What's everyone up to ?

• 1048 Replies

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Colossus
Re: What's everyone up to ?
« Reply #510 on: November 01, 2011, 09:01:56 pm »
If you're a Special FX fan, you'll love some of the scenes in the movie! Outstanding is actually an understatement!! O0
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #511 on: November 02, 2011, 05:28:58 pm »
Yep I hope I don't have dreams about it.

Just spent an hour trying to catch two kittens that had escaped from my neighbours house, boy were they wriggly.  ;D

It was dark and they were not at all keen on being 'rescued' lol

Eventually one scratchy stick and a bowl of milk and they were finally mine  :banana:

Data

• Eve
  • Overclocked // Undervolted
    • Datahopa - Share your thoughts ideas and creations
« Reply #512 on: November 04, 2011, 12:49:39 pm »
Today I had a water meter fitted, time to save loads of money. :)

A friend of mine had one fitted and is bill is about £7 a month now, where as before his bill was £450 a year, I’m not great at math but I think there is a saving there. ;D

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #513 on: November 04, 2011, 12:58:42 pm »
Yes they can save loads, I had one put in a couple of years ago and it is much cheaper than the flat rate.

DaveMorton

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
  • Safe, Reliable Insanity, Since 1961
    • Geek Cave Creations
« Reply #514 on: November 04, 2011, 02:58:51 pm »
That is, of course, if your pipes aren't hemorrhaging water underground, or you're not washing out the street gutters on a daily basis. :) I'm on a private well here, so my water only costs me the electricity to pump it out of the ground. :) Of course, there's also that thing about well water being 10 times better tasting than city water, too. :P
Comforting the Disturbed, Disturbing the Comfortable
Chat with Morti!
LinkedIn Profile
CAPTCHA4us

infurl

• Administrator
  • Eve
  • Humans will disappoint you.
    • Home Page
« Reply #515 on: November 04, 2011, 03:12:26 pm »
That is, of course, if your pipes aren't hemorrhaging water underground, or you're not washing out the street gutters on a daily basis. :) I'm on a private well here, so my water only costs me the electricity to pump it out of the ground. :) Of course, there's also that thing about well water being 10 times better tasting than city water, too. :P

Nothing quite beats the piquancy of radioactive contamination does it. I was born and raised on well water electrically pumped from the ground too. Now however I'm fortunate to be living in a town (Launceston in northern Tasmania) which reputedly has the third best water quality in the world. When you buy bottled water that is supposedly pure spring water, if it isn't actually our tap water, then it probably isn't as good. :)

To be fair I've heard that New York City's tap water is actually pretty good too. I once saw Penn & Teller do an elaborate practical joke on TV where they actually had a boutique mineral water shop in NYC and were passing off the exact same tap water as a variety of differently named and priced exotic waters. Hilarious watching stuck up yuppies "water tasting" and enthusing about the different flavours when you had just seen the glasses filled in the back of the shop, all from the same tap.

At the other end of the spectrum, you have the city of Adelaide in South Australia. When some friends went there to visit a few years ago, I asked them to bring back a bottle of tap water so I could see if it lived up to its reputation. Assuming they weren't kidding me (I had no reason to believe they were), a centimetre of sludge had settled out of the water in the bottom of the bottle by the time it was returned to me.

DaveMorton

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • Geek Cave Creations
« Reply #516 on: November 04, 2011, 03:50:48 pm »
That sounds familiar. When I was growing up, I lived in a tiny little hamlet of 500 people, where again, we had a well. In point of fact, it was a warm water artesian well, that flowed out of the ground 9 months of the year, and steamed in the winter. When we went sledding on the hill behind my house, all the neighborhood kids (all three of us {I don't count my siblings, as that would have more than doubled that number. :)}) would often stick our frozen fingers in the well's output to thaw them out. It was absolutely the sweetest, best tasting water I've ever had. In contrast, the school I attended at the time in a town 12 miles away, was on city water. In order to be able to take a drink from any water fountain/faucet in town, you had to let the water run anywhere from 15 seconds, to often well near a full minute, so that the water stopped coming out a sickly-looking yellowish brown. It also smelled faintly of sulpher most times, and tasted like the inside of an old boot. Of course, this was over 30 years ago, so maybe the situation has changed (I pray to God that it's change for the better)...
Chat with Morti!
LinkedIn Profile
CAPTCHA4us

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Colossus
« Reply #517 on: November 05, 2011, 06:28:09 pm »
Today I had a water meter fitted, time to save loads of money. :)

A friend of mine had one fitted and is bill is about £7 a month now, where as before his bill was £450 a year, I’m not great at math but I think there is a saving there. ;D

Yeah...about 30.5 pounds / month!!

We recently got a water bill for $234.00!!
It's usually about $55 - $60 for a three month period!

Turns out the grandkids, while playing in the back yard, didn't shut the water valve completely off so the hose
trickled...and trickled...and trickled...for an entire billing period. After calling the water dept. they told me to
check for leaks in the house. (notice..."IN THE HOUSE".) Well, being the occassional literal person that I am,
I assured them there were no leaks IN THE HOUSE. After walking around the house pondering this leaky
deliema, I came across the hose valve, under a pile of leaves, leaking profusely. Needless to say, I reluctantly
send them off their check. What a drip!! :knuppel2:

In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

Data

• Eve
« Reply #518 on: November 06, 2011, 12:01:50 pm »
Glad you found the leak Art, after throwing money down the drain for ages it must be a relief.

Now I’m on a meter I find that I’m being mean when it comes to water, only using what I need, turning off the taps quickly, oh yes… and not having any baths  ;D :D ;)     

DaveMorton

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • Geek Cave Creations
« Reply #519 on: November 06, 2011, 03:45:07 pm »
Well, Data, that last bit permanently disqualifies you from ever being a Golgafrinchan starship Captain. I'm so very sad for you. Your bucket list will never be complete now. :(
Chat with Morti!
LinkedIn Profile
CAPTCHA4us

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #520 on: November 18, 2011, 01:11:41 pm »
I heard one of my friends had finished her Christmas shopping already.  I have no idea what to get people this year. I hope every one else is more organised than me.  I think I will have to trawl Amazon for some ideas.

Data

• Eve
« Reply #521 on: November 18, 2011, 01:38:37 pm »
Wish I had all my Christmas shopping done, top marks to your friend, have done some though but plenty more to do here.

I will be trawling Amazon as well.   

Bit of advice, concentrate mostly on the really important gifts, Mum, Dad and of course Data  :2funny: 

DaveMorton

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • Geek Cave Creations
« Reply #522 on: November 18, 2011, 03:22:06 pm »
Christmas shopping? This early??? Are you MAD?!?!?!

I thought we weren't supposed to start that till a week or two after Thanksgiving! Oh, wait! You blokes don't celebrate that holiday in the Empire, do you? :P
Chat with Morti!
LinkedIn Profile
CAPTCHA4us

lrh9

• Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
  • Rome wasn't built in a day.
« Reply #523 on: November 19, 2011, 08:08:21 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_creep

Sometimes I think that in the future every day from Halloween to New Year's will be a holiday.

Then I wonder if that will be a good or bad thing...

squarebear

• Trusty Member
  • Terminator
  • It's Hip to be Square
« Reply #524 on: November 19, 2011, 08:57:40 pm »
Not sure about other countries but here in England we have a national holiday at the end of August. After that, the shops start to put their Christmas campaigns out. I never even think about it until the 1st December.
Feeling Chatty?
www.mitsuku.com

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
Today at 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

316 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 346. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles