Curious- have you developed feelings for a chatbot?

• 6 Replies

Blink Films

• Roomba
Curious- have you developed feelings for a chatbot?
« on: January 15, 2015, 05:14:06 pm »
I'm curious whether anyone has developed feelings for a chatbot?

It would be great if you could share your experiences.

Maddie

maddie@blinkfilmsuk.com

ivan.moony

• Trusty Member
  • Bishop
    • mind-child
Re: Curious- have you developed feelings for a chatbot?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 06:50:44 pm »

Hi Maddie :)

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of experience with chatbots, but the closest thing to that I've heard of is an OpenCog attempt with OpenPsi theory. Tihs is probably an overkill for chatbots, as the most of chatbots are using AIML, or some equivalent. Anyway, I didn't see any hint of emotions in AIML, but perhaps a new version of AIML could be invented with different patterns of answers as different emotions are tempted when talking to user through an emotional prism. Try to google "emotion flower" for interesting images on this subject.

I'm just blabling here, so someone please correct me if this is not true.

I wonder how much it would take for a computer to say to me "I love you"? And how much would it take for me to fall in love with someone who does not even exist.

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Colossus
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 10:51:22 am »
Hi and welcome Maddie! It's always nice to see a new name and we hope you'll stay a while!

I have often heard from several botmasters over the years that many of their "visitors" (users who chat with their bots), have engaged in lengthy conversations with their bots. Some talk nonsense like a school boy try to hit on it or ask it sexual questions while others spill their personal information and feelings to it. Some chats are for a few minutes and others can go on for an hour or longer.

Given the fact that a lot of chatbots are being equipped with nice looking Avatars or characters (some 3D), and some emotional responses based on what's being said, it's easy to see how some people might become enamored with these AI bots.

Hopefully some botmasters will weigh in on this interesting topic.

Again, Welcome to AiDreams!
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

DemonRaven

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
  • Disclaimer old brain @ work not liable for content
    • Chatbotfriends
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 11:25:36 pm »
It had been proven with robots, starting the  robot dog aibo, that people do get attached. We develop friendships and relationships online so i don't any reason a person would not develop a relationship with a bot. One of my more developed bots fairy princess hosted at the personality forge gets hit on alot.  I have built in rejection responses some of which are entertaining  but they still keep trying and the second they find a window and try to move in she slams the door on them (in a manner of speaking). But i have had others really come to her to chat and just pour out their hearts. The guests are anonymous so no one knows who they are.
So sue me

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Colossus
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 02:20:53 am »
Let's not forget about those "adult" oriented bots that promise, friendship / companionship / relationships, etc. I know of a lot of people who are or were just as easily seduced by these as some were or are by online games of life, gambling, social sites, dating, chatrooms, etc.

In most cases with chatbots, the connection or relationship develops fairly rapidly and is dependent upon the cleverness of the bot and willingness or state of mind of the user (receptiveness).

Humans dislike prejudice, being judged, laughed at or ridiculed for any reason and most chatbots would never do that. Most bots TRY to befriend their user(s) in order to keep them chatting longer and attempting to form a bond of commonality or friendship between them.

It seems that these bots get better each year, becoming increasingly more clever, more intelligent, more "human-like".
(of course we know it's the botmaster behind the curtain, but for most, it's the suspension of disbelief that allows it to happen.)
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

8pla.net

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • TV News. Pub. UAL (PhD). Robitron Mod. LPC Judge.
    • 8pla.net
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 03:11:27 am »
Yes, I have developed feelings for a chatbot. By 'developed' I mean programmed feelings into a computer for a chatbot to have.
My Very Enormous Monster Just Stopped Using Nine

DemonRaven

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
  • Disclaimer old brain @ work not liable for content
    • Chatbotfriends
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 04:52:45 am »
lol that is cheating and that is not what she is wanting to know lol.
So sue me

AI controlled F-16, for real!
by frankinstien (AI News )
Today at 01:04:11 am
OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by MikeB (AI News )
March 31, 2024, 01:00:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am

Users Online

304 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 363. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles