Nope, Not me. :o
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
Re: Windows 7
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2009, 10:55:36 am »
Well I kinda like windows.  My Windows 7 turned up today - now I have to back everything up on my system and store a lot of things so I can upgrade.

Data

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • Overclocked // Undervolted
    • Datahopa - Share your thoughts ideas and creations
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2009, 11:31:46 am »
I heard that PC world had shipped W7 a couple of days early.

Congratulations and good luck with the up-grade Freddy.

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2009, 12:13:48 pm »
Thanks  ;D  Yes, earlier than expected or I might have been ready !

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2009, 09:06:08 pm »
Freddy:

To dual boot from scratch put in XP first then Win 7,

Datahopa,

Is it possible to remove XP at a later date if needs be ?  Just wondering...It's a big drive it is going on so I don't really care if it stays on there.

It looks like my old printer will be compatible from what I have read.  And Canon are releasing drivers later this week apparently so that's my scanner sorted.

Can't run Virtual XP because my CPU doesn't support Intel Virtualisation Technology... but that would be possible in the new year when I was thinking of going quad core.  Is that feature any good anyway ?  Probably not as effective as an actual XP installation I guess ?

Well I am going to sleep on it I think... spent most of the day backing up everything...will take the plunge tomorrow !

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2009, 10:30:41 am »
What's the hurry? This doesn't seem like the cautious Freddy of days gone by who used to wait for
things to settle before jumping into the fray.

Will the real Freddy please stand up (Phrase from old American TV show called, "What's My Line?).

I'm going to wait, like I should have done with so many of those "Jumped on the bandwagon" things
I've done in life.
 ;D
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

Data

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2009, 12:20:12 pm »
The simple answer to your question Freddy is yes

You can undo a dual boot leaving either XP or Win 7

As for drivers, a lot of the time the vista drivers will work fine in Win7, Im using Vista 64 bit drivers for my printer.

Art, we used to have "What's My Line?" here in the UK too

In Freddys favor I know he ordered Win 7 a while ago and has been waiting quite a long time already, Im sure he really wants to get Win 7 going ASAP to see what all the hype is about.

I know I did   ;)

EDIT:
I just remembered something about drivers and Win 7:

If you see a warning come up when you try to install a driver something like

This drive has known compatibility issues with WIN 7, then DONT install it.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 01:10:49 pm by Datahopa »

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2009, 01:43:10 pm »
What's the hurry? This doesn't seem like the cautious Freddy of days gone by who used to wait for
things to settle before jumping into the fray.

Well no it's not really like me I guess - I do tend to wait normally.  But with Windows 7 I did try out the Beta version a little and was impressed, so I haven't really rushed into it.  The other main reason I bothered so soon is that the pre-order price was so low, that it seemed a good opportunity to take.  I saved around £50 ($100 or so) doing this.

I was originally in no rush to install it, but Datahopa is right - I ordered it weeks ago and now I am too curious to know what it is like.  It also comes at a time when I really want to flush the junk out of my PC with a fresh install, so all the auspices seem to lead this way.

Thanks for the extra info Datahopa, I will see if there is a Vista driver for my printer which would give me the full features.

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2009, 09:52:15 pm »
Well I am now on 64 bit Windows 7  ;D

That went amazingly smoothly - I didn't have to worry about drivers much as all of them were already supplied.  The only trouble I have had was getting it to recognise my USB wireless adapter.

Beautiful to look at and it seems a lot faster - especially with things like images.  So many goodies to try out too.  They also have the prettiest DVD's I have seen hehe..

Tomorrow I'll see how it handles my software.

Bragi

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • Neural network design blog
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2009, 07:41:45 am »
It also comes at a time when I really want to flush the junk out of my PC with a fresh install
That time has come to me to, long ago. I sent it away, and now it punished me by making everything crawl to a halt ;)

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2009, 11:28:00 am »
Well it was beginning to crawl a little, but I try out no end of new programs all the time, so my PC tends to fill up from time to time.  Fresh installs are great, the only bad thing is hoping you managed to backup everything that you think you will want to keep.

Another question for Art or Datahopa - you two are more clued up about hardware than me - I was just wondering if in the future I were to take this CPU out of my PC and drop in a new one; would I need to reinstall windows ?  I remember a long time ago I dropped a hardrive from one PC with Windows on it into a totally different machine and it managed to figure everything out.

I know there is/was some point system in XP/Vista - presumably I would be able to reinstal windows if I needed and get MS to acknowledge the new system ?

Thanks.

Data

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2009, 01:20:03 pm »
That’s good news Freddy, I’m glad it went in without too much trouble, as a matter of interest what make is your USB wireless adapter?

It sounds like you have found Win7 fast to use, like me, I don’t normally believe the hype, MS have always said this new OS is faster but in my experience its never been faster (vista) (ME) etc but it seems they have got it right with Win7.

As for changing the CPU I don’t think you will have a problem, as long as your motherboard supports the new one. It might be worth up-dating the BIOS before you put the new one in.

If you had to change the motherboard that would be a different story, the chances are that at least you would have to re activate Windows or you might have to re-install from scratch because there is a chance that the PC might not even boot.

Have you turned off the nag screens yet Freddy?  One of the first things I did.

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2009, 04:16:49 pm »
My USB adapter is this one :

http://www.lm-technologies.com/home/wi-fi/LM001/wi-fi-usb-adapter-g

Some how between last night and this morning the driver seemed to become corrupted.  It might have something to do with me trying the install from disc and then when that didn't work - getting windows search the CD for itself.  I think I had some conflict there and possibly more than one instance if that makes sense.  So I removed it, un-installed and deleted the drivers and any mention of it.

Then I plugged it in and let Windows do it itself by searching the CD for whatever was suitable.  It was one of those things that made me leap for joy when it worked.  Getting 6MB speed here now, though a lot depends on the site of course..

And yes it really is fast - it boots quicker than XP did too.  It's fast to get around too - it does seem well organised and I managed to figure out fairly technical things pretty quickly.

Google Chrome is even faster now too.  I found I like IE8, but there's so much clutter there.

Thanks for the tip on the CPU - yes the one I have my eye on is compatible - it's a quad core that has the same wattage as this dual core.  Trouble is it costs about £160 from scan... but I can wait for that to come down, not in any hurry.

Nag screens ?  You mean all the 'DO you want this program to change your PC ?' things ?  I haven't found them annoying yet, but I haven't installed a lot.  But yes, probably one to turn off !

Maviarab

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
  • What are you doing Dave?
    • The Celluloid Sage
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2009, 07:59:54 pm »
The idiot proof message Freddy lol. Started with Vista (UAC), fiorst thing I disabled lol.

There should be some option in my opinion when installing windows that asks...

Are you an idiot?

Yes - install idiot proof you can't sue us windows..

No - install normal windows where people like us can actually do what we want, when we want without being asked for verification for the 100th time...

one

• Starship Trooper
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2009, 11:09:38 pm »
Freddie,
I haven't had much time to keep updated on what is happening here but, Quads and some other intel processors are 'Pinless' and all I have seen in the Duals/Duos have the pins on the chip instead of in the MB/ just another thing to look for with new hardware..
Bios will know a new chip is there and probably want voltage settings..
IF successful the OS will run fine.. (Datahopa, Will the task manager have a conflict with displaying the activity and number of cores??)

Good luck,
J.
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
Today at 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

296 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 343. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles