• 27 Replies

GamerThom

• Departed Friend.
  • Starship Trooper
  • Mind is all that Matters!
    • Character Creations & Design Works
PaintShop PRO ?
« on: February 03, 2006, 01:47:08 am »
Just picked up some new photo & graphics editing software from Jasc - Paint Shop PRO 9 w/ animation studio.  I got it to use in creating & modifying Head Skins for use in People Putty and making new skins for the fullbods.  It's not an over-priced bit of software - Less than $150.00 U.S. So I will let everyone here know how well it works out for these types of projects. If it works as well as I hope, then it's a pretty good bargain for those of us on less than ample budgets. I'll post my results here before February 14th. Along with a few samples - skins, Textures and backgrounds.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 12:22:36 pm by Freddy »
Gamer-T

Duskrider

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
Re: PaintShop PRO ?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 03:23:13 am »
Tom,
I look forward to your report.  :)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 12:22:50 pm by Freddy »

GamerThom

• Departed Friend.
  • Starship Trooper
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 07:01:05 pm »
Here is what I've got on Jasc's - PaintShop PRO so far.

I started out with the trial version of Pro9 about 2 weeks ago to get a feel for the interface and controls. I have to say it was pretty easy to learn and the interface and utilities are quite good. But the price was a little high for my budget.

Forunately I found a cheaper alternative in PRO 8 version. It's not easy to find, but it is still on the market and there isn't all that much difference between versions 8 & 9. The big difference is that Pro9 can handle a few more file types than version 8, and it has a couple of extra filters. But for the difference in price, version 8 is just as functional and adaptive.

The tools are very good in Pro8 and it has utilities for creating custom brush tips, etc. plus a function for recording tasks and scripts for use in multiple edits and batch processing. It is very customizable with a little effort. Pro8 also comes with the same Animation Suite as Pro9 which creates and saves work in several formats. Work can be converted to Raster Layers for easy manipulation of individual elements and transfered to the animation utility. As I continue to explore and utilize the various tools & utilities I will update this report and notify you as to any bugs which I may run across.

PaintShop Pro 9 retails for between $130.00 & $150.00 (U.S.). But I located Pro8 for order on-line at a cost of $25.00 plus the usual shipping charges and any applicable tax. The on-line store is a U.S. site - nothingbutsoftware.com . It is only available on CD, no downloads. I got Pro8 on sale there for $23.95 + S&H & tax. Not a bad bargain.

Here is a couple of examples of what I was able to do using PaintShop Pro 8 in conjunction with MS PhotoStandard9(basic ver) and People Putty.

I'm sure that the gif animation would have come out looking better if I had taken the time to crop
all the frames to the same size. :)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 12:24:18 pm by Freddy »
Gamer-T

GamerThom

• Departed Friend.
  • Starship Trooper
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 08:26:08 pm »
Here are some additional screenshots showing some of the drop-down tool & utility menus.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 12:24:54 pm by Freddy »
Gamer-T

GamerThom

• Departed Friend.
  • Starship Trooper
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 08:44:12 pm »
I just got done checking the current price of PaintShop Pro 8 as listed at nothingbutsoftware.com
 and they now have Version 9 of PaintShop Pro for $73.00 . Now I wish I had waited a few more days to buy ver9. ???
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 12:26:11 pm by Freddy »
Gamer-T

FuzzieDice

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 09:36:14 pm »
I've used PSP for years, since version 4.x. I was beta tester for a few versions and also wrote an accessory software for it as well as lots of tutorials at one time. I used to be well known in that community.

Corel bought out Jasc over a year or so ago. So it's no longer by JASC. Corel.com has the new Paint Shop Pro X (10) now. I'm still using 8.1 though, and use it for a lot of things.

Try using the warp tools as well as the ball effect (in PSP 9, I have no idea where those are in the menus, but look around. The Warp tool should be in with the brushes somewhere, I think).

These you might find useful building heads, warping stuff, etc. Also the brush tool's options palette (you may have to turn this on), let you vary the brush parameters to get certain effects.

I wish I could help with PSP 9 but I don't have that version. There may still be tutorials on the internet though for this version. Thing is, every version, they radically would change things so it was hard to write tutorials but what would happen is the next version would make the tutorials useless. One of the reasons I gave up writing tutorials. Also their tube and PSP file formats would change too, which would make it hard to make new picture tubes (something that I had done  A LOT of in the PSP Heydays).

PSP is still a great program though. I think easier to learn that The Gimp (they have a Linux and a Windows version). And as you know PSP is far more affordable than Adobe's PhotoShop.

I've seen people do some great paintings in PSP as well as some 3D stuff. In fact, here's a picture of a lady I painted in PSP one time. I used a mouse though as at the time I didn't have my graphics tablet.

GamerThom

• Departed Friend.
  • Starship Trooper
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2006, 09:44:06 pm »
I opted for PSP 8.1 FuzzieD, just because of the price. I've already located all the tools and their subsequent user settings.  Like I said and you agreed with, it's a great little program and easy as hell to learn and use.  8)

Yeah, I also know about Jasc being taken over by Corel, but on the PaintShop Pro Series packaging they
are still using the Jasc branding label. I think they are doing that so as not to confuse it with Corels own
original line of Graphics Suites.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 12:26:47 pm by Freddy »
Gamer-T

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2006, 12:25:51 pm »
Looks like a nice program.  I am a Ulead user and have been happily scrawling away on it for a few years now, but I am always looking at new things, I discovered Canvas a while ago too which is a nice program with some nice paint effects.  Looks like PSP is another one I can add to my collection! Thanks for the review, it's good to read and while I'm on the subject thanks for contributing so much to the site  :)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 12:27:05 pm by Freddy »

doc

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2006, 01:15:50 pm »
I have been using Paint Shop Pro 7 since it came out and I am still pretty content with it. Before that I used the shareware version of PaintShop but it regulary crashed on my computer. What keeps surprising me is that Paint Shop is actually the only serious drawing program that can be found in shops in my country. I never encountered a boxed version of PhotoShop for example.

I wonder why that is? Any ideas?

doc

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2006, 01:20:57 pm »
Let's face the facts, gang. If this splash screen doesn't convince you to buy this program, then what??  :D
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 12:27:25 pm by Freddy »

Duskrider

• Trusty Member
  • Replicant
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2006, 03:29:46 pm »
I'm impressed!!!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 12:27:47 pm by Freddy »

ALADYBLOND

• Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2006, 03:41:05 pm »
i use ulead , fauve mattise, print shop 11, and picture prep, and some hp photo imaging. i go from one program to another by save or copy and paste until i get the desired result, since each one has a little something else to offer.~~alady
~~if i only had a brain~~

Freddy

• Administrator
  • Colossus
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2006, 04:53:17 pm »
I also get tired of seeing Photoshop just about everywhere too so I like to avoid it.   ;)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 12:28:04 pm by Freddy »

doc

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2006, 06:04:35 pm »
I also get tired of seeing Photoshop just about everywhere too so I like to avoid it. :wink

Uh-oh, you meant Paint Shop, right? PhotoShop is much more expensive.

Alady, you said: Print Shop. That name brings back some very old memories, like even before Windows existed, and I could only choose between black & white or 16 radioactive colours for drawings.
I think the artist in me has been traumatized by having to use that program in the past.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 12:28:28 pm by Freddy »

ALADYBLOND

• Trusty Member
  • Starship Trooper
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2006, 08:39:13 pm »
im so sorry doc, maybe it has had an effect on me i didnt realize. :zdg_huh~~alady
~~if i only had a brain~~

Say good-bye to GPUs...
by MikeB (AI News )
March 23, 2024, 09:23:52 am
OpenAI Speech-to-Speech Reasoning Demo
by MikeB (AI News )
March 15, 2024, 08:14:02 am
Google Bard report
by ivan.moony (AI News )
February 14, 2024, 04:42:23 pm
Elon Musk's xAI Grok Chatbot
by MikeB (AI News )
December 11, 2023, 06:26:33 am
Nvidia Hype
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 10:04:52 pm
How will the OpenAI CEO being Fired affect ChatGPT?
by 8pla.net (AI News )
December 06, 2023, 09:54:25 pm
Independent AI sovereignties
by WriterOfMinds (AI News )
November 08, 2023, 04:51:21 am
LLaMA2 Meta's chatbot released
by 8pla.net (AI News )
October 18, 2023, 11:41:21 pm

Users Online

310 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 335. Most Online Ever: 2369 (November 21, 2020, 04:08:13 pm)

Articles