Re: Windows 7
« Reply #105 on: February 10, 2011, 10:45:53 pm »
Thanks dude  O0

photostill

• Trusty Member
  • Nomad
« Reply #106 on: February 11, 2011, 08:07:30 am »
I have to disagree on the Win 7  and retro gaming. Halo 1 runs fine on it. I've not had an issue what ever with it.

If you go back far enough, then ya, you start running into problems on retro gaming but it's because lots of the commands and file structures changed. Don't try old DOS games without an emulator.  They're not going to work. Around DOS 7, about 10 DOS commands were removed. Some of the win 98's won't work because that was the change over between FAT32 and NFTS. 

Despite of these, the legacy file holdovers do fairly well, with a little nudge here or there.

Data

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • Overclocked // Undervolted
    • Datahopa - Share your thoughts ideas and creations
« Reply #107 on: February 11, 2011, 11:13:20 am »
Im not sure who you are disagreeing with photostill.

What you posted sounds about right to me. O0

photostill

• Trusty Member
  • Nomad
« Reply #108 on: February 16, 2011, 01:09:23 am »
I ran into something interesting today that does prevent earlier games from running. Win 7 as well as Vista defaults with read only permissions for the containing folder. All files within that you might not be able to access can be changed. However the original folder itself can not be changed and this is a default behavior I am yet to find a way around. I have two older games that will not run on Win7 for this very reason.

Nothing that M$ says do affects it as it auto returns back to the read only as soon as you close the properties box and open it again. Taking UAC off, doesn't affect it, Doing attrib command through DOS does not work, and setting the read only attrib in the properties box does not work. Nor does changing the ownership permissions. It's a sneaky M$ has pulled.

DaveMorton

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
  • Safe, Reliable Insanity, Since 1961
    • Geek Cave Creations
« Reply #109 on: February 16, 2011, 08:56:16 am »
You may want to try right-clicking on the shortcut for the games in question, and select "Run as Administrator", and see if that works. I've also had some limited success with logging in as an administrator, and changing the permissions for the folder that the games are in to allow your usual account to have write privileges. That last option isn't always successful, though, and isn't recommended unless you're the only one using the computer, AND have enough experience with Windows' "inner workings" to prevent catastrophe. ;)
Comforting the Disturbed, Disturbing the Comfortable
Chat with Morti!
LinkedIn Profile
CAPTCHA4us

Data

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
« Reply #110 on: February 16, 2011, 10:50:39 am »
@ photostill

Sounds like you have tried just about every option for these games, now I would like to know, which games are causing this?

Heres a thought, where are the games installed? I would try installing to another drive, or not the drive with windows on, you should have more control over the folder rights on say D: drive. 

As GCC says you could try “Run as Administrator” but why do I think you have already tried that. Maybe try setting the Administrator rights in the compatibility tab, set the program to run always with admin privileges. 

Maviarab

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
  • What are you doing Dave?
    • The Celluloid Sage
« Reply #111 on: February 16, 2011, 02:31:13 pm »
Always be sure when installing old games to never let it auto install.....cancel it...open disc...and install from the setup.exe as administrator as well.

Not got a game yet that has not played perfectly on Win 7 64bit....

photostill

• Trusty Member
  • Nomad
« Reply #112 on: February 16, 2011, 05:43:12 pm »
Nothing mentioned in the above three posts has not already been tried, with the exception of putting it on another drive. That option isn't available due to the design of the motherboard. There are simply no allowances made for a second internal hd. No power supply lead, no sata powercord connector, yada yada. It was set up to only ever have one hd.

Even the command box was run as administrator. The problem here isn't a setting. It's a default behavior of both Win7 and Vista that it treats the top folder as a write only. It's like a protected file status. You can delete a protected file and it looks like it went...until you go look again and find out it is back. You can't delete protected files without removing the protected status first. However there seems to be no way to remove the read only or to change that read only for the top most folder.

Return To Castle Wolfenstien was the game's name. Another having problems with seeing the read only function is 3DMax which refuses to run and returns an error about not having permissions. I'll have to look for the other game's name.

Yes, I know about autoinstall. I purposely go into open the cd and then chose the folders so I can first assign administrator rights before starting an install.

Now moving it to another install site outside the default Program Files (x86) might work. Haven't tried that yet. I know that Program Files (x86) sets up a few extra barriers before accepting which means you go through a few more hoops with the UAC. That's about the only options left other than to run it on an XP box. Even compatibility choices fail to work including M$ own troubleshooting offered over it.

Data

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
« Reply #113 on: February 16, 2011, 05:58:47 pm »
You don’t need to put in any more hardware to have another drive in windows, simply use the built in Windows 7 disk manager, shrink the C: drive and then create a new volume.

You should have no problem with permissions on the new drive.

I always install my games onto their own drive, as a rule, its what gamers do.   

Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Operating System:Windows 7 Ultiamte x86

photostill

• Trusty Member
  • Nomad
« Reply #114 on: February 16, 2011, 06:04:54 pm »
I see something I have missed then. I will go look it up and try it. Guess you could say I'm an old gamer stretching back to the days of DOS. But never gamed with anyone else, nor had internet that would support gaming until recently.

DaveMorton

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
  • Safe, Reliable Insanity, Since 1961
    • Geek Cave Creations
« Reply #115 on: February 16, 2011, 06:32:36 pm »
I guess it should have occurred to me, as well, to suggest installing to a different drive/folder. I have my computer set up in such a way that the only thing on my C drive is the OS - And I literally mean the ONLY thing. All apps have their own drive and folder, games have a second, and I've even moved the "documents and settings" folder from the C drive to my Data drive. I've actually been doing this since Win98, so it's second nature now. :)
Comforting the Disturbed, Disturbing the Comfortable
Chat with Morti!
LinkedIn Profile
CAPTCHA4us

Data

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2011, 06:47:55 pm »
Absolutely agree GCC,
C: drive is for windows and anything that should be installed on the same drive, anti virus for instance normally insists on being on the same drive as windows, which incidentally doesn’t have to be C: drive, I have seen PC’s with windows on D: drive, personally I wouldn’t recommend that.

Was good watching the Castle Wolfenstein video, thanks for bringing it up photostill, that brings back some memories  :) 
you know I might have to go hunting for that disk, now where did I put it…

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #117 on: February 16, 2011, 07:17:26 pm »
Cracking game that :)

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #118 on: February 17, 2011, 01:28:13 am »
Always be sure when installing old games to never let it auto install.....cancel it...open disc...and install from the setup.exe as administrator as well.

Not got a game yet that has not played perfectly on Win 7 64bit....

Beg to differ old friend...
I found a super open source game that features 1st person shooter, deathmatch, multiplayer, great graphics and action.
It is called Nexuiz available at www.nexuiz.com . It is FREE and it runs like a scalded ape under Windows 7 - 64 bit! (at least on mine).
I can't remember when I've had so much fun. Well...OK...I really do but lets not go into that here!  ::) ;)
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

photostill

• Trusty Member
  • Nomad
« Reply #119 on: February 17, 2011, 05:08:26 am »
Many times in the past, I've run the OS on a D: drive. The main reason was many of the hard coded malwares are lost when they don't find a C:.

I'll partition off the drive and hope for better results but to be honest I think it will still be problems as I have noticed something that is in common for most of those that don't run. Those that seem to be a problem have a launcher instead of a direct exe file. The launcher gives you a set up choices as would most opening games, only it's not fully windowed. I'm leaning towards that might be the issue but will await till I've partitioned the drive.

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by MikeB (AI News )
March 31, 2024, 01:00:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

262 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 286. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles