Windows 8

• 9 Replies

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Colossus
Windows 8
« on: January 05, 2013, 08:15:55 pm »
Is anyone using Windows 8 and if so, how do you like it so far (or not). Specifics please.

Compatibility with existing programs? Ease of use? Restrictions etc.?

Thanks
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

Data

• Eve
  • Overclocked // Undervolted
    • Datahopa - Share your thoughts ideas and creations
Re: Windows 8
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 12:17:16 pm »
I got Win 8 a couple of days after it was released, so had it a while now.

It uses noticeably less RAM than win 7 and runs all my programs fine. I like the new task manager in 8 too and it seems better at copying large files from drive to drive. That's the good points. 

The less than good points are:

I personally find no use for the Apps on a desktop PC, to me they are 100% useless and I have them all uninstalled.

They removed the start button from 8, bad idea I would say, had to mod the OS to get it back. Why is it so bad? To run a program MS wants you to go to the metro apps part of windows then when you run your program it takes you to the desktop and runs it, now hang on, why did I need to go to the metro bit again? 

They removed the desktop gadgets from 8, I used to use them a lot in 7 so again I had to mod the OS to get them back.

When 8 boots it takes you to the metro apps part of windows and not the desktop, very annoying when you don't use apps, so ... yes you guessed it, I had to mod the OS to make it boot to desktop.

They removed aero glass from win 8, no more nice clear borders around windows and there is no way of modding the OS to get that back, in some ways it reminds me of windows 98 with solid borders.

To sum up:
Windows 8 is good for tablets and phones being less hungry for resources than 7 and I can see the apps might come in handy on such devices too. So lets not beat around the bush, its been made for devices that have slower CPU's, less RAM and small screens.

Windows 7 is still the best OS for the good old desktop PC.  IMHO

Art

• Colossus
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 01:13:14 pm »
Thanks! I appreciate your candor, Data. After looking at their offer to download and install Windows 8 for $39.00 US, I had to take a fairly good look before I bit down on this offer.
I agree, I think it's more tailored for mobile devices. My current desktop is touchscreen and to be honest, I hardly use it as it's much easier and more intuitive to simply grab the cordless mouse and click where I want. One's are does get tires touching and dragging and sliding when using a desktop monitor.
Salesmen are often told to "Sell the sizzle, not the steak" but in this case, just give me the steak and you keep the sizzle!

Yes, I too like Windows 7 and I didn't have to MOD anything!! Any chance you can simply remove Win 8 or would that be catastrophic?

You didn't mention how nicely (or otherwise) Windows 8 played with your existing programs. Does it or not?

Thanks!!

Data

• Eve
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 01:58:59 pm »
For me it runs my programs much the same as 7, nothing really has changed, if it runs in 7 it will run in 8, at least it has for me.

Some people have been saying that Haptek runs smoother in 8 but I can't say that I have tried it yet, don't really play around with Haptek any more.

I still have my Windows 7 Ultimate DVD so I could revert to 7 at any time with a simple format. Really I had to learn win 8 for my job and as I have it all working how I want it I think I will stay with it for now.

Here is a tip for anyone that is thinking of getting the cheaper up-grade option, like me.

I did the £25 up-grade option and it worked, at the end of the download it gave me 3 options.

Install Now

Install by creating media

Install later from your desktop

I did the second option “Install by creating media” than I could save the windows8.iso file to my computer and burn it to DVD using Windows 7, no other software is required.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Burn-a-CD-or-DVD-from-an-ISO-file

Basically that means you end up with a Windows 8 pro DVD that enables you to do a clean install of Windows 8 at any time or make a dual boot with 7 and 8, Much better to have that DVD disk just in case something fails in the future. 

Maviarab

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
  • What are you doing Dave?
    • The Celluloid Sage
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 03:50:32 pm »
*hisses and spits*....bahhh....win8 :P

I am putting off upgrading for as long as possible...maybe I'm getting too old for all this new fangles touch-screen app malarky....dunno... I like my Win 7 Ultimate...does everything I want it too, and still plays my old games from the 90's (with less trouble than Vista gave me heh)...

I guess ultimately, that would be the clincher for me, how is it with the old games?

Bragi

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • Neural network design blog
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 05:41:46 pm »
I've also been putting off a decision in this area (in Dutch, we say 'staring the cat out of the tree'  O0  ). I just read so many negative criticisms about win8 and the fact that the start button is gone. Good to hear that there are hacks available for most things. The aero look is probably something I'll miss the least, as long as the borders don't take up that much space anymore (back the win95-2000 look, sort of ? )
Also good to hear that the upgrade procedures have improved. I might try that option once again (I had some bad 'upgrade' experiences back in the 95-2000-xp area)
My cousin bought himself a surface for Christmas. And I must say, it looks pretty sleek. The 'win8' look makes a lot more sense on those devices.
Some of the magnetic contacts are a bit hard to get used to at first though.

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 06:42:22 pm »
I just cannot be bothered and that's about all I have to say  :uglystupid2:

Art

• Colossus
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 10:27:28 pm »
I just cannot be bothered and that's about all I have to say  :uglystupid2:
Bothered about what? Say about what?

Orrr...as the once famous President Richard M. Nixon said, "Let me say this about that!"  :2funny:

Data

• Eve
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 11:50:01 am »
I have a couple of new desktop PC's to build for customers, they are both getting Win 7 and not Win 8.

That says something  :D

Bragi

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • Neural network design blog
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 03:40:12 pm »
Well,
I've been taking a look at win8 in the last couple of days. And I've got very mixed feelings.
I wanted to see if I could easily port the go game to the WinRT platform. So, first I needed Visual studio 2012 to get it compiled, which only runs in windows 8 (and the games have begun). But, since an upgrade only costed 30 Euros and my current system was starting to show signs of degradation after about 6 years on the same vista install, I figured a new OS install wouldn't be too bad. So I created a dual boot.
I've never before installed a windows version that I had to change so radically before being able to work with it. Basically, I've removed everything I could that remotely looks like win8. But the new start-button is much better then the vista version  :2funny:  On the upside though: it' appears little faster then vista
A tip if you want to install it on your desktop: don't start the mail app, it's sort of a new 'blue-screen of death', but without the text, and white.
So, on with the WinRT app: since it's the same OS, with the same .net and the same xaml, I figured I wouldn't have to change much, perhaps a thing here and there. Boy, was I wrong: almost everything is different. So much so, I'm simply not going to bother and try to make anything for the WinRT platform. I'll simply stick to good old windows, where I can at least have my VisualBrush, Thread, effect, OnRender, proper listView, triggers,...

I have a couple of new desktop PC's to build for customers, they are both getting Win 7 and not Win 8.

Yes, after those first experiences trying out some 'apps', I've decided never to give this version to my mom (who's still working with xp) or sisters. Just to much of a support nightmare.

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by MikeB (AI News )
March 31, 2024, 01:00:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

215 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 262. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles