What's everyone up to ?

• 1048 Replies

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
Re: What's everyone up to ?
« Reply #450 on: June 04, 2011, 01:42:57 pm »
Yes I used to like being self employed when I was a landscape gardener.  I miss it sometimes, but I might go that way again but this time as a web designer.

As for the NAS, well so far I have got the web server working (as you know) so I will be using that for when I need to show people what I am working on.

I've also set it up to synchronise with my desktop and things like my documents, picture folders and my local server (on the PC).  So whenever I change anything in any of my selected folders it auto backs it up to the NAS.

I can also remotely access any files on it, so for example , say I visit my parents and want to show them my new photos I just dial in to my drive and pull them up.  And I can back up my Dad's photos to the NAS too.

And I am using it as a print server.  I was able to move my printer into another room beside the NAS and I print over the network now.  This is better as now I have a lot more desk space.

That's as far as I have got so far, but there are other things I want to set up.  It's also a DLNA server so I can stream stuff to the TV, like videos, pictures and so on.  Previously to do that I had to have the PC on, but obviously I don't now.  And as it runs at about 14 watts it's more economical for that kind of thing.

Things like the torrent down loader will be handy too as I can drop them into the NAS and let that handle it.  Meaning I can turn off the PC and go to bed while the NAS does it's stuff.  Then move it to the main PC in the morning.

For the money you pay, you really get a lot of options with this unit.  I am well pleased with it.  Some of it is a bit difficult to work out, but I am getting there.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 01:53:11 pm by Freddy »

Data

• Eve
  • Overclocked // Undervolted
    • Datahopa - Share your thoughts ideas and creations
« Reply #451 on: June 04, 2011, 02:07:24 pm »
Yes you do get a lot for your money don’t you.

It all sounds interesting, I might have to think about getting one for the testing of sites, up to now I have used the Datahopa webspace but that does have its limitations.

What really interests me is the synchronisation of your important files, I have tried a few times to do that but cant really find a decent program, all the ones I’ve tried have some annoying things about them, like backing up the entire drive when all I want is to back up some of the folders and content inside.

What software are you using to do it? 

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #452 on: June 04, 2011, 02:27:54 pm »
Yep working on websites is going to be so much quicker than having to keep using FTP all the time.

The software comes with it.  It's called Data Replicator 3.

It's very easy to use and runs on your main PC.  There's a variety of back up options.  I picked to synchronise folders as I think that will be better than a scheduled backup.

The process for that was pretty straightforward.  You pick a folder on the NAS where you want to back it up (I used a secure destination, which you can configure easily).  Then you can choose which folders on your PC you want to monitor.  Initially you can do a backup of everything that pre-exists, which takes quite some time to do.  After than it just keeps an eye on everything and only backs up changed files.  You can set it up to remove files from the NAS when you delete them from the PC too.

And you can set it up to start up when Windows start and connect to the NAS automatically.  I need to test if it starts the synchronisation automatically too, not sure as I hadn't ticked one option last night.  It might do that too, will let you know, next time I reboot.

I found this page which runs through the basics : http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index.php/How_to_%22Set-n-Forget%22_backup_with_Synology_Data_Replicator_3

Data

• Eve
« Reply #453 on: June 04, 2011, 02:59:52 pm »
Thanks for the info, I’ve downloaded Data Replicator 3, it seems to be free, going to try to get it going using my external USB HDD. 

Will report back, at some point.

Data

• Eve
« Reply #454 on: June 04, 2011, 04:18:47 pm »
Yeah I like it, got it all working, back-up made and automatic synchronisation is on.

Best I’ve tried so far, nice piece of software, going to test it for a few days, then maybe we should make a post about it in the software section of the forum. 

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #455 on: June 04, 2011, 04:26:11 pm »
Okey Doke  O0

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Colossus
« Reply #456 on: June 05, 2011, 02:27:29 pm »
Thanks for the info, I’ve downloaded Data Replicator 3, it seems to be free, going to try to get it going using my external USB HDD. 

Will report back, at some point.

Hey! That's not a Datahopa Replicator is it? You're not really the 3rd in a continuing line of CLONES are you?
What's the world coming to...or three...or four.... ;D
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

Data

• Eve
« Reply #457 on: June 05, 2011, 03:27:38 pm »
Good one Art  ;D

However, I feel that one of me is more than enough for all the good people here  ;)

DaveMorton

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
  • Safe, Reliable Insanity, Since 1961
    • Geek Cave Creations
« Reply #458 on: June 05, 2011, 03:32:23 pm »
And some would argue "too much"... Not me, of course, but... :P
Comforting the Disturbed, Disturbing the Comfortable
Chat with Morti!
LinkedIn Profile
CAPTCHA4us

Data

• Eve
« Reply #459 on: June 05, 2011, 04:27:51 pm »
I know, sorry about that, sometimes I feel like a “chiliagon” peg trying to fit into a “myriagon” hole.

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #460 on: June 05, 2011, 07:27:17 pm »
Haha  ;D

Just going back to the NAS drive.  How's it looking, seems fine here.  I think I will turn off Windows back up now.

Data

• Eve
« Reply #461 on: June 06, 2011, 11:27:07 am »
I still like the Data Replicator 3, you don’t really know its there doing its job, which is a plus point.

Only slight annoyance is the little start up screen you get when you start Windows, you have the option to say Yes or No, after playing around with it I have decided its best to say No, works quicker that way.

And yes better than the Windows 7 backup.

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #462 on: June 06, 2011, 12:50:17 pm »
Yes I click 'No' too as I doubt even Windows can change stuff when the PC is turned off.  ;)

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #463 on: June 26, 2011, 09:14:41 pm »
It still seems to be working well here, couple of mishaps when I confused it by unzipping stuff and then deleting it before it had time to update. Apart from that it seems to be fine. It's just nice to know my files get backed up for me.

Very hot here today, nearly too hot  :o

Data

• Eve
« Reply #464 on: July 05, 2011, 05:46:18 pm »
Im just wondering what you lot are up to with poser and DS4

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
March 28, 2024, 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

320 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 396. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles