Making robots out of super hard grain cracker material.

• 3 Replies

MagnusWootton

• Replicant
Making robots out of super hard grain cracker material.
« on: July 23, 2021, 04:49:06 am »
CRACKER-BOTS.  :D

I was screwing around with cereal,  and I found that I could get a noxious variety of the grain based material, (which happened to be porridge.)
via by virtually just leaving it under the tap and let all the solutes drain away,  what was left was a bad smelling sickly green load of husk and a little starch left over.  (I can tell the starch was in it, because it was leaving behind a colloid when I adgitated it with my wooden spoon.)

I then got it, put it in the mcrowave and it formed a horrible green coloured cracker,    I was very excited to see how hard it was, but my teeth just went through it very similar to a vita-wheet but I had to spit it out it was so disgusting, but it did have a nice cracker texture.

I was disappointed, because I wanted something that was more worthy of a strong resilient robot.   I then put it under the tap,  initially it looked like it was going to hold against the liquid, because I was thinking it was water insoluable,  but it turned out it turned literally into a sponge, and then a disgusting smell came out of it, like a dead body.

I thought I just made the most disgusting mistake of all time, and all was lost,   but I didnt give up, and then I decided to put it in a baking powder solution, and this time it didnt go sloppy as quickly, and it didnt smell as bad, but it still smelt a bit, then I dried it out in the microwave,  to my suprise a lot of white gunk came out of it (This is the starch I think.) and it pocked up all the cracks and it then hardened. (So my theory goes.)

Then this cracker was so hard it hurt my teeth and I couldnt bite into it It was so hard!   Eureka!   I found something decently tough! and its made out of porridge,  porridge goes for very little at the supermarket, you can get a kg for $3!   thats got to be the cheapest building material you can get!  Imagine how many robots you could afford made of this cheap crap!

I eventually was able to snap it in 2 with both hands,  (it was about a cm thick, and 4.5 cm across, both other dimensions, it was flattish) But that was only after trying really hard to do it!  So its pretty good,  especially if Im able to make it a little tougher than that even!

Ive got it super glued now, so when it dries ill see if the centre support makes it so I cant snap it anymore, but thats only if I wait for the superglue to get to full strength.

The main problem with it,  is the horrible stench involved of this over rinsed evil porridge,   everything else is acceptable, except for the lack of water resistance.  Because its made of grain its actually extremely light weight, so it could make an aerial drone fine, as long as the weather was good and humidity down.

So it means,  when the robots get rained on, they disintigrate and leave behind a pong cloud.    :uglystupid2:

Unfortunately I couldnt hold my hand steady enough for a decent photo...

« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 10:46:14 am by MagnusWootton »

MagnusWootton

• Replicant
Re: Making robots out of super hard grain cracker material.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 05:02:33 pm »
I just worked something out,  I let it soak up oil, and then it didnt disintigrate in the water!
and i probably can help it out more with a starch coating ontop of that.   and then it should be alot less water sensitive!

I imagine you can make edible crackers more water safe, by doing that exact same thing, let it soak up some sesame oil and then its water absorption is a lot lower.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 06:19:55 pm by MagnusWootton »

Zero

• Eve
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2021, 12:38:24 pm »
Funny :)

I was very excited to see how hard it was, but my teeth just went through it very similar to a vita-wheet but I had to spit it out it was so disgusting,

I think you shouldn't taste your robots anyway :)

One day, I suggested that robots should be made out of wood. Didn't get much traction.

MagnusWootton

• Replicant
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2021, 04:53:09 am »
This is kinda the same,  except its making it out of the dormant seeds, instead.  :)

The thing I'd add to your thread,  is making the computer a wood asic!  a mechanical computer and go for physical logical advantage to get the performance back.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 06:32:43 am by MagnusWootton »

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by MikeB (AI News )
March 15, 2024, 08:14:02 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm
AI-Generated Art Cannot Receive Copyrights
by frankinstien (AI News )
August 24, 2023, 08:49:45 am

Users Online

174 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 248. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles