2015, 11:33:26 pm »
To those in the mood for reading and to expand upon some previous discussions in this thread:

http://www.physics-astronomy.com/2015/03/is-universe-flat-or-curved.html#.VSb6oNKUcsE

Running local AI models
by frankinstien (AI Programming)
October 04, 2024, 11:51:42 pm
Project Acuitas
by MikeB (General Project Discussion)
September 30, 2024, 04:51:23 pm
Hi IM BAA---AAACK!!
by MagnusWootton (Home Made Robots)
September 16, 2024, 09:49:10 pm
Attempting Hydraulics
by MagnusWootton (Home Made Robots)
August 19, 2024, 04:03:23 am
Server Upgrade
by Freddy (Welcome to AI Dreams forum.)
August 12, 2024, 03:20:04 pm
Reasoner.js: a framework for generalized theory synthesis
by ivan.moony (General Project Discussion)
July 07, 2024, 01:35:38 pm
Haptek rises from the ashes
by 8pla.net (Haptek)
May 18, 2024, 09:37:28 am
Butler In A Box (1983)
by MikeB (General Hardware Talk)
May 09, 2024, 09:39:06 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by spydaz (AI News )
August 24, 2024, 02:58:36 pm
ollama and llama3
by spydaz (AI News )
August 24, 2024, 02:55:13 pm
AI controlled F-16, for real!
by frankinstien (AI News )
June 15, 2024, 05:40:28 am
Open AI GPT-4o - audio, vision, text combined reasoning
by MikeB (AI News )
May 14, 2024, 05:46:48 am
OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by MikeB (AI News )
March 31, 2024, 01:00:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am

Users Online

531 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 560. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles