Windows XP is still alive

• 15 Replies

GT40

• Trusty Member
  • Millennium Man
    • My Bots
Windows XP is still alive
« on: February 23, 2011, 04:48:47 pm »

Microsoft announced it would allow some Windows 7 customers to buy Windows XP “downgrade” licenses until January 2020.

It's an old article and maybe just for business customers but I love it!!

http://chicagobreakingbusiness.com/2010/07/microsoft-to-support-windows-xp-for-10-more-years.html

I know, not politically correct at all here.  :party_2:

"There is no RL. Only AFK." (Jamie Jervil, resident of Second Life)

Data

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
  • Overclocked // Undervolted
    • Datahopa - Share your thoughts ideas and creations
Re: Windows XP is still alive
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 04:57:47 pm »
GT, go and stand in the corner with your hands on your head and stay there until you start behaving properly. Bad boy.  ???

Oh no, another 10 years of up-dates, that’s going to be what 1000 updates for a clean install of XP, “pulling hair out” 

Good find :)

DaveMorton

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
  • Safe, Reliable Insanity, Since 1961
    • Geek Cave Creations
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 06:27:20 pm »
I think I'll still have XP when Windows 12, 256bit Edition is offering SP5. :P
Comforting the Disturbed, Disturbing the Comfortable
Chat with Morti!
LinkedIn Profile
CAPTCHA4us

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 07:03:24 pm »
XP is a great OS...my Mum is still using it too, works a treat  8)

Duskrider

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 09:29:32 pm »

My desktop computer is XP and I love it.
It does so much so well and can run all my favorite programs and never questions me as to who  the administrator is. 
Sometimes it will freeze, and makes me think it's dying.  But been doing it couple years and always comes back to a full active life.   

DaveMorton

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • Geek Cave Creations
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 10:08:18 pm »
Ah, yes. the whole "I'm stopping what you were doing because I don't believe you're an administrator, even though you're on an admin account, but I'll just ask you if you are, and then not ask for any sort of verification before I let you continue" protection scheme. Does anyone else see the logic failure here?  :idiot2:  :tickedoff:
Chat with Morti!
LinkedIn Profile
CAPTCHA4us

squarebear

• Trusty Member
  • Terminator
  • It's Hip to be Square
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 10:48:06 pm »
I'm still on a mixture of Windows 98 SE and Windows 2000 here. They do everything I need and see no reason to upgrade just for the sake of it.
Feeling Chatty?
www.mitsuku.com

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 02:03:49 am »
I'm still on Windows for Workgroups 3.1 and I'm having trouble getting the aero themes to display...

Oh yes...kidding...that was last year...maybe not!

From 2.0, 3.0, 3.11, 95, 98se, XP, Vista, Win 7... it has been a real journey...ok...more like a bumpy road.

Any wonder why Mr. Gates is so wealthy? I'm just one of many tens of thousands of thousands of people who did the same thing. Wow!! That equates to a lot of money.

But it's good that we all needed all those bells and whistles and enhancements and neato graphics and gizmos and stuff. Right?  It is...isn't it?

We're done right? As soon as we get to Win 8 or 9 or.... ??? ::)
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

DaveMorton

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • Geek Cave Creations
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 04:30:25 am »
I'm still on a mixture of Windows 98 SE and Windows 2000 here.

From time to time, I read about the quest for "Near Zero Boot-Time (NZBT) Operating Systems, and I have to laugh at the fact that, with the processor speeds we have these days, Win98 already HAS that capability. I think that if Win 98 were able to use NTFS, and had the ability to access the vast volumes of RAM that even XP could, I would still be using it, even without support from M$. Except for a few games that I play, the vast majority of what I do on a computer would still work on 98. :P Oddly enough, I still have in my desk the 6 floppies that make up the Win 3.1.1 installation.  :D
Chat with Morti!
LinkedIn Profile
CAPTCHA4us

Bragi

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
    • Neural network design blog
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 09:26:37 am »
I'm still on a mixture of Windows 98 SE and Windows 2000 here. They do everything I need and see no reason to upgrade just for the sake of it.
Wow, now that's retro. Wouldn't have anything  to do with music production would it?

My mom, sisters and brother in law (1, not the other one), are all still on XP, it came with their computer, and I'm not gonna be spending the time to upgrade/brake it. On occation (just sunday to be exact), one of them asks if I can 'make their computer fast again' (read:remove spyware, clutter,....). I just put them besides my dev machine, and run a couple of clean up softs while programming. It always surprises me how well these machines run again after some clean up.  My dev machine on the other hand, keeps on getting slower and slower (Visual studio, that is, after x plugins) 

From time to time, I read about the quest for "Near Zero Boot-Time (NZBT) Operating Systems, and I have to laugh at the fact that, with the processor speeds we have these days, Win98 already HAS that capability. I think that if Win 98 were able to use NTFS, and had the ability to access the vast volumes of RAM that even XP could, I would still be using it, even without support from M$.
Ye, I also don't really understand how they manage to make the OS slower and slower, can't they re-use any of the tricks that they used in the past?

photostill

• Trusty Member
  • Nomad
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 10:41:42 am »
They keep loading more crap into the OS of the computer.

It's bad enough that it logs everything you do multiple times with some of them encrypted so you can't find them. After 6 months to a year, the system needs the OS reinstalled just to clean the crap logs up.

I too am amazed that with Moore's law running, that we have such slow boot up times. I suspect a lot of the problem isn't just logs but also the phone homes to report to M$, the DRM that is constantly in your system, peering over your shoulder to see if you are doing something you shouldn't be, and the constant need to scan, defrag, and delouse your computer, all add to the time factor invested to keep the dang thing running.

I remember very well Win 98. That was the last OS system where you were still using DOS to boot up games and having to write config and autoexec files for memory management.

Data

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 06:43:37 pm »
Ah, yes. the whole "I'm stopping what you were doing because I don't believe you're an administrator, even though you're on an admin account, but I'll just ask you if you are, and then not ask for any sort of verification before I let you continue" protection scheme. Does anyone else see the logic failure here?  :idiot2:  :tickedoff:

I agree GCC it is nuts, which is why one of the first things I do after installing Win7 is to turn off all the nag screens.

Control Panel, User Accounts, Change User Account Control Settings.

Take the slider all the way to the bottom.

Data

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 12:22:44 pm »
You know, Im happy XP is going to be kept alive for some time yet, Sony ACID Pro 5.0 wont install into Win 7 for me and ACID Pro 7.0, that does run in 7, is over £200 to buy, too much considering its just a hobby.

Dual booting here  O0

Data

• Trusty Member
  • Eve
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 01:45:54 pm »
Alive for one more day, it's time has come, don't get caught out  :-[

Support ends On April 8, 2014

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/end-support-help

Art

• At the end of the game, the King and Pawn go into the same box.
  • Trusty Member
  • Colossus
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2014, 12:32:12 am »
Yep...Although one version of XP will continue to run just fine, you will no longer receive any Support of Windows Security Updates for it.
Basically, Microsoft is trying to tell you in their own "nicely implied" way, Use at your own risk!! If you get a virus or if it fails to run properly on or after April 8th!!

Tread lightly and carefully.... ;)
In the world of AI, it's the thought that counts!

OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by ivan.moony (AI News )
Today at 01:31:53 pm
Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

250 Guests, 1 User
Users active in past 15 minutes:
WriterOfMinds
[Trusty Member]

Most Online Today: 335. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles