Data

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • Overclocked // Undervolted
    • Datahopa - Share your thoughts ideas and creations
Re: Windows 7
« Reply #120 on: February 17, 2011, 12:06:44 pm »
Oh! Lookout.

Nexuiz looks great Art thanks for posting.

I see it runs on the “CryENGINE 3” an excellent engine, however I wouldn’t have thought you could buy a PC off the shelf and have it play this game at a decent FPS, unless you get a full on gaming rig.

Taken from the CryENGINE 3 site.

The CryENGINE® is a highly advanced development solution that surpasses all expectations for the creation of blockbuster games, movies, high-quality simulations and interactive applications.The third iteration of Crytek's proprietary CryENGINE® is the only all-in-one game development solution
for the PC, Xbox 360™ and PlayStation®3 that is truly next-gen ready.

When I get the time I will download it and install it onto my gaming machine in Windows 7 64bit then report back.

Data

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
« Reply #121 on: February 17, 2011, 05:25:35 pm »
Right,, some confusion.

There are, I think,  2 games called Nexuiz, Classic Nexuiz which I think is the game Art mentioned and Nexuiz which is the newer version that will use the CryENGINE 3. But to be honest I’m not even sure about the new Nexuiz game, the site is,,  well not very clear. I know this, the pictures on the homepage showing the game are nothing like the game I downloaded.   

Classic Nexuiz is an OpenGL game.
Normally unless you have a dedicated graphics card in your PC OpenGL doesn’t run at all well does it. 

Anyway I installed Classic Nexuiz and it runs at around 100FPS @ 1920 x 1080 and smooth as an androids bottom.  ;D

It reminds me of the Quake 3 engine, that was OpenGL too.

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #122 on: February 18, 2011, 12:16:18 am »
Sorry about the confusion DH but I've had Nexuiz for about a year now and didn't realize that they are working on a new Nexuiz. I guess the original one that I still use is now called the "Classic Nexuiz"...oh well...I guess they have to call it something instead of Nexuiz I and Nexuiz II, etc.

At any rate, I do enjoy playing against the bots and single player mode. After every level that you complete successfully, you then become presented with a new level. You must colplete each level in order to advance otherwise you will never see nor be allowed to play anything beyond the first 3 levels I believe. Each advanced level offers new tricks, traps and gameplay as well as a variety of bot types, intelligence, strengths and sheer numbers of bots!

For the price (FREE) it really is a great game!!

O0
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

photostill

• Trusty Member
  • Nomad
« Reply #123 on: February 18, 2011, 05:59:04 am »
Tried this out tonight. Didn't get it running at first on the Vista machine. Discovered after swapping machines, there is more than one exe in there. When I got the right one, it ran fine.

Thanks for the tip on the game.

Data

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
« Reply #124 on: February 22, 2011, 04:57:20 pm »
Microsoft are releasing Windows 7 Service pack 1 today 22 Feb 2011, it’s going to be available from the link below, it should also come in as a Windows up-date soon.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/service-packs/

photostill

• Trusty Member
  • Nomad
« Reply #125 on: February 22, 2011, 07:48:08 pm »
Interesting that Win7 is coming out with a new SP. One of the things I have learned is to be very leery of SPs when they first come out. If I take this SP, it will only be after some time has passed. I've see too many screwups to be fixed later, resulting in computers that need to have the OS reinstalled to fix.

My surfing computer is the latest victim of just such a problem. I waited on both SP1 and SP2 for Vista until I got really concerned over security updates that can not be gotten until you get the latest SP. To my dismay, the SP2 was not a very good fit to the net connections with this computer. Everything was fine until the installation and reboot after SP2 install. Once that was over, all of a sudden, the computer could not find it's own internal IP nor the gateway on the home net. The gateway is almost always a default and rarely changes. The IP should come up as a consecutive number within the LAN. However it didn't come up at all, resulting in having to reinstall the OS to cure this hardware/driver problem.

XP SP2 left people with partial installs and hung in the middle. The only cure seemed to be reinstall of the OS at first. M$ had to rewrite some of the SP2 to get it out of that loop.

So given all the past problems I will wait a while before accepting any SP.

Data

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
« Reply #126 on: February 23, 2011, 12:16:56 pm »
I can’t argue with any of that photostill, which is a shame because I like a good argument.  :D,

Oh hang on maybe the Vista SP1, I remember people crying out for SP1 on Vista, as it was so buggy on release, unlike Win 7.

But yeah, I can see why people aren’t going to rush to get Win 7 SP1, why bother putting the pack in if nothing is wrong with your system, and as they say “fools rush in”.

Anyway this fool is forced to install SP1, I need to know all the in and outs of applying it as I’m going to be putting it on a good number of systems over the next week or so.

The download took a long time for me, not my connection speed, but so many people seem to be downloading it that it’s flooding the server.

The install took about 20 mins and so far everything seems perfect, though obviously I haven’t had the chance to check everything in Windows yet, if I come across any problems I post it.

Attached are two images, one confirming the install and the other showing system properties also confirming SP1 is installed.   

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #127 on: February 23, 2011, 02:56:23 pm »
Thanks for being the Guinea Pig Data  ;D

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #128 on: April 07, 2011, 05:04:12 pm »
So, how is SP1 shaping up ?

I'm now thinking about updating mine.

Data

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
« Reply #129 on: April 07, 2011, 05:38:38 pm »
Its been perfect on all the computers I’ve put it on, I cant think of or haven’t seen any bad things that have come from it.

There has been the odd bugs with IE9, totally not related to SP1 but some might be confusing the two.

One thing that springs to mind is:

After the install of Win 7 SP1 and when you reboot, windows runs an optimisation tool in the background, this tool can take quite a while to complete its job, if you open task manager you can see it running. While it’s running and optimising, the PC can seem to be a little sluggish, so now I leave it to do its job for a while (maybe 15 mins) straight after the first reboot.   

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #130 on: April 07, 2011, 05:50:42 pm »
OK thanks, I'll do that tomorrow then.  Cheers  :)

Data

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
« Reply #131 on: April 11, 2011, 11:46:57 am »
How did the SP1 install go?

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #132 on: April 11, 2011, 11:49:33 am »
It went fine, seems to all be working okay :)

Data

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
« Reply #133 on: April 11, 2011, 11:54:33 am »
Good to know, thanks  O0

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #134 on: April 14, 2011, 01:08:38 pm »
It seems to be booting a little faster now too  :)

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
Today at 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

276 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 343. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles