The Athena Project

• 184 Replies

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
Re: The Athena Project
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2014, 12:16:44 am »
Yeah...like the seasoned pilot told the young rookie...

"Any landing you can walk away from is a GOOD landing!! :2funny:
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

Snowman

• Trusty Member
  • Electric Dreamer
    • minervaai.com
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2014, 08:34:19 am »

I spent the last few days doing lots of odds and ins. Finally got the green screen in the mail and now I'm having it modified. I also bought another light to make everything look better on screen.

I also watched the movie, "Her". In my honest opinion, if anyone was to actually create a true ai, there will be some serious ethical questions that must be answered. I'm sure those questions have already been looked at by panels of experts in high places. Throughout the movie I kept waiting for an announcement by the 'ai makers' of an upgrade patch that would "fix" all the defective operating systems. Also, if the ai was as intelligent as it appeared to be, then all you would need was to give it a basic robotic skeleton with a few basic sensors and let the fun begin. Seriously, that would have been easy to do. What was scary about that movie was how much truth was in it. I can just see how many close relationships would form that way. They would have to issue ai marriage licenses. There would be ai rights parades too. Turning off your computer would be considered a hate crime.  ::)

I did some more research into pinning down the details of my VLL language. I figured that I can use the language as an intermediate step in Athena. Most things will be stored in normal English but when it comes to extrapolating data from the user's input I will attempt to use my VLL language to store it. Eventually, when Athena responds with the newly learned information, I can return the original English sentence instead of converting VLL to English. I've already started to code my ideas.

The VLL language is not really a spoken-type language its actually made for reading and writing. Its focus is on the syntax. It loosely resembles Visual Basic programming language. Basically, any word from any language can be used in VLL syntax, as long as it meets the rules for the syntax. Here's an example of this:

English: I like chickens.

VLL: sentence(agent(I) action(like) patient(chicken(count(some))   

(I generally shorten the syntax down a bit.)

sen(agt(I) act(like) pat(chicken(cnt(some)) 

The VLL sentence currently has five major keywords that show entry relationships:
Agent: the agent is the one preforming an action.
Action: the action being preformed by the agent
Patient: the thing that can have the specified action preformed to it. i.e. a ball can be thrown.
Instrument: this is the object required in order to preform the action.
Declaration: this is the meta information that the entire sentence is assigned. Is the sentence a statement or a question.

There is a lot more to this syntax, but the neat thing about it is, you can say anything you want to, only with less ambiguity. Its almost like what would happen if you decided to add tags to your language, you would label your subject, verb, adverbs, etc. It is an excellent way of storing information. This is why I want to use it in Athena.

Now time for a nap  O0

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2014, 04:19:50 pm »
Sounds clever Snowman.  8)

Did I ask already if there was some kind of API - so we could have an installation running on our PC and query it., I was just thinking about modularity, say for if I wanted to hook my avatar up to Athena ?

I haven't seen that film, but now I want to see it more.

squarebear

• Trusty Member
  • Terminator
  • It's Hip to be Square
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2014, 08:45:13 am »
What was scary about that movie was how much truth was in it. I can just see how many close relationships would form that way. They would have to issue ai marriage licenses.

Tell me about it. The number of marriage proposals and people trying to have a relationship with Mitsuku is scary!
Feeling Chatty?
www.mitsuku.com

Snowman

• Trusty Member
  • Electric Dreamer
    • minervaai.com
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2014, 06:44:54 am »
Hello squarebear,

I've been admiring your chatbot. I also noticed you compose dance music. You are certainly a person of many talents. Freddy was asking me about if I was creating an API for Athena. Most of the time this refers to web APIs in which you can connect to Athena online, or perhaps just her database. As I was considering this, that's when I discovered Mitsuku. She seems like a perfect example of a web based Chatbot done right. I never really thought of Athena being partly web-based but I've also never seen such a well constructed website like yours before, all focused on one chatbot. Great job!

Yeah Freddy, I've never given an API much thought. As for connecting to your avatar, I hope we can work something out. As for now, I've removed Haptek from Athena. There were too many problems, plus, I didn't feel like sharing profits with a company that doesn't upkeep their software.  In the mean time, I'm looking for something else to replace it. I even thought about simple animation, or even just a dramatic background that will show Athena's emotions through a range of color and motion. A person can make something cool without needing to get too complex. I'm certainly open for ideas. In the movie "Her", she didn't even have a face, and even GERTY in the movie Moon (2009), all he had was simple avatars to show emotions.  :) >:( :-\ :'( :o So I guess anything can look cool if done right.

If I make something that is web compatible, it would have to run on a windows system. Of course, I could just re-code everything in java or c++. I seriously thought about that too. If or when I finish Athena, I can potentially re-write her then. As for now, I like using Visual Basic because it is so easy to use and manage. I like that, it saves time in coding.

I also made a quick test video testing my green screen. It is by no means the end product. I need to stretch the screen to remove some wrinkles. That is the reason for the graininess. I just wanted to make something, to play around a bit. I hope its entertaining.  This video is set to "hidden" on youtube.

http://youtu.be/HSAuPlkPZq4

squarebear

• Trusty Member
  • Terminator
  • It's Hip to be Square
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2014, 09:56:05 pm »
... but I've also never seen such a well constructed website like yours before, all focused on one chatbot. Great job!
Thanks. I'm no web designer but it does the job.

Nice video by the way. You seem to live in a rough area of town judging by the background  ;D
Feeling Chatty?
www.mitsuku.com

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2014, 01:02:15 am »
Hehe, yes that was what I was thinking... :o

Snowman

• Trusty Member
  • Electric Dreamer
    • minervaai.com
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2014, 07:38:31 am »
How about this for an Update Video?
It is available in 1080p and It hasn't been made public yet.
Opinions?  :)

http://youtu.be/Doie-HDeEbI

Snowman

• Trusty Member
  • Electric Dreamer
    • minervaai.com
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2014, 07:35:57 am »
I've been quietly coding away. I did some more brainstorming too.

I've been keeping a list of good ideas that Athena will need to do. Every time I see some room for improvement or I see some other program that does it better, I will add a note.

I think I might have cracked a problem I've been having with my VLL language parser. The goal is to fully express everything a person can say into terms a computer can properly parse. I came up with something that is deceptively simple. However, I have not yet coded it. It took a lot out of me to even think of it. So I had to take a break from it.

Then I worked on conversational nodes. I did some more brain storming there too. I was considering how I was working on both an NLP and a type of neural network involving conversations. While thinking about all this, I realized that I needed to make a long term conversational field. Sometimes I just make up random names to try to express some complex idea... so please excuse my lack of vocabulary. When I was thinking about how conversations flow, I realized that there are also long term events that take place in conversations that dictate future ones. We already know that over time as new knowledge is accumulated then the ai's responses change. However, when a chatbot designer creates his or her bot they try to implement this in a one to one conversation. i.e the User says a sentence, then the Ai responds. What many fail to do is think about long term conversational trends that dictate how a conversation will evolve. I'm already using my conversational node to deal with that issue. However, the conversational field idea would take into account even longer reaches of conversations.

Consider how emotional moods are programmed into a chatbot, it is similar to what I'm trying to describe here. It is a state of a chatbot that can change over time and drive future conversational responses. For instance, you can set up a conditional field in which a User would have to use curse words 5 different times before the Ai would get agitated about you having a foul mouth. Or perhaps you have to say "I love you" five times in a row before Athena will believe you. Now think about this in a real conversation construct. A User early on says "I love you" to his chatbot. Later on, He tells his chatbot "I love you very much". The Ai responds with, "Do you think we need to get married?". Its like having a long term conversation, and in the mean time, you have lots of little conversations. Instead of directly programming this into Athena, we need to get Athena to look at long term trends of conversations. The conversational nodes I'm working on is for chain type conversations. Where you are in one chain conversation and have limited choices as to what you can say next. The more conversations you feed it the more choices you have. But, in a conversational field we have to think of a chain that periodically skip through time and then predict an appropriate response.

We humans, and Art, do this in part by remembering what we said to particular people. We randomly come up with clever ideas that progress through time. We listen to others and try it for ourselves.

Ok, so how to create a conversational field automatically through mass parsing of conversation examples. Ultimately, we would have to take periodic samples of User input sentences and then compare them with a massive archive of conversations. I suppose it would be like a scattered out version of a markov chain. Like if it was a 3 to 1 chain, in which the first three didn't need to be in sequence or even next to one another. The chain would be created by taking periodic samples (maybe based by same subjects) within a single chain conversation. Then the next time the same subject is brought up in a User/Ai conversation, with the same amount of 'subjects' needed for the Markov conversational field to work, then Athena will respond with the immediate corresponding response.

I could make a quick example of this but my brain is heating up a bit... blah... this is why I take breaks.

Anyway, I have a design for a way that a User can hard-code these conversational fields directly into Athena. Oh, it can also be used to build a game with too... Like to unlock a SECRET if enough clues were unlocked. :) Perhaps it can be used to set Ai moods based on trends and triggers the User has initiated. Maybe it can be used to unlock entire areas of code within Athena. 

I think I smell smoke... too much thinking...

Art

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2014, 09:58:42 am »
@ Snowman,

I'm not quite sure what you meant or how to take it?....

Snowman, "We humans, and Art, do this in part by remembering what we said to particular people. We randomly come up with clever ideas that progress through time. We listen to others and try it for ourselves."

Really? I'm not human? Last time I looked I thought I was! Hmmm...Now you've got me wondering.... :-\

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2014, 02:19:06 pm »
I missed the recent update video - it was really good and I'm liking the Matrix style background !

I had been looking at Freebase myself too recently , it certainly looks useful.

I also like your idea about conversation flow. The trouble with most chatbots is they cannot stay on topic so if you could crack that it would be great.

Looking good  O0
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 02:55:09 pm by Freddy »

Snowman

• Trusty Member
  • Electric Dreamer
    • minervaai.com
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2014, 09:14:42 pm »

A.R.T - Artificial Resource Technologies
~ An Ai with an attitude ~

^-^

(too much fun)

Art

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2014, 01:12:58 pm »
@ snowman,

Oops!....I mean...I knew that...hehheh!!! ^-^

Thanks for the explanation! ;)

Snowman

• Trusty Member
  • Electric Dreamer
    • minervaai.com
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2014, 05:34:41 am »
Today I've been working on Athena's on-the-fly compiling functions. It was already working but I'm working on making it sleeker.

For an experiment I made a .exe file and placed it in a folder with an empty text file. Then I wrote some code in VB inside the text file. Next I clicked the .exe file and it compiled the text file and started the newly made program.

I also made it so that if you click the .exe file again, a window will pop up and ask if you want to exit the still running compiled program.

I have too much fun with this.  :)

I also noticed that you can choose between three different code languages that this program can compile and run. They are: C#, VB, and JScript.
I might make a video of this just for fun. I need to convert some code over to C# first.

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2014, 03:33:51 pm »
Self programming. That sound very cool  8)

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
Today at 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

330 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 346. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles