Windows 7

• 137 Replies

lrh9

• Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
  • Rome wasn't built in a day.
Re: Windows 7
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2009, 07:12:30 am »
I recently built a new PC, and depended on the free Windows 7 Beta to be my OS so that I could free up some of the budget for hardware. My hardware supported 64-bit, so I downloaded and burned to disk the Windows 7 64-bit Beta. Install goes great. Fastest ever install I've ever done, maybe 30 to 45 minutes? Hour tops. Get to desktop. Looks great. I'm browsing the web, running the Windows Experience tests, installing firewall and anti-virus apps, etc. Then I install some of my DX9 games and they all crash to desktop. So the standard troubleshooting at this point is to upgrade DirectX and your drivers. So I download the latest version of DirectX and install it and I download the Windows 7 RC drivers for my motherboard and install them. Some games are better, but not much. I'd play for a minute and have a crash to desktop. So I finally decided to revert back to XP and I obtained a copy of XP professional. Games are much better. What was the problem? Either the games had compatibility issues with a 64-bit OS, or they had compatibility issues with Windows 7. Come to find out after I installed XP that they had released the XP virtual PC for Windows 7. I would've tried it before switching back. Now it isn't worth my time and effort to upgrade again.

Maviarab

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
  • What are you doing Dave?
    • The Celluloid Sage
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2009, 10:49:15 am »
Virtual PC does not support playing games LRH (tried it myself). You need more software again to get it to work, and then its a very bad experience.

Virtual PC is really only for working older apps that are not fully suported under a different OS.

As for install time, my current copies of XP Pro and Vista both install fully from a  clean drive in less than an hour...

I would imagine at the moment, that the majority of games/gfx cards (depending on age) are not fully compatible with windows 7 yet, just one of those things I guess, have to give it time. Main reason I only upgraded to Vista earlier this year, despite them having beta testing etc etc, it will be a good 18 month to my mind before it works correctly without major conflicts.

Another reason I still have a XP drive on my PC, I have many software apps and games that Vista just does not like (or vice versa).

lrh9

• Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2009, 01:53:19 pm »
Makes me look forward to the days when we can get A.I. to develop software for any hardware we have.

Data

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • Overclocked // Undervolted
    • Datahopa - Share your thoughts ideas and creations
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2009, 03:32:40 pm »
Games I have working in Windows 7 64 bit, with the latest sound and graphics card drivers installed.
I wouldn't use the graphics card drivers built into Win7 for games they are just so you can see the screen and go and download the latest drivers.

Crysis
Fallout 3
Flatout
GTA San Andreas
Juiced
Juiced 2
Oblivion
Quake 3
Quake 4
Serious Sam 2
Sherlock Holmes Nemeses
Sherlock Holmes Jack the Ripper
The Witcher

Steam also runs perfectly in W7

Games I have problems with
Grand Prix 4 (crashes to desktop)

Basically every game I have seems to run at least as good in Win7 as they do in XP except GP4, but GP4 is a very old Direct X 8 game that also has problems in XP.

This really surprised me, I thought it was going to be like the early days of Vista when around half the games wouldn't run and the other half had much lower frame rates, but no.

Still running a dual boot of XP and 7 just incase.

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2009, 03:41:07 pm »
That pleases me no end.  I'm not too worried by older games I have as once I am done with a game I rarely go back to it - but there's the odd couple I would like to still play.

I'll be going for 64 bit too, as they have now released the drivers for my motherboard.

I think I might go for dual boot just in case.  I forget - which one do you install first ?  Is it XP then W7 or W7 then XP ?  I have two drives I can use.

Data

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2009, 04:00:21 pm »
It pleases me too Freddy, i hardly ever go into XP now, but its been a good friend to me for a long time and I don't have the heart to get rid of it yet.

Yes the 64 bit is really the only way to go, forward.

My XP install is about a year old I think, anyway you can keep your XP you have now and just install win7 to the other drive, choose custom install and simply select the drive you want to install to, then Win7 will make the dual boot for you.

You can also undo the dual boot at any time if you want. leaving just XP or Win7.

EDIT:
To dual boot XP 32 and Win7 64 you have to run the install booting from the DVD, because you cant run the 64 bit Win7 install from XP 32 bit.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 04:07:31 pm by Datahopa »

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2009, 02:55:13 pm »
Hmm, trouble for me is the drive that XP is on now is the one I want to use for 7 - simply because it is quieter than the other one.  I know it's not that loud really, but it makes the familiar scratchy noise when it is working - so I only use it for storage, which was mainly why I bought it anyway.

I really need to do a clean install of XP I think, just to get that fresh feeling and remove all the junk that I am sure has built up.  If 7 is good for me then I may not even have to.  I guess I can install 7 then install XP on the storage drive.

I know what you mean about XP, it's really the best OS Micro$oft have ever made, which is why I never bothered with Vista.

Maviarab

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
  • What are you doing Dave?
    • The Celluloid Sage
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2009, 04:07:53 pm »
Now I keep saying this, but never had a problem with Vista. I actually prefer it to XP now (still have an xp drive though for graphics work).

Spent a week getting into its nooks and crannies, removed all the user Cp crap that vista has, and it runs like a drea,. Miles faster, great for games...very happy with it.

I think the biggets problem with Vista was, that they changed too much stuff at the same time and it alienated folk, once you get to know it, its a great OS imo.

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2009, 07:17:54 pm »
Mav,

I tried to do the upgrade with my XP box to Vista and found so many problems with existing software and some hardware that I removed it and reverted to XP.

My wife's XP computer eventually died and we replaced it with a new Vista based machine and I must say that everything that she wants to do with it, is pretty much a snap! The only thing she had to get rid of was her old scanner (and it was rather old). Other than that, she loves it and I am...still plugging away on my old XP...

A lot of people are touting the new Windows 7 and I too may look at it after some of the initial dust settles.

In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

Data

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2009, 12:04:16 pm »
Freddy:

To dual boot from scratch put in XP first then Win 7,

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2009, 02:06:12 pm »
Ok dokey - I will, thanks.

On Mav's and Art's comments about Vista, I think the main thing here is that you are happy with what you have got and that it works for you - that's the real test of a system.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 02:18:45 pm by Freddy »

Art

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2009, 07:21:39 pm »
Freddy,
True enough to a point but as we all (or most of us) know, a real salesman will "Sell the sizzle...not the steak!"

Microsoft often touts an OS as the latest, greatest thing since pockets on a shirt only to have it NOT be embraced with open arms by the masses. Such was the case with Windows Me...undoubtedly one of the worst OS train wrecks to ever happen. They couldn't wait for it to go away (neither could those who owned it).

While many flavors of Open Source linux are available, not all are met with equal levels of enthusiasm although the product itself falls into your aforementioned category of people being happy with the way it performs for them. I happen to be really pleased with Ubuntu, Open Office and several other "wares". Are they mainstream? No because a lot of businesses do not use them but have settled for the more commonplace and accepted software, so we reluctantly use them.

While choices are often good, standards are many and unique! Strange that!

G'day!

lrh9

• Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2009, 10:36:21 pm »
I think one good thing is that software and data are becoming portable. The days when software will only work on one operating system that only works on a certain set of hardware and files are proprietary formats that can only be modified by one application will soon be gone. I credit these positive changes to open source communities and new software design practices, allowing the creation of open standards that can be easily interfaced with a multitude of technologies.

one

• Starship Trooper
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2009, 03:16:38 am »
Accountability,
I would rather have a Watch from a reputable place of purchase than from a street with no name and inside a trench coat from a...NM.

(Swiss of course).
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 03:21:48 am by one »
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

Art

• Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2009, 11:35:24 pm »
One,

But with the Open Source watches you could easily (and cheaply I might add) change a damaged main spring or counter balance wheel or digital assembly if so required. It would most likely continue to keep fairly accurate time for months or days to come.

Naw...for the purists, this definitely doesn't sound like something they'd want to have. You?

;)

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
March 28, 2024, 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

342 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 396. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles