• 9 Replies

claude2

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
  • are us machineries?
Computer Whitout Worries
« on: April 15, 2010, 09:14:47 pm »
AD AWARE:  http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php
SPYBOT: http://www.01net.com/telecharger/windows/Securite/anti-spyware/fiches/26157.html
UNLOCKER : http://www.clubic.com/telecharger-fiche20237-unlocker.html
AVAST ANTI VIRUS

If you like to make savings, this software is free and very serious!!! I have install very these programs on my computer, and ever no virus, can enter!!  ;)
welcome to my world!
the doors we open and close each day decide the way we live....flora whittemore

It is a proverb, sent of my friend Rutanya Alda, actress. (Amityville2)

claude2

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
  • are us machineries?
Re: Computer Whitout Worries
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 09:17:44 pm »
Attention!! For UNLOCKER DOWNLOAD THE VERSION 1.8.7 2010
welcome to my world!

Data

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • Overclocked // Undervolted
    • Datahopa - Share your thoughts ideas and creations
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 11:19:45 pm »
Some useful tools there.

You could also add Microsoft Security Essentials, its what I use these days. One free tool from Microsoft that protects you from Viruses and other nasty things.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

claude2

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
  • are us machineries?
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 11:31:10 pm »
Thanks a lot, DataHopa, I am going to see on link!! My computer, is now, in security, I had made a download, for a games, and when I have withdraw programs it, it had a multitude it of virus. Now, it is necessary to be very careful. I use my computer, for my job a lot, he is very precious. Again thank you, my friend. ;) ;D
welcome to my world!

Data

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 11:47:46 am »
There is a major up-date for MSE, if you haven’t got it already it should come in automatically as a little pop-up asking you to up-grade, if you see it I recommend doing it. .

Duskrider

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 02:33:56 pm »

Regarding MSE update, does it do or offer something different ??

Data

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 02:48:11 pm »
It changes the background interface colour from blue to grey, what else do you want lol,  ;)

Actually I’m not sure exactly what the up-date does, but as with all anti virus we should keep it right up to date.

photostill

• Trusty Member
  • Nomad
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 08:45:07 pm »
Just gonna put in a note or two. Maybe it helps, maybe not.

First thing you should keep in mind is that most malware writers worth their salt, will check against the most popular A/V and malware catchers. It's why a good portion of them pass without getting caught by what you use to find them.

The next little odd ball you might like to remember is that the majority are caught because there is a signature out for them. Now A/V companies won't just write a sig because you alone are having problems. They will wait till the sig is needed by a lot of folks getting the same thing before writing one. No sig, no id and catching of the malware.

Zero days are notorious for getting mass spreads before sigs are written. Zero day by definition has no sig because the way they apply themselves isn't yet known so no defense exists against them.

One of the ways that's been tried is to use what is called heuristic analysis. The A/V attempts to look at actions caused by software for malware purposes. It causes a lot of false positives but is among the very few ways to catch a zero day. As example, a malware would be interested in loading a keyboard driver to spy on your usage, hoping to catch passwords at a secure site, which is typically where the money is. However, a game would also be one to install a key board driver so that keys will be understood by the game as a specific action. Both would turn up as red flags.

If you really want some protection, the cure is near as bad as the ailment. There is a program out called DeepFreeze. What it does is return your computer to the state of when the program was installed. This is good and bad. Any updates you got would be wiped in the process. However, any malware not present when the software is installed would be removed. You can at install allow some extra room for logs and updates but usually what is done is the OS is limited in it's space sizes and a new partition not guarded is put in for things like updates. There is a control panel of sorts where you can designate files to be added on a manual basis.

After having been nailed with a really bad worm that infected my home LAN, I realized that having computers directly share folders is a bad move. Now every computer on the LAN is independent with no shared connection. Instead what I use to share files is what is called a NAS.

The NAS (Network Accessible Storage) is something like an external drive, using RAID configuration for multiple hard drives. Mine is Linux based so no Win malware will connect through the LAN as the Linux simply will not take it. In this way I can pass files between computers without worry of worms.

For security purposes, use a router. Since almost all routers use a hardware firewall, they are not subject to software infections. However routers, like all other firewalls, only block one way. So one side of your net connection is still open. The majority of routers block incoming.

Software firewalls, usually block outgoing, with the exception of the default M$ firewall which blocks like a hardware in it's direction. It is in M$'s self-interest this is done. M$'s money comes from business licenses, not from your M$ tax when you buy a new computer. You only pay for that once. The datamining business wants to get your info and if the firewall is blocking out going it defeats that purpose. By all means, change the default software firewall to something (ANYTHING) else.

My typical setup for malware is
  • Malwarebytes
  • Antivir (a free updatable antivirus)
  • COMODO software firewall (with antivirus)
  • FireFox browser (with extensions)

I could go on with this but the reply is already fairly long.

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 02:30:04 am »
You might also consider the addition of a more secure router with hardware firewall and things like STI (Statefull Packet Inspection), not to mention the various security settings of your network router. WAP, WEP, etc., etc.

There is NO SUCH THING as a completely secure system. It's only a matter of time and if or when you accidentally "leave the door open".

In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

photostill

• Trusty Member
  • Nomad
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 01:39:15 am »
As long as zero days exist there will never be a secure system. Even if they don't exist, you can't firewall the user nor can you put him/her into an A/V solution. So yes, there will always be inadequate security in systems. I gotta agree, no such animal as a secure system.

It did not occur to me to mention the part about router features. Most of the time, you don't find out about them till after you have it home and can get into the setup pages. More or less, you get what you get on that aspect.

For myself, I don't worry about war driving because I don't use the wifi part and disable it. No one is going to hack into it unless they can activate it. For the now, I work with two routers on the system because I'm a cheap skate that isn't going to go out and buy a third router because i need additional ports. Instead, one of the routers is reconfigured to be a hub switch so that I have enough ports.

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
March 28, 2024, 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

253 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 363. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles