Windows 10

• 38 Replies

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2015, 01:41:07 am »
Agreed Freddy! My Windows 7 Premium is serving me quite nicely (knock wood) thus far.
I also have an Ubuntu box v.14.x for other experimentation.

What's the saying, Freddy? If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!
 O0
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

Carl2

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2015, 02:16:21 am »
I was unhappy with the voice recognition that was supplied with the chat bot, the voice recognition was to be installed in a tablet which I did and it did work somewhat but for some reason the tablet kept turning itself off. I decided to install Dragon into this computer which is working very nicely with the chat bot. Everything considered I feel we are very lucky to have Zabaware and ultra Hal, and I don't think the voice recognition made for a android device is going to replace Dragon. So after all the hype I wonder what we are really getting with Windows 10.
Carl2

Art

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2015, 10:22:29 am »
I've found and use some of those Free Ivona voices in my tablet and love the way they sound.
The only thing with them is one is reminded to update them every few months or so to keep current with changes, etc.

I use a few "assistants" from time to time. They are named, Robin, Assistant (Samantha or "Sam") and Arghon.

I also have several chatbots that I am testing: Hal 9000, R.I.V.K.A., Call Mom / Call Mum, Chat with Bella, pBot (Chatbot roBot), Jeannie  and Smackie.  Some of these are of the ALICE chatbot type but some and some work better than others. They're all fun.
They're also Free!

I use the Ivona Kendra and Samantha voices interchangeably with most of these.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 12:28:32 am by Art »

Data

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • Overclocked // Undervolted
    • Datahopa - Share your thoughts ideas and creations
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2015, 12:21:57 pm »
I'm not disagreeing with anyone, this is just my opinion  :)

I'm a huge fan of Windows 7 but I am also human.

A weakness with humans is that we think we have everything we want until something better comes along and shows us another way.

Computers getting better, smarter, faster, nothing will stop it's progress and I want to be part of that. A solid foundation, (a modern operating system) is vital IMHO.

In computer terms Win 7 is approaching old age, it's probably time to think about moving to the next level, if the next level is any good for us.  Win 8 anyone ??  ;D

Windows holographic does look pretty amazing, if the hype is to be trusted.

OK there are a couple of "ifs"  ;)

Microsofts 'Hololens' Windows 10 Holographic Demonstration

Art

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2015, 12:39:41 am »
Come on Data! Windows 98 still works fine, doesn't it? People actually should never need more than 640 k of Ram anyhow!

Data said: "A solid foundation, (a modern operating system) is vital IMHO"

Why is that? Doesn't your word processor process enough words? Your spreadsheet provide enough cells and features?
Your graphics software showcase your creativity? Your games keep you amused and entertained? Your digital connections to Social Media provide plenty of interaction?

What then, is your reasoning for being a mainstreamer? One who prides himself in staying at the forefront of the Technology boom? Again, why?

Just trying to get your take on things that obviously seem important to you. Some of us might not have an ample supply of disposable income and some might simply be a bit too frugal to spring for a new computer every year or two, even though we know the computer you buy today is outdated within 6 months (if not sooner).

Actually, I'm just busting your chops a bit. You do not need to explain yourself at all. You do as you see fit cause you only get one ride through this lifetime. Enjoy it!

Data

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2015, 10:53:46 am »
Actually, I'm just busting your chops a bit. You do not need to explain yourself at all. You do as you see fit cause you only get one ride through this lifetime. Enjoy it!

It's a little more complicated than that for me, I work in I.T. and have to keep up to date to help people such as your good self with their computer problems.

It's simply to do with new hardware and needing an OS to take full advantage of it, eventually and unfortunately your hardware will fail and you will be forced to go to a computer store and buy a new machine, someone like me will have to be able to repair it if something goes wrong.  O0 

Art

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2015, 03:33:11 pm »
Sorry Data but over here, IT only applies to companies, corporations and larger businesses. Individuals will usually keep their computers long enough to get loaded down with attacking malware and virii (viruses) to the point they finally need to call for help. They'll then pay some guy to come to their house who will in turn tell them that he needs to take their computer to his shop to fix it. He does, runs a few programs on it to rid all those nasties, holds the computer for a few days, then takes it back wiping his brow telling them how hard it was for him to remove all those nasties and clean it up. He then charges them a hefty fee for which they are glad to pay. Some good anti-virus software could have avoided that but hey...business is good.

IT guys, usually involve themselves with routers, servers, connections, wiring, networking, troubleshooting and hardware diagnostics, etc. They wear nice clothes and get paid nicely too!

Yes, they really do need to keep on the cutting edge of technology in order to do those things I touched on above.
As with most things, the more you know, the more valuable you become!

I too plan to review Windows 10 in detail. I didn't say I was going to get and use it right away but I will take a serious look at it...just in case. :)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 03:09:05 am by Art »

Data

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2015, 02:27:54 pm »
Art, a nice stereotypical opinion right there.   O0

Of course we are all exactly like that, and don't forget we are all geeks as well.

The IT Crowd - Moss laughing at something

Art

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2015, 03:13:49 am »
Nice, but his eyeglasses aren't taped together and I didn't notice any plastic, pocket protector full of pens and pencils!
That alone tells me the video was just a skit or fake.

It's hard to break the molds of commonplace realism!

I too was a geek once, but I got over it!  I do laugh at those guys on The Big Bang Theory. American TV show, full of really tech smart geeky guys and gals but sadly, they possess little in the way of social skills or interaction, much like the stereotypical ones are. Go figure...Hollywood, I guess.

Data

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2015, 11:27:39 am »
Sometimes I feel like a Skylake trying to fit in a MPGA478 and then being asked to run Janus on it.

I guess it's going to take Graham's of cycles until I reach the mark.

One day I might lose my geek status and start getting in to chat bots  :P, until then Data out ...

Art

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2015, 03:46:35 pm »
Hey man...whatever pays the bills! O0

Data

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2015, 12:54:13 pm »
Finally some facts from the horses mouth.

Thanks to our Dave for finding it  O0

Windows 10 Q & A

Carl2

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2015, 11:49:14 am »
Data,
  Thanks for putting the link you put in, both you and Dave.  I just remembered I have 2 machines so I'll have to get the other one set up for the upgrade.
Carl2

Carl2

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2015, 02:21:07 pm »
  I just thought possibly Win 10 will not need another disk so I went to the link to see if this was answered and someone had asked the same question without an answer.  I do remember I put win 8 on this computer and after receiving many nag screens about upgrading it just told me I " I am going to upgrade to Win 8.1"  Not sure if I had to reinstall programs and things.  Of course a nice clean install on a clean disk is also nice. 
Carl2

nycfanbee

• Roomba
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2016, 08:22:53 am »
The update feature is almost killing me. It updates and reboots almost on everyday after turning it off. And force me to reset my password once the update was completed.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 03:45:41 am by nycfanbee »

Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by MikeB (AI News )
March 15, 2024, 08:14:02 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

283 Guests, 1 User
Users active in past 15 minutes:
squarebear
[Trusty Member]

Most Online Today: 312. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles