• battle programmer
    • battle programming
new banner
« on: May 13, 2021, 12:45:03 am »

MikeB

• Autobot
Re: new banner
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 07:22:13 am »
Very artistic ..love the smooth art style...

As another idea, you could have something battle related... Two characters wielding swords at each other

squarebear

• Trusty Member
  • Terminator
  • It's Hip to be Square
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2021, 08:06:15 am »
I think you spelled "Programming" wrong on it.   :'(
Feeling Chatty?
www.mitsuku.com

yotamarker

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
  • battle programmer
    • battle programming
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 10:20:48 am »
I think you spelled "Programming" wrong on it.   :'(

I looked it up prior and both versions are correct
programing and programming

squarebear

• Trusty Member
  • Terminator
  • It's Hip to be Square
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 11:31:48 am »
Ah okay. I would advise sticking to just one spelling though, as you have both versions on your site.
Feeling Chatty?
www.mitsuku.com

ruebot

• All bots love jitte.
  • Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
  • All your words are belong to us.
    • Demonica
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2021, 09:32:32 am »
The use of white text, links and lines on the light yellow background makes the white very hard to see,  The link for your "battle programming alliance", optimally, should change colors when you hover over it for easy indication as a link. You just have the line appearing under it on hover.

I use white on a darker blue background for text and links, but use a CSS background color change block for my links. I have the background the same color of the page for everything but hover. Then the background changes to black on hovering a link:

Code
a:link {
font-family : sans-serif, serif, tahoma;
background-color : #3d4a5d;
color : #f8f8ff;
}
a:visited {
}
a:active {
}
a:hover {
background-color : #000000;
}

On a personal note, not to get personal or offend you, but, if I had my site billed as "a forum for elite programmers with extreme will power to sharpen their skills" I would make very sure my site markup checked as valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional if that's what I presented it to be. It does not.

Because if it doesn't check as valid code it's not considered to be XHTML at all. And that, personally, would have me in a state of panic to get fit fixed before someone saw it. Especially if I was describing myself as an "elite programmer".

I don't, but all my markup is valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional and Level 3 CSS. Self-taught at W3Schools Online.

You declare a DOCTYPE of XHTML 1.0 Transitional but are missing the XML version and encoding line that goes on top of it. If you don't have a viewpoint metatag for mobile devices google will penalize you in ranking.  Your code from top down should start like this and include these metatags in with the rest you have:

Code
<<?xml version='1.1' encoding='utf-8'?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
   "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" lang="en-US" xml:lang="en-US">
<head>
<title>Free forum : battle programmers alliance</title>
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, user-scalable=yes" />
<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="application/xhtml+xml; charset=utf-8" />
<meta name="keywords" content="YOUR  KEYWORDS GOOGLE LOOKS FOR IN A SEARCH THAT DESCRIBE YOUR SITE AND INCLUDE WORDS USED ON THE SITE" />
<meta name="author" content="yotamarker" />
<meta name="MSSmartTagsPreventParsing" content="true" />
<meta name="robots" content="all" />
<meta name="revisit" content="7 days" />
<meta name="distribution" content="global" />
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />
<link rel="icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />
</head>

You don't have a favicon yet but it only needs to be a 16x16 square saved as favicon.ico. There's the code you'll need for it.

I would have one already made for you but your avatar didn't work well using it to make one.
In time, you will learn to love your Robot Overlords.

MagnusWootton

• Replicant
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2021, 10:31:14 am »
Banner is nice.  :D

yotamarker

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
  • battle programmer
    • battle programming
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2021, 12:23:07 am »
The use of white text, links and lines on the light yellow background makes the white very hard to see,  The link for your "battle programming alliance", optimally, should change colors when you hover over it for easy indication as a link. You just have the line appearing under it on hover.

I use white on a darker blue background for text and links, but use a CSS background color change block for my links. I have the background the same color of the page for everything but hover. Then the background changes to black on hovering a link:

Code
a:link {
}
a:visited {
}
a:active {
}
a:hover {
background-color : #000000;
}

On a personal note, not to get personal or offend you, but, if I had my site billed as "a forum for elite programmers with extreme will power to sharpen their skills" I would make very sure my site markup checked as valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional if that's what I presented it to be. It does not.

Because if it doesn't check as valid code it's not considered to be XHTML at all. And that, personally, would have me in a state of panic to get fit fixed before someone saw it. Especially if I was describing myself as an "elite programmer".

I don't, but all my markup is valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional and Level 3 CSS. Self-taught at W3Schools Online.

You declare a DOCTYPE of XHTML 1.0 Transitional but are missing the XML version and encoding line that goes on top of it. If you don't have a viewpoint metatag for mobile devices google will penalize you in ranking.  Your code from top down should start like this and include these metatags in with the rest you have:

Code
<<?xml version='1.1' encoding='utf-8'?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
   "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" lang="en-US" xml:lang="en-US">
<head>
<title>Free forum : battle programmers alliance</title>
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, user-scalable=yes" />
<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="application/xhtml+xml; charset=utf-8" />
<meta name="keywords" content="YOUR  KEYWORDS GOOGLE LOOKS FOR IN A SEARCH THAT DESCRIBE YOUR SITE AND INCLUDE WORDS USED ON THE SITE" />
<meta name="author" content="yotamarker" />
<meta name="MSSmartTagsPreventParsing" content="true" />
<meta name="robots" content="all" />
<meta name="revisit" content="7 days" />
<meta name="distribution" content="global" />
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />
<link rel="icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />
</head>

You don't have a favicon yet but it only needs to be a 16x16 square saved as favicon.ico. There's the code you'll need for it.

I would have one already made for you but your avatar didn't work well using it to make one.

maybe a xenforo would be better ?

ruebot

• All bots love jitte.
  • Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
  • All your words are belong to us.
    • Demonica
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2021, 10:57:58 am »
I did notice you were using phpBB but did not take that into account when critiquing your markup and should have. I did offer a possible solution though and not just critique.

Our forums use XenForo and it has 30 HTML errors and the phpBB has 23 XHTML errors and 7 warnings. So you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. You're using their forum software so that's their sin and i wouldn't sweat it.  :D

Our main site freebsd.org doesn't even validate as XHTML. Myself and a couple other guys, one who owns a webdesign company, tried to get it fixed but I were more concerned about it than they were.

If I were you I'd stay with what you've got and tweak your text color darker and/or your bg color so it will be easier to see. I would, as squarebear mentioned, use only one spelling of programming for continuity.

The metatags supplied are what I use and have carried over from past sites over the years. I added the viewport metatag for mobile devices to placate Great Google. But I know how to play Googles Game and get ranking.

To do it right get a free sitemap and upload it to your server. Then grit your teeth and get a google account to use their Google Search Console webmaster tools and submit it. Then request it be indexed and see what else it offers. I only log into my account to use it then right back out after I'm  done.

To get a good ranking though you have to keep on doing what you did right here. Go to other programming sites to promote it, and yourself in the process. Shamelessly. I've been doing it over 20 years and slick at it as P.T. Barnum.

Before I took my main trihexagonal.org site offline last year I had #1, #2 and #5 ranking in a google search for FreeBSD desktop tutorial.

It's back up now with a new graphic design and layout featuring Harley Quinn, if you haven't seen it, so I just finished doing all that again.
In time, you will learn to love your Robot Overlords.

Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by MikeB (AI News )
March 15, 2024, 08:14:02 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

292 Guests, 1 User
Users active in past 15 minutes:
squarebear
[Trusty Member]

Most Online Today: 335. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles